Troll don't die

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Yomar

Troll don't die

Post by Yomar »

No one thinks that the troll youth is too cheap, they are very hard to kill sometime, he is like a wose powerfull attack, regen and a lot of hp, good resistances and almost no weaknesses (beside a small 10% to arcane magic that many factions don't have and little compared to the 50% of weaknesses of the wose) plus he also gets 50% def. on hills and 60% on mountains (wose can get max 40% in forest), Orcs are already powerful without, Grunt rush is a strong tactic, so idk maybe increasing him to a cost of like 15 gp (or at least 14) would not hinder the faction I think.
Beholded Wesnoth's Origins.
Max G on WIF
Rank 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Madlok

Re: Troll don't die

Post by Madlok »

Trolls die on 30%, or they are just ignored by enemy, because they do only little damage.
Quick bats are quick.
Creativity

Post by Creativity »

They die easily to a focused assault, and they do almost no damage at daytime, and not much at nighttime.
taptap

Post by taptap »

Is the whelp like the wose? Let us compare whelp 7-2, wose 13-2. whelp hp: 42, wose hp: 52. In fact the wose L1 stats are pretty close to the L2 troll. The wose has more pronounced weaknesses, but better resistance against pierce and impact.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
Colouredbox

Post by Colouredbox »

taptap wrote:Is the whelp like the wose? Let us compare whelp 7-2, wose 13-2. whelp hp: 42, wose hp: 52. In fact the wose L1 stats are pretty close to the L2 troll. The wose has more pronounced weaknesses, but better resistance against pierce and impact.
Whelp: 13 gold
Wose: 20 gold
A bit of a difference?
Waiting for cheesedwarfs to be added to ageless.
Yomar

Post by Yomar »

I think that the difference of cost is too big, Trolls need also less experience to advance than Woses, at night they can be fearsome, and they can be hard to kill even at day especially if they are on a good terrain, its like an unit with lot of hp in a villagge with the difference that he can go everywhere.
Beholded Wesnoth's Origins.
Max G on WIF
Rank 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

You shouldn't compare just one unit to another unit. The rest of the faction matters as well.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
taptap

Post by taptap »

I am aware of the price difference. But it is justified, they are nowhere of similar strength.

If it were a blatantly underpriced unit it would be recruited more often and in higher numbers and lead to troll only wins, but afaik grunts, assassins and maybe even nagas do more work in MP northerner play. Trolls do play a role, but you get so much less damage output for your gold that spending a lot of gold for trolls isn't a winning proposition. In fact, the whelp has about the lowest melee damage output of any melee-only L1 (only ghoul and thief have less, but they have weapon-specials), when you buy it then because of its (slow-moving) resilience not because of its damage (there are archers and mixed damage scouts that do similar melee damage!). This is a completely different role than the wose (an expensive, highly specialized heavy infantry with some obvious weaknesses).
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
Colouredbox

Post by Colouredbox »

I think the matchup we need to be most concerned is orc vs undead where troll is a very important unit for orcs.
Waiting for cheesedwarfs to be added to ageless.
Madlok

Post by Madlok »

Colouredbox wrote:I think the matchup we need to be most concerned is orc vs undead where troll is a very important unit for orcs.
In this matchup I think Northernes are underpowered and trolls turn to trollish walking corps pretty easy.
Quick bats are quick.