SXRPG Replays

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Mabuse

Re: SXRPG Replays

Post by Mabuse »

BuBu wrote: In my opinion Warrior is the poorest class of the game.
btw, i have to disagree here.
imo warrior is among the strongest classes of the game, if not the strongest.

with the "stunning shield use"-ability they can combine berserk and slow which is extremely powerful.
with some solid resistances warriors can basically berserk everything.
(in the attached game the only hting my dwarf really needed some help were the skeletal dragons)

i attached a replay (2 heroes) on cantar, expert difficulty.
(ok, cantar isnt very difficult, but its fun :D)
just to show the power of berserk/slow

since it was an online game, i chose "revive mode", and my mate (using a "ranger" thunderer) wasnt on expert level skillwise (but he knew how to play, so it was ok). his hero could have been stronger.
after a while he left (turn30) and i took over his hero, i think he was frustrated because his hero seemed weak - i immediatly bought him precision+slow for his energy wave.
the ranger was definately a well needed aid - in the end of the game it died once´, but his revival had no impact on the since the warrior dwarf was able to kill the remaining boss before the thunderr could reach it.

i used a "warrior dwarf"

the poorest class in game in imho the "ranger".
i think i might buffing it slightly by giving it +2 ranged damage at start instead of just +1.
no biggie, but better than nothing
SXRPG_CastleOfCantar_Expert_Play.gz
(305.14 KiB) Downloaded 252 times
The best bet is your own, good Taste.
MCP

Post by MCP »

Evil Dead, Warrior Dwarf, Experienced, 76 turns, solo, etc.

Wanted to try out your shield tactic, berserk slow. I like it. Pwnd the last boss with only 60% arcane, some ridiculous dodge percentage, and a slow/berserk blade. Pretty slick deal considering how cheap the build is to make.
:eng:
Attachments
SXRPG_EvilDead_Turn_76_Warrior_Dwarf.gz
(424.4 KiB) Downloaded 253 times
SXRPG_EvilDead_Dwarf_Warrior_76_Turns_Experienced.gz
(316.76 KiB) Downloaded 239 times
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

MCP wrote: Pretty slick deal considering how cheap the build is to make.
:eng:
yup. its great.
there may be some need for further balance though.

but more of this in development thread.
BuBu

Post by BuBu »

Mabuse wrote: the poorest class in game in imho the "ranger".
i think i might buffing it slightly by giving it +2 ranged damage at start instead of just +1.
Sorry, usually i dont play with Ranger and i forgot this class, but you are right that was worst class, but now it is very better after you did that improvements (low price in precision). When i said "poor" i did use the wrong word, because warrior is the strongest class, but not fun to play like a cleric or a mage or a rogue.

Rogue class is very good now. Warrior and ranger has 5 back packs yet?

Mabuse,

Many people like play your maps with AGELESS ERA, could you remove some special like INTANGIBLE, RECHARGES and etc. Sometimes annoy you see those people play with overpowered units. I like to play on-line and most part of the game they open is with agelles era. :(

I like play defaults units. Is it possible add more units to SXRPG RPG era lv 1?

Ah ! Other thing... i discovered that you fire candles dont kill the unit at 1hp so it got negative hp, is it right?
Take a look in the things that i did: 6p - Secret Valley , MAP for SX
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

BuBu wrote:
Mabuse wrote: the poorest class in game in imho the "ranger".
Sorry, usually i dont play with Ranger and i forgot this class, but you are right that was worst class, but now it is very better after you did that improvements (low price in precision). When i said "poor" i did use the wrong word, because warrior is the strongest class, but not fun to play like a cleric or a mage or a rogue.

Rogue class is very good now. Warrior and ranger has 5 back packs yet?

Mabuse,

Many people like play your maps with AGELESS ERA, could you remove some special like INTANGIBLE, RECHARGES and etc. Sometimes annoy you see those people play with overpowered units. I like to play on-line and most part of the game they open is with agelles era. :(

I like play defaults units. Is it possible add more units to SXRPG RPG era lv 1?

Ah ! Other thing... i discovered that you fire candles dont kill the unit at 1hp so it got negative hp, is it right?
hey BUBU thx. for report.

i will immediatly take a look at these specials and add them to the ban list if nessessary.
pls help me with this and list all specials that could be nessessary to be banned.

adding more units to SXRPG era .. well i can only think of ghost to be worth to be added.
(though it canot distribute much armor since its defaults are very high already)

feel free to make suggestions which units should be added, and i'll think about it.

the fire candle thing seems to be a bug -
(i dont know how bad it actually is, tbh, i can live with it if a player dont die if he steps with low hp onto a fire.)

no, warriors dont have 5 packs anymore. only rangers have 5 packs

some other slight changes were done, update is finsihed in a few minutes (including your suggestions)
BuBu

Post by BuBu »

Mabuse wrote:i will immediatly take a look at these specials and add them to the ban list if nessessary.
pls help me with this and list all specials that could be necessary to be banned.
Oh this is hard, because AGELLES ERA is very huge and it will need a time to play with all units and discover to do a search in help menu. I had to re-install my wesnoth and i lost all my historic.

