T1thousands first map

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

T1thousand

T1thousands first map

Post by T1thousand »

This is my fist map. How I usually set this 1 up is having all the villages producing max gold and I start all leaders with 250 starting gold. Seems to be enough money to get started but not so much that you can just keep producing tons of troops. Well I hope you all like it.
Map0001.jpg
Attachments
Map-0001.zip
8 player map
(5.22 KiB) Downloaded 198 times
Lollipopz

Re: T1thousands first map

Post by Lollipopz »

I think it would be helpful to inform version, instead of hiding it in picture...
"Neighbour knocked my door at midnight. Instead of sugar he wanted brains. I gave bullets."

Resistance is futile. Ponies will take over the internet.
T1thousand

Post by T1thousand »

Yeah, sorry about that. I had thought of going in and letting people know which version the map was for but when I saw it on the screen shot I figured that it would be noticed. I apologize again and just so everyone knows this map was made for version 1.8.3. Also, people may want to check out the placing for the keeps. They are in a pretty random order and I usually set it up so that myself and whomever I am playing with do not start on opposite sides of the map.

T1thousand
T1thousand

Post by T1thousand »

Hey, what's up everyone? So I've had this map up for a couple of weeks now and noticed that a few people have downloaded it and I was just wondering, of those who have had a chance to play it a bit, what you all thought of it? I would like to know if you felt the map was balanced, by way of access to villages, keep size for that size of map, whether or not the keeps were spaced well, if anyone use the extra hiring stations in the cave and water areas and to what effect, and if the small fort-like areas outside of the cities were helpful at all, and also I'd really like to know if you all had fun playing on it and enjoyed the way it looked.
I would really appreciate some helpful criticism so I could adjust things as needed. And if the map is liked, I will probably go back to working on the 6 player map that I started after this one.

Thanks in advance,
T1thousand
Crushmaster

Post by Crushmaster »

Hi,

Just wanted to offer some thoughts. :) As a multiplayer map, this won't work (at least, not in the normal sense of the word; if it was an actual scenario, it could be possibly be done in some way). There are massive clumps of terrain, the map is huge, the player's placements would undoubtedly allow for different advantages/disadvantages; etc.

Take a look at how default MP maps are done, and try to model them after that style (if you're going for a typical MP map). Typically, they are "mirrored", that is, the map is the same on each side, or something along those lines (top left, castle; bottom right, castle; in identical placements, mirrored; same with terrain, villages, etc. Also, the villages must be arranged in such a way that player 1 does not gain an advantage).

Some pointers (not saying you broke all of these, just offering advice): Avoid large terrain clumps, especially of mountains, as dwarves are very tough units, and the 70% defense really helps them out. Also, it is not wise to place a village next to a mountain (unless it is impassable; I suppose). Too much "grassland" benefits loyalists (if I recall correctly); too much of other stuff will benefit other races (dwarves, mountains; elves, forests [them less so, as they aren't as strong as dwarves]; orcs move better than loyalists in "rough" terrain; drakes/saurians have reasonable defense on sand, most others do not; etc.).

Well, hope this helps. :)
God bless,
Crushmaster.
Godspeed, random person!
NeedGod - User:Crushmaster
T1thousand

Post by T1thousand »

Right on. Thanks for the tips. I'll have to keep some of that in mind if I go back to working on my maps. As far as the map not being mirrored, I guess that's what I was going for. I have seen some of the other mp maps and didn't like the way that they looked. They are usually simple shapes with no good terrain transitions and everything is = on all sides. I guess this makes sense when competing, like in a tournament, or if you don't mind everyone using pretty much the same strategy. I think that a map set up with different advantages and disadvantages is good for building different strategies and learning to fight where you are most advantageous and making your enemy come out and fight you where he may be at a disadvantage. I guess both styles have their own +'s and -'s but since I usually just play with 1 or 2 friends against the computer I'll probably stick to the varied map style.
I really do appreciate the feed back, and I will try to make things a little more balanced in my future attempts to make maps. Although I do still plan on making them look a bit more interesting than most mp maps are made.

T1thousand
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

T1thousand wrote:They are usually simple shapes with no good terrain transitions and everything is = on all sides. I guess this makes sense when competing, like in a tournament, or if you don't mind everyone using pretty much the same strategy.
Oh good God. :augh:
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
Colouredbox

Post by Colouredbox »

Doc Paterson wrote:
T1thousand wrote:They are usually simple shapes with no good terrain transitions and everything is = on all sides. I guess this makes sense when competing, like in a tournament, or if you don't mind everyone using pretty much the same strategy.
Lol'd :lol2:

I also agree with Crushmaster.
That kind of map will never be 'mainline' but it might be fun to play with a bunch of friends in a friendly game in a friendly environment.
Waiting for cheesedwarfs to be added to ageless.
cookie

Post by cookie »

Doc Paterson wrote:
LOL
Docc youre so mean! you should support them!

Youre doing GREAT! >.>
Just make the map smaller. Work on balancing. Lower the normal gold and you'd be a rockstar

P.s, DOC YOU said you WOULD contact me :L
Still waiting >.>
Bye says the cookie.
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

[off topic]
cookie wrote:
P.s, DOC YOU said you WOULD contact me :L
Still waiting >.>
Ay, I'm waiting for you to send me that re-write. :whistle: [/off topic]
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
T1thousand

Post by T1thousand »

Thanks to everyone for their feed back and support. And no one should fault Doc for his exasperation over my statement. As it was made in ignorance, I can't blame him for being upset. After reading his reply I decided to do some researching into some of the newer MP maps that have been released. After having done that, I realized how wrong I was. And I apologize to anyone that I may have offended with my ignorance and I promise that my future posts will be more well informed.
Sure when I had first started looking around at the MP maps I did not find them interesting and that is why I made my map. Only problem is that I made this map over a year or ago and had been working on it of and on for a while before I completed it. And in that time there have been a lot of very interesting maps made, by people that have taken their time and done really good work. So had I have looked around a bit first, I would not have made a fool of myself. There are some cool maps out there and I look forward to playing on some of them in the future.

Thanks again to everyone,
T1thousand
cookie

Post by cookie »

Doc Paterson wrote:[off topic]

Ay, I'm waiting for you to send me that re-write. :whistle: [/off topic]
really? =.=""""
I thought you got that edited during that game. :L
I'll go through the replay and send another later on this evening
Bye says the cookie.