NoLuckEra

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Seldam

Re: NoLuckEra

Post by Seldam »

Thank you very much for this era!
It is a new experience playing without luck and I like it very much.

I don't understand why you don't remove the 100% in the overview and take the damage reduction instead directly. It is maybe a bit confusing cause you have the wrong imagination, you think of an awesome time to attack. :)

However, thank you and continue working on this.
I don't understand why standard Wesnoth does not include such an era.
SuicideCommando

Post by SuicideCommando »

Anybody can tell is that era in development still or its finished project? Another question is how ladder players relate about this project? :hmm:
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

hello, im happy if the no-luck-era helps you to enjoy BfW and any feedback is welcome.
Please provide and explain the exact formula used. I looked into NLera.cfg but my feeble mind cant fathom what's written there... I think it'll help interested players and testers, too.
the original cth (chance to hit) is simply implemented as a multiplier to the damage (other factors may as well have influence here - daylight, leadership, damagebonus ...).
while the cth is set to 100%.

so you hit always but with a reduced damage. if your chance to hit is 40%, then the multiplier is 0.45 (0.05 got added to deal with rounding issues).

theres really not much more to say about it ;)
of course you have to deal with certain weapon specials like magic, marksman and such.

weapons with poison and slow dont get 100% cth, and their damage is left unchanged.
I don't understand why you don't remove the 100% in the overview and take the damage reduction instead directly. It is maybe a bit confusing cause you have the wrong imagination, you think of an awesome time to attack. :)
i think its automatically displayed.

i can only remove the "xy % damage" information.
right now i left it there because it might be an interesting information.
However, thank you and continue working on this.
if you have any suggestions what else can be done feel free to say.
Anybody can tell is that era in development still or its finished project?
atm, the version is considered to be finished.

what could be done:
--------------------------
i can imagine to replace the flat 0.05 increasement to the damage-multiplier to be damage-dependent.

so they may be higher if damages are very low, or lower if damages are very high.

anyways, since rounding will have effect in the one or other way, results may always vary from the mathematical average.

example - 5-4 attack, 50% cth, no other modifiers:

matheatical average:
5x0.5x4= 10

practical results:
either:
2x4= 8
3x4= 12

right now the rounding is adjusted (on wesnoth a fraction of 0.6 gets rounded up)
to throw out a 3x4 in this case, so the damage is slightly higher than the mathematical average.
(if the damage would be lower than math-average than battles would be to clumsy)

if there are more suggestions what could be done - let me know it.
i will see what i can do.

anyways, this is only a wml-mod, so all changes to the game-engine are out of my reach.
(and also not intended, since people will always prefer to play the "original"-game with an easy-to-use mod than a changed game-engine which is probabl incompatible with ormal wesnoth.)
The best bet is your own, good Taste.
Andrej

Post by Andrej »

Hello.
As a chessplayer I also enjoy No Luck Era much as it actually proves that Wesnoth is a really strategic game. However I have several questions and suggestions.
1. Slow and Poison special attacks are determined by luck as normally. Wouldn't it be better if the damage of the attacks was no luck but only special effect itself coincidental (slow and poison)?
2.Since every attack hits, it is a bit boring when the number of attacks is very high (especially with swarm or rage). Perhaps I would either modify these specials to resolve faster or even make every attack (after calculation) consist of three parts only: first strike (attacker), retaliation (defender) and optional finish-off strike (attacker). I admit this would be difficult to program.
3. I see that No Luck Era is intended to multiplayer. Is it possible to build a campaign around it?
4. Would you mind if I tried to create some?
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

hello andrej.

1) Yes. would be better.
as you said it, this could be a possible enhancement of NLE.

could be done via: original SLOW and POISON are exchanged by "NoLuckVariants", which simply dont do anything for themselves, but on an attack/defend-event it could be checked wether the weapons involved in the combat have these new (fake)-abilities, and if yes, a random-dice depending on the defense of the unit which is affected by the effect could apply (or not apply) a status change to that unit.

2) No, since the many strikes are part of wesnoth, it would not be good to change it, since the unit's combat behavior would be very different. a unit with 1 HP could only deal just 1 strike (as an attacker) before it is killed, in you example a major part of that damage would be dealed already in the first strike.

the strikes make a huge difference.

3) sure

4) No. i dont mind.
feel free to work with it.
The best bet is your own, good Taste.
SKAcz

Post by SKAcz »

I play only no luck era now with friends, its cool.
Question: It dont works for future version 1.11?
(Just asking, cos we wanted try new ai as opponents. But if not i will simply use forever 1.10 :))