(1.10) A New Land Classic 0.14.4

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Kernigh

(1.10) A New Land Classic 0.14.4

Post by Kernigh »

A New Land Classic is a set of multiplayer maps for Wesnoth 1.10. It has more maps and more factions than the mainline map, 4p - A New Land. Here, crops grow thrice in one day, mines offer gold, and universities teach victory. Players build more villages and castles.

To play, use either of two eras.
  • A New Land: Standard only has Loyalists, but anyone can join the game. Peasants can build. Mages can study at universities.
  • A New Land: Expanded features Loyalists, Outlaws, Orcs and Undead. Only players who install the era can join the game.
Current version: 0.14.4

A New Land Classic 0.14.4 is on the add-on server! To install: open Wesnoth, click "Add-ons", connect to default server (add-ons.wesnoth.org), search for "A New Land Classic", and download.
Mercurial repository:
Credits
  • Original author: Bob_The_Mighty
  • Current maintainer: Kernigh
  • Contributors: governor, Nyogtha, ReNoM, Rhuvaen, xudojnik
Some parts come from mainline Wesnoth.

Included maps
  • ANL 2p - Dome Isle - This island, roofed by a dead volcano, is a good site for a new colony. Two players race to settle and conquer the island.
  • ANL 4p - Aybabtu Valley - 2 versus 2: Elvish Druids hid treasure in Aybabtu Valley. Now two teams fight for control of the valley and its treasure.
  • ANL 4p - The Great Wall - 2 versus 2: The two peoples of the central isle have lived in peace, ever since the great wall separated them. Now a coalition of orcs and undead are planning to destroy the wall, in the hope that old conflicts will return, leaving the land ripe for invasion.
  • ANL 4p - The Last Stand - Survival: Four players must work together to rebuild their forces and make their last stand against humanity's enemies.
Original First Post:
Old Threads:
Last edited by Kernigh on June 18th, 2012, 10:48 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Xudo

Re: A New Land Classic - Wesnoth 1.9

Post by Xudo »

I played ANL:E on BFW 1.8.6. Looks like I will be first who give you feedback ;)

First of all, I want to say: You need special maps for your era.

Second. "Engine" bugs:
  • It appears in the following use-case:
    Player research warfare and choose unit (for example Spearman) to add to recruitment list.
    When he reserch warfare again, list of possible units contains unit, chosen in previous research. (player can choose "spearman" again) There are no error when you choose same unit again. (Player can loose it's reserach because of misclick)
  • Undead faction (not sure, but orc and outlaws too) can do nothing with forest. They can't even destroy it.
Third. Suggestions.
  • Workers should be on the top of recruit list. They are recruited far often than "scholars".
  • Add an option to disable scrolling and income animation.
  • You should rebalance outlaw worker cost. Only reason that their farms and mines produce 1 g fewer is not enough.
  • It looks a bit weird while UD build a village. Nvm about it.
Some thinking about maps:
  • You need invulnerable roads between the keeps.
  • You need 3-hex castle at start position. In other case, players will evolve too fast.
  • There should be no dirt on the map at all. Player should decide what and where he should build.
  • If you want game about streams of income and recruits, you need large maps.
    If you want game where each unit have tactic value, maps should be small.

There is type with "allow_player=no" in scenarios/TLS/define_sides_ai.cfg. It used twise in [side] tag.
Spoiler:
Kernigh

Post by Kernigh »

xudojnik wrote:Player research warfare and choose unit (for example Spearman) to add to recruitment list.
When he reserch warfare again, list of possible units contains unit, chosen in previous research. (player can choose "spearman" again) There are no error when you choose same unit again. (Player can loose it's reserach because of misclick)
Thank you for the report. Moments ago, I fixed this bug in revision b1f1ee144247. I now remove units from list if the player can already recruit them.
xudojnik wrote:Undead faction (not sure, but orc and outlaws too) can do nothing with forest. They can't even destroy it.
All four units (Peasant, Ruffian, Goblin Spearman, Walking Corpse) have the same ability to destroy forest. However, the terrain filters are not complete. This is a bug. I encountered a similar problem with A New Land: Expanded on 4p - Isar's Cross. My workers can build mines on some hills and mountains, but not other hills and mountains. To fix this bug, I would need to add the missing terrain codes to A New Land.
xudojnik wrote:Workers should be on the top of recruit list. They are recruited far often than "scholars".
I might not reorder these units, because the recruit list is in alphabetical order. If you play Orcs, the Goblin Spearman appears above the Orcish Shaman. If you learn more recruits, then your workers might be in the middle of the list.
xudojnik wrote:You should rebalance outlaw worker cost. Only reason that their farms and mines produce 1 g fewer is not enough.
I am not sure whether you want to raise or lower the cost of Ruffians. I know that Ruffians are effective against Skeleton Archers and Dark Adepts. I might not rebalance anything until after I make my first release to the 1.9 add-on server.
xudojnik wrote:If you want game where each unit have tactic value, maps should be small.
Small maps might benefit if each side starts with a free university, and perhaps a mine. Otherwise, a player who sinks gold into a university or mine might lose to a player who rushes with a large group of Peasants and Mages.
xudojnik wrote:There is type with "allow_player=no" in scenarios/TLS/define_sides_ai.cfg. It used twise in [side] tag.
This fix is in.
Xudo

