Temuchin Khan's maps

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Temuchin Khan

Re: Temuchin Khan's maps - What do you know? 4 more Agaia m

Post by Temuchin Khan »

I added some additional comments and information to the posts of my last four maps. I'm probably also going to post three variants on Agaia Crisis sometime this month. I've always wanted to give a little more detail about what was going on and the depth of that crisis.

EDIT: I changed my mind and only made three Agaia Crisis variants. The fourth one just seemed superfluous.
Temuchin Khan

Temuchin Khan's maps - Agaia Crisis Variants

Post by Temuchin Khan »

I have finally completed the Agaia Crisis variants I promised, although in the end I made only 3 rather than 4. Still, I think each one helps to flesh out the time of crisis better.

Agaia Crisis East
Agaia Crisis East.png
Agaia Crisis East.png (304.08 KiB) Viewed 10149 times
Agaia Crisis East.zip
(1.97 KiB) Downloaded 578 times
1. Same as Player 1 on the original Agaia map. During the time of crisis, he briefly gains his independence.
2. Same as on the original Agaia map.
3. More or less the same as on the original Agaia map, except this is not the heart of the kingdom but a fief controlled by a military religious order. Think Knights Templar, but fighting Romans instead of Muslims.
4. Same as Player 5 on Agaia South Morph.
5. This one is new, but his culture is basically the same as that of Player 7 on Agaia South. He should probably also be the Barbarians. During this time, he’s (briefly) at the height of his power, having conquered his neighbor to the West.
6. Same as Player 8 on original Agaia map.

Agaia Crisis West
Agaia Crisis West.png
Agaia Crisis West.zip
(2.79 KiB) Downloaded 592 times
1. Same as Player 4 on Agaia North. He should be allied with Players 5, 7, and 9.
2. Same as Player 8 on Agaia South Elves.
3. Same as on original Agaia map. He should be allied with Players 2, 4, 6, and 8. Yes, in this time of crisis Players 3 and 6 manage to see past their differences.
4. Same as on original Agaia map. He should be allied with Players 2, 3, 6, and 8
5. Also the same as Player 4 on Agaia North—even though they had control of one of the major powers at this time, they still maintained their original headquarters as an outpost, and even conquered the Elven homeland from it. He should be allied with Players 1, 7, and 9.
6. Same as on original Agaia map. He should be allied with Players 2, 3, 4, and 8. Yes, in this time of crisis Players 3 and 6 manage to see past their differences.
7. Same as on original Agaia map. He should be allied with Players 1, 5, and 9.
8. Same as Player 7 on Agaia North. He should be allied with Players 3, 4, and 6
9. Same as on original Agaia map. He should be allied with Players 1, 5, and 7.
Temuchin Khan

Re: Temuchin Khan's maps - What do you know? 4 more Agaia m

Post by Temuchin Khan »

And finally, the most thorough look yet at the southeastern tribal regions:

Agaia Crisis Deep South
Agaia Crisis Deep South.png
Agaia Crisis Deep South.zip
(1.03 KiB) Downloaded 590 times
1. This tribe has a culture similar to that of ancient Spain before the Romans conquered it. Nothing in Wesnoth is quite like it, so use the Marauders or the Arendians. He could be on his own or he could be allied with Players 8 and 9.
2. Same as Player 2 on Agaia South. He should be allied to Players 4 and 6.
3. Same as Player 3 on Agaia South. He should be allied to Players 5 and 7.
4. Same as Player 8 on Agaia South Morph. He should be allied with Players 2 and 6.
5. Same as Player 7 on Agaia South. He should be allied with Players 3 and 7
6. This is the original southern elf colony. During the time of crisis, they successfully defended their territory, unlike their northern kinfolk. No doubt that is why so many Elves migrated southward after the crisis. He should be allied with Players 2 and 4.
7. Same as Player 7 on Agaia South Morph. He should be allied with Players 3 and 5.
8. Same as on the original Agaia map. He could be on his own, or he could be allied with Players 1 and 9.
9. This tribe has a culture similar to that of the ancient Hittites. Nothing in Wesnoth is quite like it, so maybe something with an Egyptian flavor would be a good approximation. He could be on his own or he could be allied with Players 1 and 8.
The_Gnat

Re: Temuchin Khan's maps - 3 Agaia Crisis variants

Post by The_Gnat »

Nice! I would suggest that you make the different sides on the same team using a simple scenario. I can do it for you, if you would like, for this map (it is quite easy). That way when people play it the teams are automatically set.

And i if this map becomes a all-vs.-all map i see player 6 winning (because of that castle at the top left) ;)
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

The_Gnat wrote:Nice! I would suggest that you make the different sides on the same team using a simple scenario. I can do it for you, if you would like, for this map (it is quite easy). That way when people play it the teams are automatically set.
That would be great!
And i if this map becomes a all-vs.-all map i see player 6 winning (because of that castle at the top left) ;)
Well, that is what happened in the history of our world. Player 6 on this map was allied with Player 4 from the original map, after all!
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Yeah no problem so who exactly would you like allied? Currently i have players 1,8 & 9 allied. Players 2,4 & 6 allied. And players 3,5 & 7 allied. Is this good? (also i can easily add gold settings and income and ect.)

