Conquest Minus

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

tauno

Re: Conquest Minus

Post by tauno »

My stderr - file.
( Game freezes when the objectives screen opens, SlowThinker offered to have a look at it. )

Spoiler:
SlowThinker

Post by SlowThinker »

tauno wrote:Game freezes when the objectives screen opens
It looks your problem is caused by this Wesnoth bug: Known issues.

In order to avoid this problem I will reduce the text in the Objective window.
Last edited by SlowThinker on January 26th, 2011, 12:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I work on Conquest Minus • I use DFoolWide, Retro Terrain Package and the add-on 'High Contrast Water'
I moved to Nosebane's corner (Doc Paterson's signature); I am spending my time there, so PM me if I don't answer your post in forums
tauno

Post by tauno »

That bug seems to explain the symptoms.
I'll try hitting enter next time it occurs.

I'm not sure it's caused by a low screen resolution though.
I've checked mine and it's 1366 x 768.
( Not that I'm all that clear on what that means, but it seems quite high :p )
SlowThinker

Conquest Minus 3.0.4

Post by SlowThinker »

Conquest Minus 3.0.4

for players:
Changes that affect the game mechanics:
  • bug removed: the capitol mode was buggy on maps where dwarves weren't recruited
  • bug removed: Elvish Enchantress had a 40% forest defense only, and preserved a ranged attack
  • Slight changes of these maps:
    • Europe: city names have been repaired, Helsinki and Palermo can recruit on turn 1
    • Surdmark with teleports: the map has been changed slightly around the western teleports
Changes that don't affect the game mechanics:
  • Improved teleports: labels have been added, a right-click command "Scroll to target" has been added
for map creators:
the code for teleports needn't be in the .cfg file (...like it was in previous Conquest- versions; see any map with teleports in Conquest- 3.0),
now definitions of teleports by [teleport]...[/teleport] are sufficient
Last edited by SlowThinker on April 14th, 2011, 9:26 am, edited 5 times in total.
I work on Conquest Minus • I use DFoolWide, Retro Terrain Package and the add-on 'High Contrast Water'
I moved to Nosebane's corner (Doc Paterson's signature); I am spending my time there, so PM me if I don't answer your post in forums
SlowThinker

a map repaired

Post by SlowThinker »

A bug (a missing bonus) has been repaired in the map of The Rings
SlowThinker

Conquest Minus 3.0.5

Post by SlowThinker »

Conquest Minus 3.0.5

Changes that affect the game mechanics:
none
Changes that don't affect the game mechanics:
Teleports: the right-click command "Scroll to target" has been removed, because WML doesn't allow that the scrolling works only for the player who's turn is under way.
Last edited by SlowThinker on April 14th, 2011, 9:27 am, edited 3 times in total.
SlowThinker

Known issues

Post by SlowThinker »

Known issues

autolabels don't work after a save/reload process - this bug affects Wesnoth 1.12 only
how to solve it: right-click and use "Hide system labels" + "Restore system labels"
Details: https://gna.org/bugs/index.php?23579
(this is a Wesnoth bug)

any attack can be ordered from an adjacent hex only - this bug affects Wesnoth 1.12 only
Details: https://gna.org/bugs/?22988
(this is a Wesnoth bug)

units of Neutrals can heal over their maximal hitpoints
An example: a dwarven militia with 39 HP and 45 maximal HP will heal +10 hitpoints this way: 39+10 = 49 HP , athough it should end at 45 HP. (next turn it will stay at 49 HP)
(this is a Wesnoth bug)

mismatch in vision of sides
If a player leaves a game, other players can get the vision of his side. (The hosting player can repair this problem by applying the ':control' command on affected players)
(this is a Wesnoth bug)

replays in a debug mode show warnings
If you run Wesnoth in the debug mode and replay a game that has ben reloaded (i.e. it was saved, reloaded, continued and saved again) then you get warnings 'checksum mismatch' in the chat area after attacks.
obsolete bugs
sight of killed units is not removed (it was fixed in 3.2.0)
It affects Conquest Minus 3.1.6 - 3.1.11.

Non-random starting spawns (it was fixed in 3.1.3)
It is possible you get equal starting unit spawns in two subsequent games. This happens because Wesnoth doesn't initialize the Random Number Generator properly and 'random_seed' is not random but set to 1 or another low number (if you are not sure whether this bug happened then you can save the game, search for "random_seed=" and check the value)
(It was an effect of this Wesnoth bug: RNG is not seeded randomly)

The hosting player cannot start a game in the capitol mode (it was fixed in 3.0.18)
and gets this error message: "Failed to show a dialog, which doesn't fit on the screen."
It was an effect of this Wesnoth 1.10 bug: https://gna.org/bugs/index.php?19544

The objective window blurs / Game freezes when the objectives screen opens (with Wesnoth 1.8.x only)
The game is not frozen, only the mouse doesn't respond; the objective window may be closed by hitting the key <enter>.
The problem is caused by this Wesnoth bug: Objective window blurs. It happens if Wesnoth is run with a lower screen resolution or in a smaller window, and the Objectives window gets a (buggy) scroll bar.