Post by Xudo »

Small map can benefit, if players will start on separate islands in the sea.

Make short guide about this era (may be as "help" viewable from context menu):
  • Initial state of research
  • Possible recruits (from warfare and diplomacy)
  • Worker actions on different tiles
Xudo

Post by Xudo »

My point of view about maps for ANL.
I choose island-style because of level of control on the amount of grassland, available to player.
The following palette used in this map:
  • Deep Sea - unbuildable plaseholder of emply hexes.
  • Shallow Water. In the middle of the map, it used to make significant difference in defense to make sure noone will rush with a horde of peasants to kill enemy leader. Also it is used as additional grassland in the middle of the game.
  • Grassland - basic gold-making hex.
  • Forest - used to hold players from spreading their farms over all island.
  • Stone road - unbuildable (and unfarmable, unlike of dirt road) hex. It is grassland-controller.
  • Sand - grassland controller with bad defense for most units.
  • Unwalkable mountain - mine-controller. It is used to make sure, that defenders in the "mountain lake" will not be too OP against attacker.
  • Mountain - used as defensive position
  • Hills - in the middle of the game, it is gold-making hex, which is also used to heal wounded defenders.
  • Bridge - "hold this point" hex. Usually it is used by players to deal some damage to enemy.
  • Castle - you know it. basic recruitment hex
ANL_PvP_1v1.jpeg
ANL_PvP_1v1.rar
(380 Bytes) Downloaded 294 times
Kernigh

Post by Kernigh »

xudojnik wrote:ANL_PvP_1v1.rar
I will put xudojnik's map in my add-on, so that more players can try it. I will invent a name for the map, it will probably be ANL 2p - Isle of <Some-Name-Here>.

By the way, .rar files are difficult to open on non-Windows systems. I can only open them after I recently installed p7zip-rar. To any uploaders, I suggest .zip or .tar.gz files; I prefer these two formats. I can also open .tar.bz2, .tar.xz and .7z files (and now I can open .rar files).

I have converted A New Land Classic to Wesnoth 1.9, but I have not released anything to the add-on server. Before I make a release, I want to review my terrain filters, investigate the last few lint warnings, and make a few other minor tweaks. The next release will probably be A New Land Classic 0.14.0; when it is ready, I will edit the first post. It will be better than the last release (ReNoM's 0.13 for Wesnoth 1.8).

However, my add-on will not work with Wesnoth 1.8. There are at least a few 1.9-isms in my WML code, such as: side filters, [objective][note], commas in [allow_recruit]side=, and commas in [switch][case]value=.
Xudo

Post by Xudo »

I have played this era for some time and want to point you to the fact, what undead faction have lvl 0 recruit (Vampire bat) after researching warfare. I think it's weird, because noone will choose this recruit after his first experiment. There are a number of lvl 1 units to choose from.

And what about of "Isle of domned Volcano"?
Kernigh

Post by Kernigh »

xudojnik wrote:And what about of "Isle of domned Volcano"?
I did read that as "Isle of Domed Volcano". Your map looks like a volcano, but it never uses the new Volcano terrain. (This terrain is unwalkable and puts lava on a mountain.) I did not want to use the word "volcano", so I entered your map as ANL 2p - Dome Isle.

The next version, A New Land Classic 0.14.0, is almost ready! I expect to put 0.14.0 on the add-on server (for 1.9) within the next few days.
xudojnik wrote:... undead faction have lvl 0 recruit (Vampire bat) after researching warfare. I think it's weird, because noone will choose this recruit after his first experiment.
Thank you for the report. Moments ago, I changed Vampire Bat to Blood Bat, because Blood Bat is level 1.
Undead can no longer recruit Tentacles of the Deep.
Undead can no longer recruit Tentacles of the Deep.
The options for diplomacy and warfare now show the list of available units. Here, an Undead player sees that "Warfare" offers Ghost, Skeleton Archer, Skeleton, Ghoul or Blood Bat. This information helps each player to decide whether to try diplomacy or warfare.

