The Altaz Mariners (2p pirate RPG) now with French translation!

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Gregorius

Re: The Altaz Mariners - MP Campaign, out now!

Post by Gregorius »

Well... Pirates who don't swear are no real Pirates^^
-I first got the galleon from that guy at the docks after killing the serpent and when I went to the Hideout with it there was no way for me to leave it, I literately walked all across the ship looking for an exit but I was caged :hmm:
-I beat that saurian scenario but when I enquired about recent news where i first heard of it the scenario reset and I had to start over again...
-The thief left the hideout before I got to talk and I lost to him because it was impossible to hit him :x
-I got that map leading to another place at the brotherhood but that island didn't show up on the worldmap (I removed shroud to check)
Exept for those bugs I really enjoyed playing it and look forward to the next update :D
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

Gregorius wrote:-I got that map leading to another place at the brotherhood but that island didn't show up on the worldmap
Same here. (assuming you mean the map from Hellenia?)

Conchria or Conchris or something like that...
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

I am not far in the campaign and o have yet to see some amount of swearing. I do hope they're not using modern swearing, though? In any event, I think the pirates are pretty well-spoken, except for a few occasions when they will suddenly pull some word outta their sleave. In any event (although you possibly already know about this), I'd suggest looking at this page for pirate banter reference :)
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Gregorius

Post by Gregorius »

Captain_Wrathbow wrote:
Gregorius wrote:-I got that map leading to another place at the brotherhood but that island didn't show up on the worldmap
Same here. (assuming you mean the map from Hellenia?)

Conchria or Conchris or something like that...
it seems that map can be found either in the brotherhood or in hellenia, it's appearance is randomly, but there is no island showing up
podbelski

Post by podbelski »

... I've finished first scenario, and can say I love it!!!

One strange thing so far - once I reach the World Map the portraits of the brothers change from unique to standard rogue-type. I guess it's not good... they are much more cool as in the first mission
jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by jb »

Thanks for all the feedback. Very helpful.
One strange thing so far - once I reach the World Map the portraits of the brothers change from unique to standard rogue-type. I guess it's not good... they are much more cool as in the first mission
It sounds like you did an Illegal reload in the first map? See the above tips for how to safely reload an MP campaign.
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
The Altaz Mariners - with Bob the Mighty
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Blarumyrran & Gregorius, thanks for the bug reports. As you can appreciate, this kind of campaign makes it very hard to catch all the hitches ourselves. You never know what order people will do things in, so it's really useful to have these things pointed out.

I dare say we will revise the turn limits. Oh, and you'll have to wait for a later update to reach Colchis. It was in there at one point, but got pulled for the release. Sorry if that sent you on a fruitless search.
Captain_Wrathbow wrote: Why so much swearing? I understand that it is pirate-themed and these are sailors and all, but... it's just too much. The constant swearing makes me almost not want to play. It really adds very little to the campaign, (That is, the campaign wouldn't be any worse off without the swearing) and could potentially hurt its popularity, by alienating players who would otherwise like it, but dislike the swearing.
Hey Captain, sorry that the language upset you. I'm surprised about this as I honestly don't recall there being that much swearing in the campaign. At least nothing especially rude. I'm interested to know where you're from because maybe you have a different take on words that, being a Brit, I consider to be mild or inoffensive.
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves
boru

Post by boru »

Have you considered the possibility of an SP fork of this campaign? In the long run it might be easier than dealing with the erroneous bug reports from SP players who make one wrong click.
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.
Gregorius

Post by Gregorius »

There was no reason to go to the hideout for just two non-loyal men and a barrel of rum so I saved it up a bit ;)
I think You'd like to know that the thing with the thief happened when I was coming toward the cave or whatever it is from south and he just came out before I got to trigger the event
f

Post by f »

Hi Bob_the_Mighty and jb,
I think there is a sign error in the Chillblood ability from a statue (it gave us -30% cold resistance).
Greetings from the stormy south,
f
Faello

Post by Faello »

It's a great add on, but I need to complain about it a bit :)

It's not a campaign suited for a non-save/loading players at this moment.

Difficulty level is high (what I like) and there's a lot of things to do, but it seems that every mission requires some amount of money spend on cannon fodder or recalls and money are scarce in this one. I hate to lose loyal units and since difficulty level of the missions on different islands isn't shown anywhere, player can often land in the situation for which he isn't prepared well enough and it's really hard to tell how much forces he should take with him in addition to what he'll receive on the island.