The issue with a fog (it was fixed in 3.0.18)
The fog is not revealed for allied sides if a recruited unit doesn't move.

Replays of reloaded games don't work (it was fixed in 3.0.15)
For details read this thread: Errors in replays of reloaded games

The "Europe bug" (it was fixed in 3.0.8)
It happens in 5-6 player games in the capitol mode on the Europe map (or similarly small maps): the player 1 gets no starting unit.

The "Far East bug" (it was fixed in 3.0.8)
In the capitol mode on the Far East map a player may get only 2 starting villages in place of 3.

Wrong colors of sides (this bug probably affected early versions only)
This bug might happen if you change the default color side settings.
Recently I wasn't able to reproduce it, please report this bug if it happens again (and provide a saved game if possible).
Last edited by SlowThinker on May 8th, 2015, 3:08 pm, edited 25 times in total.
SlowThinker

Teleports

Post by SlowThinker »

Teleports
How teleports in Conquest Minus work
(for Conquest- 3.2.0 and above)

Teleport hexes
There are pairs of teleports on the map, so a unit can teleport forth and then return back.
A player can distinguish teleport pairs by runes: Teleport hexes are marked by runes, and both paired teleport hexes use an equal rune.
During his turn a player can right-click on any teleport hex and scroll to the destination hex.

How to triger a teleportation
The teleports take effect if and only if a unit enters a teleport hex.
A player may decide whether his units that enters a (source) teleport hex
- will stop on the (source) teleport hex (new!)
- will be teleported (to the destination hex)
This is controlled by the Teleport Mode, which also controls whether a map will scroll towards the destination hex. Players can right-click on any teleport in order to change the Teleport Mode.

Also any unit (0 movepoints is sufficient) that stands on a teleport can be teleported directly by right-clicking on the teleport (new!)

Destination and alternative hexes
There are hexes that are forbidden for teleported units. If the destination teleport hex (the one with a rune) is forbidden then the unit will be teleported to an alternative hex:

The engine chooses the alternative hex accordingly to these rules:
  1. preferred hexes are the adjacent hexes (radius=1), only then adjacent hexes of adjacent hexes (radius=2), only then radius=3 and so on
  2. within a given radius, the hex with lowest coordinates is preferred (what is "lowest coordinates"? Transform coordinates into one decimal number, e.g. x=8 y=26 is 8.026 and then you can compare the decimal numbers.)
Hexes that are forbidden:
next limitations apply to both the destination hex and alternative hexes
  • occupied hexes
  • villages and hexes adjacent to villages (new!)
next limitations apply to the alternative hexes
  • hexes that the unit cannot reach from the destination hex in any number of turns and even if the map would be empty (in other words both
    • hexes with a terrain that the unit cannot enter to
    • hexes in areas not connected to the destination hex - for example a boat cannot leave an isolated lake (new!) )
More details (sight, ZOC, movepoints):
If the destination hex is forbidden then
  1. the unit still enters the hex destination provisionaly, where it gets sight (new!) and possibly ZOC takes effect, and then
  2. the unit jumps to the alternative hex, where it gets sight and possibly ZOC takes effect (new!); during the jump the unit ignores enemy units completely;
The teleporting between the source and destination hexes costs no movepoint. But the jump (if there is any) reduces unit's movepoints accordingly to the movepoints that would be spent on the way from the destination hex to the alternative hex (new!); (but if the resulting movepoints are negative then they are set to zero)

The teleportation is not recursive, i.e. if the alternative destination hex is another teleport then you won't be teleported again.

ZOC (zones of control) summary:
a ZOC effect (a loss of all movepoints) is caused by an enemy unit ...
  1. adjacent to the starting teleport hex (except the teleported unit started its turn there)
  2. standing on the destination teleport hex or adjacent to it
  3. adjacent to the alternative destination hex (new!)
Observations
Observations related to 'jump'
There is a set of hexes reachable by the standard way (without a 'jump' to the alternative destination hex) and under assumption the destination area is empty of units. But a 'jump' may allow a unit to get further.
Anyway, if a 'jumped' unit gets further than the standard way then it cannot move anymore. Also it is assured that no unit can reach a village (even a passenger from a boat) through a teleport, unless it is possible by the standard way (in other words the unit must have enough real movepoints to achieve it even without a 'jump').
teleports in future
obsolete (for Conquest- 3.1.11 and bellow)
The standard Wesnoth teleport system is used:
How Wesnoth teleports work:
A unit steps on a teleport hex and is teleported to the destination hex. If the destination hex is occupied then the unit pops up on an empty adjacent tile with the "lowest" coordinates.
The teleporting itself costs no movepoint.