One time i saw that default units had page in the net showing all units, but i dont have the address any more. AGELLES dont have a main page with all units like default? That will make our work easier ....

Mabuse wrote:adding more units to SXRPG era .. well i can only think of ghost to be worth to be added.
(though it cannot distribute much armor since its defaults are very high already)
My suggestion to add is this units:

DRAKE BURNER (PLEASE PUT THIS... MY SPECIAL UNIT TO PLAY WINZARD OF WAR)
BECAUSE: good hp AND armor = 80% AGAINST FIRE (will spend a little with negative armors, but worth) and strong fire attack (NO SPECIAL, SO I CAN PUT PRECISION FOCUS) = NICE TO BUILD A UNIT.

WOLF RIDER
BECAUSE: good move and lv 2 has fire attack and slow (i wont make owner shop richer buying weapons :lol2: ) and lv 3 has poison (not much useful but avoid units dont have regenerates in a turn).

ORCHIS ARCHER
BECAUSE: it has 2 weapons ranged (fire and pierce) and has a good hp.

MERMAN HUNTER
BECAUSE: it has a lv that has slow in ranged and can be a good fight unit or be a good ranged unit with pierce attack (no special in his weapon so i can put precision focus). I can use agility and buy some terrain and this unit will be very good.

GHOST
??????: i dont know if is good put ghost because it has: GOOD MOVEMENT + STRONGEST ARMOR + GOOD STARTING WEAPONS = TOO OVERPOWERED. Did you play Colosseum? ... all players only select ghost to play. This will be THE noobs units.

*** IF YOU PUT IT, SO DONT ALLOW TO BE A WARRIOR OR ROGUE (TO AVOID BE 100% ZERKER OF EVERYTHING)
**OR CUT THEY ARMOR BY HALF
*OR DO WHAT YOU SUGGEST
Take a look in the things that i did: 6p - Secret Valley , MAP for SX
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

BuBu wrote:
Mabuse wrote:i will immediatly take a look at these specials and add them to the ban list if nessessary.
pls help me with this and list all specials that could be nessessary to be banned.
Oh this is hard, because AGELLES ERA is very huge and it will need a time to play with all units and discover to do a search in help menu. I had to re-install my wesnoth and i lost all my historic.
Inside a game, press : and then type in debug, and after that again press : and type discover. This reveals all units in the help section.
BuBu wrote:One time i saw that default units had page in the net showing all units, but i dont have the address any more. AGELLES dont have a main page with all units like default? That will make our work easier ....
You probably refer to http://units.wesnoth.org, which doesn't cover the AE units, though (btw, it's "Ageless", not "Agelles"). I just created a unit tree for someone who searched it, but I won't keep it updated. mnewton asked me how I did it, so it may be that there will be an "official" AE tree soon. Until then, you can have a look here: http://crend.cr.funpic.de/bfw_ae/C/Ageless%20Era.html (Warning: huge page).

Crend
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

BuBu wrote: My suggestion to add is this units:

DRAKE BURNER (PLEASE PUT THIS... MY SPECIAL UNIT TO PLAY WINZARD OF WAR)
BECAUSE: good hp AND armor = 80% AGAINST FIRE (will spend a little with negative armors, but worth) and strong fire attack (NO SPECIAL, SO I CAN PUT PRECISION FOCUS) = NICE TO BUILD A UNIT.

WOLF RIDER
BECAUSE: good move and lv 2 has fire attack and slow (i wont make owner shop richer buying weapons :lol2: ) and lv 3 has poison (not much useful but avoid units dont have regenerates in a turn).

ORCHIS ARCHER
BECAUSE: it has 2 weapons ranged (fire and pierce) and has a good hp.

MERMAN HUNTER
BECAUSE: it has a lv that has slow in ranged and can be a good fight unit or be a good ranged unit with pierce attack (no special in his weapon so i can put precision focus). I can use agility and buy some terrain and this unit will be very good.

GHOST
??????: i dont know if is good put ghost because it has: GOOD MOVEMENT + STRONGEST ARMOR + GOOD STARTING WEAPONS = TOO OVERPOWERED. Did you play Colosseum? ... all players only select ghost to play. This will be THE noobs units.

