Visual Map-Pack

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

inferno8
Art Contributor

Visual Map-Pack

Post by inferno8 »

Have you ever wanted play Isar's Cross... high above clouds? Now you have a chance!

Let me introduce my latest addon - the Visual Map-Pack:

The Visual Map-Pack (VMP) is a set of visually enhanced maps for Multiplayer use. These maps utilize multihex scenery technique used in To Lands Unknown, which allows display of vast hand-painted environments. These visuals are purely aesthetic and have no effect on gameplay but can drastically change/improve the look of the battlefield.

Currently this addon contains one map called 'Isar in the Skies' being an exact copy of the original 'Isar's Cross' but as the name suggests the field of battle is on a flying island high above the clouds! This is the initial release so do not expect the quality of Mona Lisa, but nevertheless it should give you a nice, unique experience right from the start ;)

Here are some screenshots:
Spoiler:
More visually enhanced maps will be available in the future, so stay tuned :)

Edit: Important notice: all players joining a game which uses this mappack need to have this addon installed in order to see the changes.
Last edited by inferno8 on February 12th, 2017, 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Creator of Era of Magic
Creator of To Lands Unknown

Support me on Ko-fi! https://ko-fi.com/inferno8
ForestDragon

Re: Visual Map-Pack

Post by ForestDragon »

sweet! if it would be possible to have this sky terrain placeable in the editor, then it would be amazing. if that's too hard (and it probably is) then you could make a collection of images which can be used for making backgrounds like yours (i mean images like the sky image with nothing on it, rocks of varying sizes, ect.)

EDIT: also,could you make a version of the map where the 'impassable' terrain is changed to 'unwalkable', meaning that flying unit will be able to fly there
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Well, that is quite something... :D
inferno8
Art Contributor

Post by inferno8 »

could you make a version of the map where the 'impassable' terrain is changed to 'unwalkable', meaning that flying unit will be able to fly there
Done. 1.1.4 is out:

Code: Select all

- new map - flyable variant of Isar in the Skies
- added a warning message for players who do not have this addon installed.
As for the last one, some players report that when they host a game and people join, these people cannot see the visuals - this is probably because of the game sending only a scenario, not the entire addon with its resources. It would be great to change this behavior, but I am not a BfW developer so it is beyond me. So I have added a warning message at the beginning of a match to all people without the addon installed. This should help.
Creator of Era of Magic

Angst

Post by Angst »

This is amazing. Mainline material for sure.
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

amazing! :) Are you going to make this for other mainline multiplayer maps?
Creator of Dawn of Thunder and Global Unitmarkers

"I thought Naga's used semi-automatic crossbows with incendiary thermite arrows . . . my beliefs that this race is awesome are now shattered." - Evil Earl
inferno8
Art Contributor

Post by inferno8 »

@Paulomat: Yes, at the moment I have plans for "Aethermaw", but if you have a request for a specific map from mainline, you'd like to see enhanced, just let me know ;)
Creator of Era of Magic

The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Now that is nothing short of brilliant. 8)

I am impressed with the sheer awesomeness you have achieved.
inferno8
Art Contributor

Post by inferno8 »

Visual Map-pack v0.2 is now available!

Code: Select all

Visual Map-Pack v0.2:
- added new map: Aethermaw
"The Aethermaw, a nexus of mystical energy" - I imagine this as a place flying through cosmos with multiple worlds and realities being attracted towards imprisoned Sulla. I tried to reflect that while preparing the visuals for this release.

Here are some screenshots:
Spoiler:
Last edited by inferno8 on February 18th, 2017, 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Creator of Era of Magic

ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

looks amazing! one idea though, maybe make the realities floating island-like? (i mean add that rockiness to bottom, like in Isar's cross, since water is already falling down, it would make sense to have the ground not paper-thin :) )
inferno8
Art Contributor

Post by inferno8 »

maybe make the realities floating island-like?
I understand your proposal, but at the same time I feel that these paper-thin "planes" look more accurate for a place like Aethermaw. They appear like pieces of different worlds litteraly cut from their "home-dimensions". The distorted edges ehnance that feeling, at least for me.

But if more people vote for floating islands, then there will be floating islands in Aethermaw ;)
Creator of Era of Magic

ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

inferno8 wrote:
maybe make the realities floating island-like?
I understand your proposal, but at the same time I feel that these paper-thin "planes" look more accurate for a place like Aethermaw. They appear like pieces of different worlds litteraly cut from their "home-dimensions". The distorted edges ehnance that feeling, at least for me.

But if more people vote for floating islands, then there will be floating islands in Aethermaw ;)
well, the forum is fairly slow when it comes to voting responding. maybe you could make multiple variations of Aethermaw? :)

if you wanted to make distorted edges, then they aren't really good enough for their purpose (i mean that they slightly fail to represent of what it's supposed to be)
inferno8
Art Contributor

Post by inferno8 »

well, the forum is fairly slow when it comes to voting responding
Then forget about voting - I have just made these rocky islands and you were right - they look amazing :lol:
(updated preview screenshots in my 0.2 announcement post)

0.2.1 is out!
Creator of Era of Magic

The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

:D I love the scenery you have drawn it adds a lot to the game.
Scaramush

Post by Scaramush »

woaa, thats just amazing