7p Battle World

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Yuas

7p Battle World

Post by Yuas »

This is an old map (dating from the version 0.7 or maybe even before). :)
I found this map really nice, that's why I've restored it last year, and try to balance it a little.
But if I want to make this map more playable I musst really work harder on the balance, however I don't know if this map worth it. :o
What do you think ?
Do you think that this map could be fun if it's improved ?
In all case I put it here for everyone who want's to try it. ;)
Attachments
Screen.jpg
7p-Battle_World.rar
(3.2 KiB) Downloaded 194 times
alexanderthegre

Re: 7p Battle World

Post by alexanderthegre »

Well, I haven't tried it yet, but the issue I immediately notice is that the terrain is clumped together, and primarily empty. This immediately puts terrain-dependent factions at a disadvantage, because the majority of the fighting will be happening on the flat areas. I would recommend spreading it out a little bit. In addition, it's a very large map, which is always fun, but puts dwarves at a disadvantage.
Other than that, though, it looks great. :D
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

It would never work for compedative play. (though I don't think dwarves would be at as much of a disadvantage as was said, I think you'd just see fleets of griffons sailing everywhere).

That said, fun is what you make of it.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
firefox

Post by firefox »

The basic idea of that map looks nice to me, it reminds me on "King of the Hill".
But as it is now it is totally not balanced for MP. It looks more like a campaign scenario.

It seems that the middle keep will be attacked from all sides wich gives it a disadvantage if it doesn't get more gold or villages than the others. Also the montone terrain offsets the balance.

I would suggest to add a feature that lets the players decide on wich keep they want to start, so that terrain-based factions can choose an environment where they can survive. The dwarves would be totally screwed when they start in the bottom left corner, even with gryphons.

Also adding some variety to the terain would help too. Maybe replacing some mountains with hills, adding some impassable mountains to create a mountainpeek, cutting some paths trough the forest, maybe one or two more river arms, etc. could improve the overall balance.
may the source be with you
=(^.^)= nyan~
Yuas

Post by Yuas »

I must thank each for yours comments. It's a good way to improve this map and i'll work on it. :eng:
But firstly, this map was just a remake of the Map "Battle World" so I tried to be faithful with the original map (despite the desert in the south-east :whistle: ).
I think, this will be a kind of V0 of a new big map Battle world (or may be not : not to big for the dwarves).
As you said firefox, it looks like a campaign scenario, and it could surely be. So if someone wants to take (even change) this map for his campaign, he can.