Gragorak's maps

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Gragorak

Gragorak's maps

Post by Gragorak »

I've made two [mainline] maps. I'm not very experienced at creating maps (actually these two maps are my two first maps :lol2: ), so feedback is certainly welcomed.

2v2 map
Spoiler:
This is P1 & P2 vs. P3 & P4. I know that in this map it's not easy to go to help the teammate, but I'm unsure how big problem that is. I think this one has also some balance problems.

1v1 map
Spoiler:
According to my test games, this one seems to be a pretty good 1v1 map.

And I don't have any names for these, so name suggestions are welcomed.
2v2 map #1.zip
(651 Bytes) Downloaded 153 times
1v1 map #1.zip
Updated 3.2.12
(627 Bytes) Downloaded 155 times
Last edited by Gragorak on February 3rd, 2012, 2:30 pm, edited 7 times in total.
alexanderthegre

Re: Gragorak's maps

Post by alexanderthegre »

For obvious reasons, I haven't playtested them yet. :lol2:
One thing I noticed by looking at them, though, is that they are both very small. This gives a large bonus to the slow Knalgans, and a similarly large penalty to the quick Drakes and Undead. Try making them around 5 hexes bigger :hmm: ?

If you're having trouble posting them, try wrapping them up in a .tar, .gz, or .bz2 extension. Or all three. Generally that gets them past whatever filters are in place.
Gragorak

Post by Gragorak »

I think I'll extend the 2v2 map, but size of the 1v1 map is now imo good. Drakes & UD get penalty, and dwarfs get bonus. But I still think there's enough room for retreating. Maybe adding some impassable terrain beetween the keeps & rivers could make pursuiting more difficult. I've been testing that map mostly with drakes, and I haven't found it too difficult to play.
alexanderthegre wrote:If you're having trouble posting them, try wrapping them up in a .tar, .gz, or .bz2 extension.
How that's exactly being done?
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

Gragorak wrote:
alexanderthegre wrote:If you're having trouble posting them, try wrapping them up in a .tar, .gz, or .bz2 extension.
How that's exactly being done?
I can't say anything about .tars or anything, but I usually make a .zip and that works too (generally right-click+"Create Archive" on your computer).

About the maps themselves:

There's only mountains in the centre. This poses a severe problem for Dwarves - they have 30% resistance to everything but castles, villages, caves and rocky terrain (AFAIK), and 70% in mountains, so it's important they have lots of mountains to hide in. Dwarves are basically OP if someone's stupid enough to fight them in the middle - mountains vs shallow water, no contest - and UP if someone's skirting around the centre to get to them. Space the mountains out and the maps should be substantially more balanced IMO.

I'd say this is probably a negligible problem, and take this with a pinch of salt (I'm not a multiplayer developer), but some areas of sand or swamp might help too (not counting the areas at the edge, which may not ever see use in a game as well).
"What do you mean, "a dwarvish dragonguard with marksman is overpowered"?"

Story of a Drake Outcast | The Nonsense Era
Played HttT-Underground Channels? Thought it was rubbish? Help us develop it here!
Gragorak

Post by Gragorak »

Reepurr wrote:I can't say anything about .tars or anything, but I usually make a .zip and that works too (generally right-click+"Create Archive" on your computer).
Thanks, that works. Now they can be downloaded from the first post.

I made few little changes to the maps, I'll make more when I have more time than I have at the moment.
Last edited by Gragorak on February 2nd, 2012, 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dunno

Post by Dunno »

I'd say the 1v1 maps looks too op for drakes. Basically, you shouldn't make maps with shallow-water river across the map-footmen will need to get to the bridge and flying drakes&undead won't. That would make drakes can easily fly across the map while other factions need to get to the bridge. To make it worse, drakes will get first there. You need to make much more fords, like in hamlets.

Edit: I also noticed that if player 1 gets a leader with 5mp, they won't be able to reach any village on their first turn. This needs to be fixed

2v2: Again, drakes- they will just fly over the mountains and across the river to help their teammate while others will have to fight on their own.
Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?
Gragorak

Post by Gragorak »

Dunno wrote:I'd say the 1v1 maps looks too op for drakes. Basically, you shouldn't make maps with shallow-water river across the map-footmen will need to get to the bridge and flying drakes&undead won't. That would make drakes can easily fly across the map while other factions need to get to the bridge.
But in a small map like that drakes don't have much room to make maneuvers, so I think that balances the advantage drakes get from the rivers.
Dunno wrote:I also noticed that if player 1 gets a leader with 5mp, they won't be able to reach any village on their first turn. This needs to be fixed
That's fixed now.
Dunno wrote:2v2: Again, drakes- they will just fly over the mountains and across the river to help their teammate while others will have to fight on their own.
That seems to be a big problem. Maybe replacing the mountains with impassable and adding deep water & more impassable to the center would help.