*** IF YOU PUT IT, SO DONT ALLOW TO BE A WARRIOR OR ROGUE (TO AVOID BE 100% ZERKER OF EVERYTHING)
**OR CUT THEY ARMOR BY HALF
*OR DO WHAT YOU SUGGEST
ok, thx for yur sugegstions.

about the ghost: i can absolutely put the ghost in wihtout any limitations.
the special aror system of SX will only allow a ceratin number of armor slots depending on the unit DEFAULT armor. i could show the complete formula (which isnt very complicated - and was posted over and over again), but the result is that GHOST has only 1 ARMOR SLOT to distribute. If player chose a class with hvy armor it can distribute 3 Armor Slots.

So while Ghost has good Movement, and the highest DEFAULT armor - it cannot change the armor much, since it is already almost at maximum. Ghost can save a lots of Bucks though and be a good initial Berserker - but it wont be able to react upon what is really needed on the map.

However, ghosts base HP are very low, other units have a lot more base HP. here he needs to spend more money. the base weapons arent very good either.

so all in all, ghost may be ok, but wont be one of the top-notch unts, since it isnt very versatile.
i will put it in.

i have read your suggestions and GHOST, DRAKE BURNER and MERMAN HUNTER will be added to the era.
Zombie_Fairy

Post by Zombie_Fairy »

Hello there. May i practice some thread necromancy here?
Anyways, here is my attempt to do a speedrun of Castle of Cantar on Expert difficulty, Death mode without reloading (except reloading to first turn, to save initial setup time) and taking any crazy chances. It's far away from perfect, especially because it was made on version 3.9.9e (i had no access to the Internet on my computer for some time) and there were some changes in the latest versions that allow to speed up the process even more (e.g. buying cyan potions right at the start). But i still upload this cause nobody tried to do this before (or just didn't show it here).
Timeline:
turn 1 — started with the Ghost as a strong Rogue (both the unit and the class rule early in the game), bought enchanted sword, iceblade, zerk sword, net and energy wave as weapons;
turn 2 — accelerated myself using hidden woses, levelled up into Shadow for skirmish;
turn 3 — orc leader killed (net + zerk sword);
turn 7 — sword of the crusader grabbed;
turn 15 — lich leader killed (ench sword + net + red potion + blue potion + 2 arcane waves), also had 20% arcane res and dauntless atm);
turn 25 — necromancer leader killed (net + arcane wave + blue potion + 2 arcane waves + blue potion + zerk sword, arcane wave is so awesome that even useful versus resisting bosses), then a level up saves me from close death while retreating;
turn 27 — a nice killing spree;
turn 30 — i'm one turn late to arrive at the last shop before being burned by a fire dragon; so i step out of his reach; fortunately the dragon went the eastern path and didn't block the way to the shop;
turn 31 — rage/slow for the iceblade bought (the only weapon special i bought "hard way" in this game);
turn 32 — all three red dragons killed thanks to an iceblade and cyan potions;
turn 38 — i'm ready to reach the final boss using cyan potion but an inferno drake blocks my way standing right at the place where i can't reach him without using a potion and another drakes are 5 hexes away after killing him;
turn 39 — drake boss killed (iceblade twice + red potion + blue potion + iceblade, 65% blade res and only 4 dmg/strikes upgrades with 2 damage upgrades were enough).
Autosaves got deleted cause i didn't know i need them while doing this :? So, i guess, the run is not considered as legal and i should redo it, on the newest version of the addon, of course. Rogue warrior vs. rogue mage would be a tough decision though.
SXRPG_CastleOfCantar_lunatic_turn_39_replay.gz
(187.47 KiB) Downloaded 210 times
Also, i attach a replay of Evil Dead, Experienced difficulty, Death mode, Rogue Nightgaunt and the same old version again. It's all shiny for the ghost until the last boss, which is unberserkable without insane resists to pierce and impact...going ranged against him as a ghost is even worse idea than meleeing. So i needed to spend a whole lot of turns grinding and preparing for the boss. What was kinda surprising is the fact attacking an enemy on 60% (like this witchmaster) is better with magical-charge-slow combo (0,7 * 2 = 1,4 dmg and cth * 2 * 0,5 = cth (being 0,6 or 0,7 for this boss) retal) than with rage-slow one (0,4 * 3 = 1,2 dmg and cth * 3 * 0,5 = 1,5 * cth retal). So the boss was killed by five attacks with magical-charge-slow torch (fire sword from the latest updates is a really nice addition for this situation, and for annoying flies, of course), at turn 121, when ordinary monsters became so strong that i wasn't almost getting any income from them (a lot of money were spent on potions).
SXRPG_EvilDead_hard_ghost_replay.gz
(358.29 KiB) Downloaded 242 times
And a last turn save, that, fortunately, hasn't got deleted yet.
SXRPG_EvilDead-autosave121.gz
(531.2 KiB) Downloaded 226 times
And one note on nightstalk ability: it was discarded, and the reason for this was AI completely ignoring it. Actually, this wasn't the case: enemy monsters didn't move at all if they didn't see the ghost (ghost should not attack at night for this). But this ability was making ghost even stronger, so, i guess, getting rid of this ability is fine.
Btw, i'm not playing only as ghost, usually i choose random but not getting much of result with most of the units on Evil Dead map. Though, i completed this map with a cav rider warrior on Experienced/Death mode, and it was a lot easier than with the ghost (90% pierce + 100% impact res ftw, zerked the final boss). I'll definitely try playing with it on Expert.