Here is the scenario currently:
ACDS.cfg
(8.78 KiB) Downloaded 632 times
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

The_Gnat wrote:Yeah no problem so who exactly would you like allied? Currently i have players 1,8 & 9 allied. Players 2,4 & 6 allied. And players 3,5 & 7 allied. Is this good? (also i can easily add gold settings and income and ect.)

Here is the scenario currently:
ACDS.cfg
Looks good! Thank you!
Temuchin Khan

Re: Temuchin Khan's maps - Agaia Polar Orcs

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Well, I had ideas for two more Agaia maps. I know! Enough already! But I think there's a place for these. One fleshes out the furthest north a little more, and the other explores the seas to the east. The former I will post here today, the latter I will save until the map editor is working for the Mac version of 1.13 branch.

Agaia Polar Orcs
Agaia Polar Orcs.png
Agaia Polar Orcs.zip
(2.51 KiB) Downloaded 579 times
With the old, familiar Orc nation in civil war, the nations of Agaia are safe from Orcish incursions, right? Not at all! Turns out, there are multiple Orc nations in the Polar regions!

1. Same as on Agaia Latter Days.
2. Same as on original Agaia map.
3. Same as on original Agaia map.
4. Same as Player 1 on Agaia North Orc Civil War.
5. Same as on Agaia Latter Days.
6. Orcs
7. Orcs
8. Orcs
9. Orcs
Temuchin Khan

Re: Temuchin Khan's maps - New and Updated

Post by Temuchin Khan »

I have updated eleven of my maps to take advantage of some of the new terrains available in 1.13 branch. These changes are purely aesthetic and do not effect gameplay, I just like the desert mountains and ruined desert villages.
updated for 1.13.zip
(33.9 KiB) Downloaded 518 times
I have also made a new map. This one begins to explore the seas to the east of the main continent. The screenshot is small, but the areas at the western edge are the eastern coast of the main continent. Everything else is new. I also added stretches of shallow water connecting the islands and the continent. I did this because years ago, when my siblings and I created this world, I wanted to explore the seas to the east, but never got the chance.
Screen Shot 2018-02-18 at 4.02.01 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-02-18 at 4.02.01 PM.png (61.17 KiB) Viewed 9451 times
Agaia High Seas.zip
(3.16 KiB) Downloaded 513 times
Here are the sides:
1. Same as Player 1 from Agaia Latter Days
2. New
3. New
4 Same as Player 8 from Agaia South Morph
5. New
6. New
7. New
8. New
9. New
Temuchin Khan

Re: Temuchin Khan's maps - New and Updated

Post by Temuchin Khan »

For those who are interested, I have been working on some interesting variations on the main Agaia map. I call it Agaia Redux. These changes significantly alter gameplay and add up to a whole new version. Stay tuned!
Temuchin Khan

Re: Temuchin Khan's maps - Agaia Redux

Post by Temuchin Khan »

As promised last summer, here is an alternate version of the original Agaia map. The main differences are that I have decreased the number of villages and greatly increased the number of castles. A few minor geographical adjustments have also been made here and there. Translating this world from hard copy to an electronic format inevitably involved some compromises, and I wanted to see how things would turn out if I made some different choices here and there.

Along with it is a slightly updated version of my original post introducing the world of Agaia. In particular, I have updated some of the faction recommendations:

Player 1’s lands were once ruled by Player 2 and are currently ruled by Player 6. He is trying to gain his independence. He is seeking recognition from one of the major powers, and Player 5 seems to be sympathetic. Player 1 should have the culture of Early Medieval Russia. Nothing in Wesnoth quite approximates it, but the Marauders from the Imperial Era would probably do.

Player 2 is one of the major powers but was once the lone superpower. In those days, he ruled a vast empire encompassing most of the northern half of the map. He fell on hard times, suffered numerous invasions of Orcs and Undead, and lost three-fourths of his empire. But he survived and emerged intact. Now he is trying to regain his former might. The Lavinian Legion and the Dardo are the Wesnoth factions most like Player 2's nation. Part of why I was always enthusiastic about the Imperial Era is because my siblings and I already had a fantasy world with a Roman-type nation!

Player 3 is also one of the major powers. He rules lands that once belonged to Player 2. He is very concerned about Player 2’s ambitions and is trying to organize a coalition against him. He has traditionally been allied to Players 4 and 6, but politics may drive them apart. Player 3 could be Loyalists, since his nation was the most typically Medieval, or Knalgans, since he always had a strong alliance with the Dwarves, or even Celestials, since he had military-religious orders. The Ukians might also work. But to really be authentic, please make sure the king is a ranger or an archer.