I'd like also to get some hints if I should sell the goods obtained early in the game in the easier challenges or is it possible, that their worth will raise with time (just like in High Seas). I tried to hold myself with selling goods, but couple of island challenges showed me, that I need at least some of cannon fodder units to prevent RNG from destroying my plans totally.

It would be nice if such a hint about a missions difficulty could be put somewhere in this campaign.
The yellow jester does not play
but gently pulls the strings
and smiles as the puppets dance
in the court of the Crimson King.
DEATH_is_undead

Post by DEATH_is_undead »

Faello wrote:
I'd like also to get some hints if I should sell the goods obtained early in the game in the easier challenges or is it possible, that their worth will raise with time (just like in High Seas). I tried to hold myself with selling goods, but couple of island challenges showed me, that I need at least some of cannon fodder units to prevent RNG from destroying my plans totally.
Different islands have different sell prices. So go to your log and check the sales price, and go to that island.
It's not a campaign suited for a non-save/loading playersIt's not a campaign suited for a non-save/loading players at this moment.
I shall answer that with another quote:
Bob The Mighty wrote:Just for the record, I have flagged up this bug here. There's already a warning in one of the intro screens to our campaign, but I guess I will make it more explicit.
In other words, its a bug with Wesnoth, not his campaign, so as of now, we are out of luck. Or, assuming your meaning overall, not just with this bug?
3P MP Scenario - Great Dwarves Escape
The best way to learn is to follow. In order to learn WML, you have to follow other's work, and check their codes.
jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by jb »

It's a great add on, but I need to complain about it a bit :)
Lol, Faello, i watched you play with reckless abandon. I think some of your complaints about difficulty are a result of you not being familiar with the campaign flow, and with a strictly MP mindset about battle. You didn't use any of your gold advantage in any of the maps I observed you play.

Still, I thank you for your feedback (very useful) and I hope you still enjoy the add on.
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
The Altaz Mariners - with Bob the Mighty
Faello

Post by Faello »

Well, I don't think it was reckless attitude, please remember that I've played this one for the first time and didn't know what's the average difficulty level of the challenges that lie in front of me. I think we were doing fine until we've landed in Elixion or Farrow.

I've assumed also that since gold is scarce, I shouldn't use it on lvl 1 recruits early in the game (it was a correct assumption, I've just needed to find a way to earn gold for ex. by trading)

We're on the second approach to this scenario now, have a galleon and chest full of gold already :mrgreen: , but start was rocky - perhaps it's about a typical mp-player mindset, but still it would be nice to know which place shouldn't be approached without some preparations <Farrow or Elixir look dangerous for an early attemp to pass them, yet once you land on these islands, mission automatically begins...>
DEATH_is_undead wrote:Or, assuming your meaning overall, not just with this bug?
I meant in overal, but I need to correct myself. You can play w/o typical save/loads, it just requires 100% awareness - still, it's possible :) (for ex. it's easy to fail the scenario in monster's belly if you will enter the range of cuttle fish attack on your last movement point, instead of scouting it earlier and pass it BUT it's a tactical/movement mistake to move like that so it's hard to treat it as a scenario flaw) . All in all, it's a great campaign but it's better to play it when you're in good mind/body condition, I guess I was just too tired when I played it for the first time, thus amount of mistakes was higher => I was forced to restart scenarios => I was annoyed by it.
Last edited by Faello on July 10th, 2011, 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
The yellow jester does not play
but gently pulls the strings
and smiles as the puppets dance
in the court of the Crimson King.
DEATH_is_undead

Post by DEATH_is_undead »

I have run into a issue in which I cannot seem to get through.

Trying to get the storm wall down, I seem unable to. In temple_of_ice(ect,ect).cfg, I looked in the file to see why I could not get the wall down. It seems that it is somewhere in-between receiving the rumor with Coldfist that Shadow Fang knows about the wall, and asking him to lower it.

I checked the variables using debug, and the var temple_of_ice_favour is 5, so that isn't the problem. I talked to Coldfist, and had him point to Shadow Fang for removing the wall. log_storm.orb_info variable I do not know, nor could I see what it did. (My assumption is that it was that I didn't have the orb?)

I have not reloaded from the main menu at all, I read the messages before me and avoided it completely. When I did reload, I reloaded from going to Multiplayer/Local Game. Any ideas?
3P MP Scenario - Great Dwarves Escape
The best way to learn is to follow. In order to learn WML, you have to follow other's work, and check their codes.