Those little mushrooms by "Agriculture" are a Mushroom Farm, a new terrain in Wesnoth 1.9. For Goblin Spearmen and Walking Corpses, their farms now use Mushroom Farm, not Mushroom Grove. This is the difference: Mushroom Farm has little mushrooms and acts as flat terrain for movement and defense. Mushroom Grove had big mushrooms and acted different for movement and defense.
anl-undead-diplomacy.png
Some time ago, I made another change. Undead can no longer recruit Tentacle of the Deep. I heard, from someone on the 1.8 server, that tentacles get stuck on the castle. I would say to never pick Tentacle of the Deep, so I remove it as an option.
In 5p - The Wilderlands, humans hide in a cave.
In 5p - The Wilderlands, humans hide in a cave.
The next release, A New Land Classic 0.14.0, might have bugs in it. I am now play-testing to catch the most obvious bugs before I release the add-on. Here I am in 5p - The Wilderlands, cowardly hiding in a cave, trying to hold against a Yeti.
Kernigh

Re: (1.9) A New Land Classic 0.14.0

Post by Kernigh »

Version 0.14.0 is now on the add-on server. Peasants, ruffians, goblin spearmen and walking corpses: get to work!

Code: Select all

Version 0.14.0:
 * Kernigh became maintainer and converted this add-on from Wesnoth 1.8
   to 1.9. This add-on now requires Wesnoth 1.9.
 * The directory's name changes from A_New_Land to A_New_Land_Classic,
   to match the add-on's name.
 * Two new files, README.rst and NEWS.txt, describe this add-on.
 * Right-click help is no longer missing. During you turn, you can
   right-click your leader for help.
 * Changes to eras:
    * A new era, A New Land: Standard, contains only Loyalist units, but
      allows all players to join the game, including those players who
      lack the era. This era might have existed before, but it went lost
      and was not part of 0.13.
    * A New Land: Expanded removes all units from Extended Era, and
      replaces them with equivalent units from mainline campaigns. This
      change affects lines for Naga Guardian, Orcish Shaman and Rogue
      Mage.
    * Outlaw faction can no longer choose Outlaw Princess as leader.
    * There are no longer any unused units or second copies of units.
    * All unit ids now contain 'ANLC' and all image paths now contain
      '-anlc', to prevent conflicts with other multiplayer add-ons.
 * Changes to movement:
    * Units with 0 moves can now use "Get to Work!" and "Diplomacy".
      This feature comes from mainline "4p - A New Land".
    * "Choose New Recruit" and "Oversee Research" (for scholars on
      universities) are now free actions, not costing any moves.
 * Changes to new recruits:
    * Players can no longer waste diplomacy or research by choosing a
      unit that they already know how to recruit. Also, "Diplomacy" and
      "Oversee Research" now show the lists of available units.
    * Undead researching warfare can now get Blood Bat (level 1) instead
      of Vampire Bat (level 0).
    * Undead doing "Diplomacy" can no longer summon Tentacle of the Deep.
      This monster would get stuck on the castle.
 * Changes to terrain:
    * Orcs now build Orcish Castle and Orcish Keep.
    * Mushroom crops no longer use the Mushroom Grove terrain. They now
      use the new Mushroom Farm terrain from Wesnoth 1.9.
    * Workers of all factions can now chop down Mushroom Grove.
    * Workers can now use more flavors of terrain. They can now build on
      more flavors of grassland, hills and mountains. They can chop down
      more flavors of forest, including those forests that grow on hills
      or any other base terrain.
    * Workers can now build villages and universities on snow.
 * Several messages no longer have display problems, such as extraneous
   underscores or obsolete markup.
 * New maps:
    * Aybabtu Valley returns! This map, by Nyogtha, is new to A New Land
      Classic, but comes from A New Land: Maps, an old add-on for
      Wesnoth 1.2. Ogres are now absent, but Thieves return: a Thief can
      steal gold from other players.
    * Dome Island is a new 2-player map by xudojnik.
 * The Great Wall:
    * Team flags are now long flags and now have animation.
    * Chests are no longer broken, but now give gold.
 * The Last Stand:
    * Map settings now disable fog.
    * Units trapped in spider webs are now loyal.
    * Skirmishers who rescue the trapped units now lose their moves.
Kernigh

Re: (1.9) A New Land Classic 0.14.1

Post by Kernigh »

Version 0.14.1 is now on the add-on server.

Version 0.14.1:
 * Nagas no longer refer to themselves as merfolk.
 * The option to build an Orcish Keep now has an image for Orcish Keep,
   not Underground Keep.
Kernigh

Re: (1.10) A New Land Classic 0.14.2

Post by Kernigh »

Version 0.14.2 is now on the add-on server.