Player 4 is one of the major powers. He is in a difficult situation. During the time of troubles, he allied with Players 3 and 6 for mutual defense against the hordes of Orcs and Undead. Together, they survived. However, before the troubles began, Player 4 was allied with Player 2. Whether he will side with Player 2 or Player 3 in the current conflict remains to be seen, especially since Player 6 may take the side of Player 2. The emperor does not want to break with either Player 3 or Player 6 especially since his one brother is king of Player 3, and his other brother serves Player 6. Player 4 also aims to recover some lost territory of his own, particularly in the West and Southwest, where the Hordes of Undead are such a serious threat that he has built a Great Wall in an effort to hold them off. Player 4 could be Loyalists, or he could be Kharos, since his nation had an Asian milieu, or even Rebels, since he always had Elvish allies.

Player 5 is the youngest of the major powers. His nation arose from the desert sands unexpectedly after he helped Player 6 defeat some Orcs and a Necromancer that were terrorizing the region. Like Players 1 and 3, he rules lands that were once under Player 2, and could probably be counted on to resist him. He is, however, pragmatic, and will side with his interests, wherever those may lie. Player 5 should be a desert-dwelling faction. The Dunefolk seem to work well, but most of them would do.

Player 6 is the last of the major powers. He also rules lands that once belonged to Player 2. However, his people are descended from colonists sent out by Player 2 in the days of his glory. During the time of troubles, this southern colony survived by electing it own emperor and allying with Players 3 and 4. Now that Player 2 is returning to power, Player 6 may split the old alliance and side with the motherland. However, politics in Player 6’s realm is volatile, and much depends on which faction gains the emperor’s ear, or emerges dominant from the latest civil war, as the case may be. Player 1’s rebellion only adds to the chaos. The best possible faction for Player 6 is the Refugees from the Mercenaries Era, now included in Ageless Era. If you don’t have Ageless Era, then Player 6 could be either Arendians or Kharos or the Ceresian League. But he has to have horse archers. He was always proud of his horse archers.

Player 7 is the Orcish Horde. He has been pushed back to the swamps and frozen tundra of the northwest by Players 3, 4, and 6, but still has strength, and is preparing his own attack.

Player 8 represents the inhabitants of the southern islands and the steppes. As a whole, they are not aligned with any of the major powers. Again, however, politics in this region is volatile, and much depends on which tribe or coalition is currently dominant. Some tribes sympathize with Player 3, some with Player 4, some with the Orcs and the Undead, and some just want to remain independent. Player 8 could be Aragwaithi or Darklanders or Marauders. Barbarians might also work.

Player 9 is the Hordes of Undead, along with their corrupt human allies. They dominate the southwest, and are a particular threat to Player 4, who has gone so far as to build a Great Wall in an effort to keep them out. But walls can be breached.

I could have included dozens of other tribes and minor powers, but we have to keep things within Wesnoth's limits!

Here it is:
Agaia Redux.zip
(5.65 KiB) Downloaded 315 times
And now some screenshots:
Attachments
Agaia_Redux_SE.png
Agaia_Redux_SW.png
Agaia_Redux_NW.png
Agaia_Redux_NE.png
AOW

Re: Temuchin Khan's maps - Agaia Redux is here!

Post by AOW »

Thank you for your hard work over the years!

Can it run on 1.14?
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

AOW wrote: August 18th, 2020, 9:56 am Thank you for your hard work over the years!
Thanks for the appreciation!
Can it run on 1.14?
Yes, for sure. Enjoy!
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

O.K. One more Agaia map, and then I think I'll call it quits. This is a further development along the lines of Agaia Redux. I've called it Agaia Ultima, for lack of a better term, but all three versions are good.

This version, however, is not backward compatible and can only be used with 1.15.
Agaia_Ultima.zip
(4.7 KiB) Downloaded 227 times
Screen Shot 2021-01-18 at 2.21.35 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-01-18 at 2.21.43 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-01-18 at 2.22.01 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-01-18 at 2.24.52 PM.png
Temuchin Khan

Re: Temuchin Khan's maps - Agaia Redux & Agaia Ultima

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Well, actually, just one more. I had to do this one, strange though it is, for sentimental reasons. But now I'm really finished.
Agaia_Midlands.zip
(3.15 KiB) Downloaded 223 times
Screen Shot 2021-02-01 at 10.11.37 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-01 at 10.11.46 AM.png
EDIT:

I should add a few pointers on this map:

1) Players 1, 5, 6, & 8 are the same as on the original Agaia.

2) Player 2 is the same as Player 5 on Agaia South Morph.

3)Player 3 is the same as Player 4 on Agaia North.

4) Player 4 is the same as Player 5 on Agaia North.

5) Player 7 represents various primitive tribes that periodically come into conflict with Players 3 & 4. For possible faction choices, I would suggest Arendians, Outlaws, Marauders, Darklanders, Mountaintribe, or Forestfolk.