Armory Mod - Sp/Mp mod

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Samonella

Armory Mod - Sp/Mp mod

Post by Samonella »

Arm your swordsman with a javelin, or capture an enemy's battle-axe so your dark adept can defend herself! A complete weapon inventory system that works with all default factions, and many add-on units as well. Works in both multiplayer and campaigns, with an easy-to-use interface.

This is a discussion thread for Armory Mod. Unlike other mods/campaigns that feature inventory systems (at least, unlike others that I've seen) this mod allows all units to share or steal each other's weapons, taking into account different units' skills. For example, a Longbowman's 10x3 bow changes to 9x2 for a Swordsman, making it a useful sidearm. But it's 8x3 for Lieutenants, who are already accustomed to crossbows (but are not as skilled as the original Longbowman). Also, units like bats can't pick up or use weapons, and attacks like a wolf's fangs can't be shared or stolen.

Though behavior can be unpredictable for campaign events that suddenly give units new attacks or modifies old ones (for example, holy water doesn't work very well) that should be a relatively small hitch to playing mainline campaigns with this add-on. I haven't tested it with all of them, but at the moment I can't find any serious bugs. Even better, it should be very easy for me to add compatibility with add-on campaigns and eras, so if you enjoy the mod please feel free to make requests.

All other comments and feedback are also welcome! Please let me know if you find anything odd, like a unit you think should be allowed to use weapons but currently isn't.
Last edited by Samonella on June 12th, 2018, 2:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
The last few months have been nothing but one big, painful reminder that TIMTLTW.

Creator of Armory Mod, The Rising Underworld, and Voyage of a Drake: an RPG
The_Gnat

Re: Armory Mod - Sp/Mp mod for 1.13

Post by The_Gnat »

Hello Samonella, nice add-on it works really! I really like this addition it makes every game feel more like a RPG ;)

One question: have you made it so that units receive more damage as they advance for their extra attacks?
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

Glad you like it!
The_Gnat wrote:One question: have you made it so that units receive more damage as they advance for their extra attacks?
The only things that affect the strength of the attack is the unit's skill with that type of weapon and the strength of the weapon's original stats, so no: a Royal Guard and a Peasant will do the same amount of damage with an Orcish Archer's bow. However, the idea is that the Royal Guard should have an easier time capturing a stronger weapon, say an Orcish Slurbow's bow, so it still is likely that he'll end up with stronger extra weapons.
The last few months have been nothing but one big, painful reminder that TIMTLTW.

The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Okay, that is good. Perhaps also it would be worth increasing damage with level, is doesn't have to be major but maybe an increase of 1 damage point on advancement could be added to make it so in campaigns units that have stolen weapons grow in skill using those weapons. This just a suggestion. :D
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

Hm, so you mean the unit becomes slightly more skilled with any extra weapons it happens to be holding while it advances? That would make sense I suppose. I don't think the idea will fit too well with my code, but I'll give it a try sometime. :)

The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Samonella wrote:Hm, so you mean the unit becomes slightly more skilled with any extra weapons it happens to be holding while it advances? That would make sense I suppose. I don't think the idea will fit too well with my code, but I'll give it a try sometime. :)
What you could try, at the simplest level, is just an advancement event that increases the unit's attack's damage by 1. This would of course effect all their attacks, but if you have unique id's for your weapons you could limit it to them.
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

Long explanation on why it's not quite so simple:

The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Nice, that is incredibly complicated i am even more impressed by the add-on! :D

I read some of your code and yes i agree it would be pretty hard to do as i suggested, but that is fine because it is not really necessary.
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

Samonella wrote:So in conclusion: It's possible, but will be tricky, and there will doubtlessly be more complications I can't predict. But... yeah, I'll give it a try sometime.
The_Gnat wrote:it would be pretty hard to do as i suggested, but that is fine because it is not really necessary.
I gave it a try, but things got messy fast. Safe to say I won't be adding this any time soon.

The new version (1.1.0) does have other improvements though. Most noticeably, when weapons are laying on the map the icon shows which "weapon types" are on each hex.

The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

I gave it a try, but things got messy fast. Safe to say I won't be adding this any time soon.
That is fine, :D and thanks for trying.
Poison

Post by Poison »

How exactly is this mod supposed to work? Beacause i don't think it works for me (at 1.13.8 ). I suspect it's not the add-on but a game problem, since the unitmarker mod doesn't work either.
Last edited by Poison on September 25th, 2017, 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

Poison wrote:How exactly is this mod supposed to work? Beacause i don't think it works for me (at 1.13.8). I suspect it's not the add-on but a game problem, since the unitmarker mod doesn't work either.
Did you find the checkbox for the mods? For campaigns they're in a drop-down menu underneath the campaign list, and for multiplayer they're in the "general" tab, to the right of the eras.

Poison

Post by Poison »

Oh boy, ofc there's a drop-down menu :oops: So I can't use them in already started campaigns (maybe from command or sth)? (You could do that in 1.12.x). Thanks for the info, somehow I've managed to miss that. :whistle:
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

Poison wrote:So I can't use them in already started campaigns (maybe from command or sth)? (You could do that in 1.12.x).
No, I don't know of a way to load a game with new mods added in. Anyway, have fun, and thanks for trying it out!

Poison

Post by Poison »

Ok, I'll stick to using it to fresh ones. I'll leave feedback about it. Your work is impressive, I hope you'll continue improving your campaigns and mods.