Version 0.14.2:
 * README.rst now mentions Wesnoth 1.10.
 * For each option in "Get to Work!", if the cost is too high, then the
   option now becomes red. All red options are too expensive.
 * When workers destroy villages in swamp or water, or destroy bridges
   over swamp or water, the base terrain no longer changes. For example,
   Muddy Quagmire no longer becomes regular Swamp.
 * Workers can no longer destroy bridges over deep water.
 * Changes to castles:
    * Walking Corpses now longer build Dwarven Castle. They now build
      Human Castle, same as Peasants build.
    * All workers can now build castles on snow. Peasants and Walking
      Corpses build Snowy Human Castle. Ruffians build Snowy Encampment.
      Goblin Spearmen build Snowy Orcish Castle.
    * Workers can no longer build keeps on sunken ruins or swamp ruins.
 * Aybabtu Valley:
    * Each keep is now adjacent to both castle hexes.
    * Fog is now off.
    * There are some tweaks to the story.
    * The scenario objectives now mention Thieves.
 * Dome Isle:
    * The scenario objectives now show the add-on version.
 * The Last Stand:
    * Level 2 guards now have the loyal trait. Enemy sides no longer pay
      upkeep for those units!
    * Guards with 0 moves now have 'still' as a visible trait.
EDIT (Sat Feb 4, 2012): Espreon gave me a link to mainline bug #14822 [Gna.org]. A New Land Classic 0.14.2 probably has this same bug. Suppose that your ally researches everything about warfare. In diplomacy, you might still have an option to share knowledge about warfare, though that option is now useless. For 0.14.3, I need to fix this bug by checking if players already know everything about warfare.
Kernigh

Re: (1.10) A New Land Classic 0.14.3

Post by Kernigh »

There was a major bug with Mushroom Farms in 0.14.2, so I had to rush 0.14.3.

Version 0.14.3:
 * Mushroom Farms now provide the correct amount of gold. Version 0.14.2
   introduced a bug that confused Mixed Flowers (^Efm) with Mushroom
   Farms (^Emf). Re^Efm is an empty farm, but Re^Emf is a crop. Because
   of this bug, Goblin Spearmen and Walking Corpses behaved as if Re^Emf
   was both an empty farm and a crop; so they earned gold every turn.
   They now earn gold every 2 turns, as they did with version 0.14.1.
When you research everything about warfare, 0.14.3 still has a minor bug. Your allies can still share knowledge about warfare with you. Also, you can continue to research warfare, if you never change the target. Also, if you research everything about warfare but never pick your last recruit, then you can still change the target to warfare. I hope to fix this minor bug with 0.14.4.

The Last Stand became more difficult with 0.14.2 and 0.14.3. Each enemy leader has 4 more gold per turn, because the guards are now loyal. This extra gold accumulates, so you must fight more enemies. I might adjust the difficulty of The Last Stand with 0.14.4.

I have plans to add two more maps to ANL Classic, but players might not see these maps until 0.14.5. If anyone else wants to make maps for this add-on, I might include those maps.
tadpol

Post by tadpol »

I was watching some people playing with anl extended on a map one of them made, and it came to my attention that the undead have no good options for fighting in large bodies of water. Ghosts are slow and expecive, blood bats are still not exactly powerful and also expecive, skeletons and quick adepts are hopeless. If maps with lots of water are to be supported I'd give them some other water monster or change tentacles to not get stuck.
Kernigh

Post by Kernigh »

tadpol wrote:... the undead have no good options for fighting in large bodies of water.
Loyalists send Mermen. Outlaws and Orcs send Nagas. Undead have no water units to send. Suppose that an opponent constructs a moat of shallow water, and fills said moat with, for example, Naga Guardians. An Undead side might have no good way to attack said moat.

Outlaws might be the most powerful faction. I have played and observed multiple slow games. During a slow game, both teams increase income, until the map is too small for more units. Then battles take hours, and everyone quits before the game ends. Can Outlaws recruit 5 or 10 Dwarvish Ulfserkers per turn, and force a gain of several hexes in one turn? Can the Dwarvish Ulfserker be the unit that wins the game?
Xudo

Post by Xudo »

Problem: In PvP games, battlefield flooded with units and structures.

Solution: Cost of (anything what player can build) should increase with amount of this structures. Any income should be static.

Example: Currently, to build village, player needs to spend 15g.
I propose something like:
1st village = 15g
2nd village = 20g
3rd village = 25g
Oops, horde of zombies destroyed village №2.
4th (actually 3rd) village = 25g

Human faction needs option "destroy village" as everyone else.