P.S. Mabuse, thanks for all the work you did at making SXRPG! I and some of my friends are having a lot of fun playing it!
inb4 sorry for my crappy english, this forum post the biggest one i wrote in it. Ever.
Last edited by Zombie_Fairy on March 28th, 2012, 7:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
BERSERK EVERYTHING!
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

appreciated effort !
so i guess you earned you entry in hall of fame.

never seen that CoC was beaten in less then 40 turns.
anyway i love the idea of speedrun, tbh i also try that casually, but usually i die in some situations.

thx for the feedback - atm im busy creating the new map.
prepare for some nice, oversized bosses.
MCP

Post by MCP »

Sorry about the out of date info on the AI. I guess Ambush for Woses is useful.

40 turns. I wonder if I can do better, hmm...

I was always playing to not die and win quickly, but I can definitely play more risky.
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

No Problem MCP, it doesnt take much to put the hide-abilities back in.

however, i did all the suggetsed things to improve (warning in ghoul, adept upgrade critical weapons, general warning, +1 killmoves if 18 moves are reached ...)

but no more updates before version 4.0.0 is out.
and that means the 4th map will be finsihed now asap.
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

btw, heres my actual replay of
EVIL DEAD, EXPERT, finished on turn 89, 1 Player

Dwarven Thunderer, Mage
Weapons bought: Torch, Energy Wave
Abilities bought: regen, soulstealer, agility, dauntless, magic movement (spell), healing spell (Free Ability (no ability Points required))

no luck OFF
(normal mode all the way, you can see it in the save when i miss carzy lot of focus strikes against a goblin spearman for example)

died 2-3 times though

the only item i bought in shop was the backpack which i never used since that moment though
default dragonstick and energy wave got equipped with focus, blessing, slow

i used the most actual version, the only difference to the actual version (in this case) is that is started on solo with 1800 gold. Also you will notice that the Woses actually move (slight bug in previous versions - this would have costed my a few times my life)

well, what can i say, its definately playable but less than 1800 gold dont make much sense
also because the thunderstick is the best default weapon ingame, and still i has a hard time. :D. anyway its got better after i pillaged the orc cave.

point for me is that i was a mage, and only equipped my weapons with focus (which was a mistake, at least for the thunderstick), in case of the energywave i didnt want to waste the money, since i would have neeed to buy precision focus. (if i would have been a ranger i would have upgraded the focus)

So thats my entry in the Hall of Fame. A Shame that i m not in it yet :whistle:

Still i recommend the SAVE, since it shows my way of SOLOING, i take more care of the CHESTS at start and go very late for the first boss (shortly before the turn limit is over for that boss)
the second dies somewhat faster ;)
SXRPG_EvilDead_T89_EXPERT.gz
(328.94 KiB) Downloaded 231 times
Last Turn:
SXRPG_EvilDead_89_CTK_EXPERT.gz
(498.23 KiB) Downloaded 218 times
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

rangers too weak?

with the new version that hopefully changed.
having +2 moves after kill (for a total of 6), +1 for ranger class, +1 for lightfoot ability
makes the rangers very mobile in combat. combined with their great firepower -

i beat evil dead with thunderer in 82 turns, expert diffculty.

however, i suffered from not enough sleep so the play is imo not very solid -
was kinda luck in the end, usually it would have taken some more turns. (same as mage probably)
SXRPG_EvilDead_T82_EXPERT.gz
(311.99 KiB) Downloaded 228 times

Dwarven Thunderer, Mage
Weapons bought: Torch, Energy Wave
Abilities bought: regen, soulstealer, agility, lightfoot

energy and dragonstick got upgraded over time with the full arsenal:
focus, precision, blessing, slow

i bought a cuirass as item - and some occasional cyan potions.
since rangers get them for cheap 10 gold. and need them sometimes.
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

Btw, JB and PASO beat WoWII before my eyes.
It really hurt me to see these two just rocked through the level.
with SX ERA units ;)

very smart play, and they made their way to the Hall of Fame.

watching the game was inspiring, and i can promise to do my best to keep the challnege up with the next map.

and ah, well, i reduced the strengh of the summoned demons a bit
now that i saw them in very smart action i think they are a bit too strong
no worries, they will be still extremely useful