Alliances Mod (for 1.16, 1.18)

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ForestDragon

Alliances Mod (for 1.16, 1.18)

Post by ForestDragon »

here's another mod I've made: it allows players to make alliances with eachother. Mostly intended to be used with free-for-all (everyone against everyone) maps. The mod's menus can be accessed via rightclick options on leaders (to become allies, select an enemy leader, and choose the 'Send alliance request to this side' option, while if you want to betray your team or leave your alliance, select your leaver, and open the alliances mod menu. There's also a togglable option to send/request gold to/from other players. With this mod, players are technically on 2 teams at once: their initial team, and the alliance they're in.

Please report any bugs with the mod here.
Last edited by ForestDragon on February 27th, 2024, 2:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Re: Alliances Mod (for 1.12)

Post by Ravana »

For most realistic ffa matches, you might not have visibility of enemy leader, and both menu revealing their location and denying diplomacy then seem unsuitable results.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Ravana wrote:For most realistic ffa matches, you might not have visibility of enemy leader, and both menu revealing their location and denying diplomacy then seem unsuitable results.
ok, I'll upload fix for revealing hidden leaders soon.

EDIT: done
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

large update;
-added team chat and private messages
-added an 'are you sure?' question to the betrayal option.
-When moving onto an ally's village, the moving unit's owner has the choice of either capturing the village, or just putting a unit there for healing.
-added option to transfer village ownership to allies.
Krogen

Post by Krogen »

Hello, i've just played with this mod today, with some friends.
We noticed that when a player sends a request to another, the question comes up for the player who sent the request. So he can offer an alliance and he is the one who can accept it too. But after that it works properly, the other player can actually break the alliance next turn. We thought it was because the shuffle was on, but after i tried without it, and the problem still occured. Most of the time alliances will happen after the players discussed it before, but still, it's a pretty big problem that the player who offers the alliance can answer on behalf of the other party.
Also, it's a great mod, and we plan to use it again. I just want to let you know that it'll definitely worth the work.
"A lion doesn't concern himself with the opinions of the sheep." - Tywin Lannister
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Thanks! I released a small update that should hopefully fix the bug. Unfortunately I don't have time to test it in multiplayer, so I guess I'll leave that part to you.
Krogen

Post by Krogen »

I downloaded the new version and tested it, with every other modifications turned off, but still, the same problem occurs.
"A lion doesn't concern himself with the opinions of the sheep." - Tywin Lannister
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Krogen wrote: March 4th, 2018, 8:54 pm I downloaded the new version and tested it, with every other modifications turned off, but still, the same problem occurs.
hmm... it seems code works differently in MP than I thought. I'll try to take a closer look.
Choicerer

Post by Choicerer »

Hi, Forest. Two days ago Enclave, ghype and Lisa and I tried hosting a QCiv game with your diplomacy mod. Qciv is Enclave's new mod that is aiming to be like the Civilization series games, so it definitely needs such functionality. Well, I think Enclave is working on his own diplomacy mod that might be a bit more Civ-like in that it will have unbreakable treaties etc, but I wanted to let you know your mod has some bugs.
First - Messages aren't private, neither the ones you send on forming an alliance, nor any private message your mod allows to send. They will be shown for all players. Same with sending gold, in itself it isn't broken, but the message gets displayed to all players.
Second - The thing that's already been raised. You can force alliances on people, because instead of the person in question, you get to decline or accept your own offer.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Choicerer wrote: April 26th, 2018, 2:12 pm Hi, Forest. Two days ago Enclave, ghype and Lisa and I tried hosting a QCiv game with your diplomacy mod. Qciv is Enclave's new mod that is aiming to be like the Civilization series games, so it definitely needs such functionality. Well, I think Enclave is working on his own diplomacy mod that might be a bit more Civ-like in that it will have unbreakable treaties etc, but I wanted to let you know your mod has some bugs.
First - Messages aren't private, neither the ones you send on forming an alliance, nor any private message your mod allows to send. They will be shown for all players. Same with sending gold, in itself it isn't broken, but the message gets displayed to all players.
Second - The thing that's already been raised. You can force alliances on people, because instead of the person in question, you get to decline or accept your own offer.
thanks for the bugreport! Unfortunately I don't quite have the time for implementing the bugfixes at the moment. Anyway, nice to see that people are starting to make diplomacy mods of their own (perhaps my buggy attempt will at least serve as a decent code-wise foundation for future, more polished, projects)
ForestDragon

Re: Alliances Mod (for 1.12.1.14)

Post by ForestDragon »

Hello everyone. After months of neglect, I decided to revive the project a bit. This time I uploaded the add-on to 1.14, and tracked down the cause of the bug reported by players, and hopefully fixed it for real (I accidentally wrote "for_side=" in messages when I should have wrote "side_for="). However, as the fix relies on 1.14-exclusive code, the 1.12 version will, unfortunately, remain unplayable (however, it isn't a huge loss, given that most of the community already moved to 1.14). I haven't done multiplayer playtesting again, so bugreports are appreciated.

Also, my apologies for delaying the release so much. I almost forgot about this mod's existence while working on other projects.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Hello everyone. The alliance mod has now been ported to 1.16, and there's been a few tweaks/fixes added in version 1.2.0. Changelog:
-removed team chat, as mainline already has that
-send gold/village transfer options are now enabled by default
-it is no longer possible to send private messages to sides you can't see through fog
-fixed some messages showing for the wrong sides
ForestDragon

Re: Alliances Mod (for 1.16)

Post by ForestDragon »

The 1.3.0 update for Alliances Mod is out! Changelog:
-you can now privately send/demand gold to/from enemies (useful if you want to bribe/ransom)
-private messages are now sent in [chat] instead of [message] (as otherwise you could easily lose the message by clicking on it, and observers could see it)
-fixed team name not being properly shown when joining a team after betraying your own
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

The 1.4.0 update for Alliances Mod is out! Changelog:
-the mod now comes with 'crisis succession' version of crusader fields, hexcake and mokana praerie maps. unlike when playing with alliances mod on normal scenarios, here you don't immediately win if you ally with everyone, instead you have to be the only one remaining to win, and therefore will need to backstab your allies a lot
-added option to transfer your units to another side

Anyway, if you like the mod, I would appreciate if you also check out The Great Steppe Era
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

The 1.5.0 update for Alliances Mod is out! Now the mod has been fully translated into Russian.