(ZOCs at teleport:
if there is an enemy unit adjacent to the starting teleport hex then the unit is teleported but ends its turn on the destination hex
if there is an enemy unit adjacent to the ending teleport hex then the teleported unit can still move (of course any next move is treated as any normal move with the ZOCs effect))
How teleports in Conquest Minus work:
There are pairs of teleports on a map, so you can teleport forth and then return back.
You can distinguish teleport pairs by runes: Teleport hexes are marked by runes, and both paired teleport hexes use an equal rune.

ZOCs at teleport:
if there is an enemy unit
- adjacent to the starting teleport hex or
- adjacent to the ending teleport hex or
- on the ending teleport hex
then the unit is teleported but loses all its movepoints afterwards. This is true even if the destination hex is occupied and the teleported unit appears elsewhere (= besides the destination hex).

During his turn a player can right-click on any teleport hex and scroll to the destination hex.
How teleports on the Surdmark map are placed
There are 6 pairs of teleports on this map. They always teleport you vertically or horizontally to the other end of the map.
There are 2 teleports in any corner (a vertical and a horizontal one), and 1 teleport on any side (a vertical or a horizontal one).

The idea of this system is to make the map similar to a tyre surface (so called toroid): with toroid you could move from any hex on northern edge to an oppposite hex on the southern edge (see picture A and blue lines), and similarly between the eastern and western edges (see picture A and black lines).
But to have hundreds of teleports on the map is not very practical, and so the number of teleports is limited. This causes the land (the tyre) is somewhat cut around the teleports: For example from a corner you can develop in any direction (N, S, E, W, SE, SW, NE, NW) like if you were in the center, but the land is cut in N, S, E, W direction, and so 4 quarters are separated:
The picture C represents a situation you are in a corner (better to say corners, as all corners are equal; in fact there are only 4 points shown on the map: NW=NE=SW=SE, E=W, S=N, C). The only difference (in comparison with a central position, which is shown on picture B) is the map edges (red lines) act as an impassable terrain.
Attachments
toroid4.jpg
Last edited by SlowThinker on February 28th, 2014, 1:16 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Lich_Lord

Post by Lich_Lord »

I have one, possibly two bugs to report.

1) In standard mode, after giving each player an equal amount of villages, all remaining villages are filled with a player 1 militia, but player one doesn't get control of the extra villages.

2)I'm not really sure how important this is, but it seems like the start color of player 5 has been changed to teal (not a big deal) and the same happens to player 6, which is now orange. So players 6 and 7 are both orange. Player 8 was white, but it didn't cause a problem since I tested it in a standard game.

EDIT:

3)The text about how the game will kick players without Ageless Era seems to also appear on maps that don't have Kalifa.
SlowThinker

Post by SlowThinker »

Lich_Lord wrote:1) In standard mode ...but player one doesn't get control of the extra villages.
What do you mean by 'the extra villages'?
(Yes, in the stardard mode all players get an equal number of villages, and the superfluous villages are given to the AI.)
2) I'm not really sure how important this is, but it seems like the start color of player 5 has been changed to teal (not a big deal) and the same happens to player 6, which is now orange. So players 6 and 7 are both orange. Player 8 was white, but it didn't cause a problem since I tested it in a standard game.
I started to test it and I noticed:
If the host changes default colors in the "Create Game" window, then sometimes changes are not accepted correctly and some sides get wrong colors (and so two sides may get an equal color).
It looks like a bug of Wesnoth, not Conquest ... I will try to find out when the bug arises.
3)The text about how the game will kick players without Ageless Era seems to also appear on maps that don't have Kalifa.
I never noticed this problem. On which map did you notice it?
Lich_Lord

Post by Lich_Lord »

SlowThinker wrote:
Lich_Lord wrote:1) In standard mode ...but player one doesn't get control of the extra villages.
What do you mean by 'the extra villages'?
(Yes, in the stardard mode all players get an equal number of villages, and the superfluous villages are given to the AI.)
What I mean is the superfluous villages, like a 6 player game on a map with 61 villages. What will happen is that all players will be given 10 villages, and then a militia will be placed on the 61st village. The militia that is placed on the 61st village is controled by player one, but they can't recruit from it on their turn. So player 1 will start with 10 villages, but 11 militia.
SlowThinker wrote:
I never noticed this problem. On which map did you notice it?
I tested your lotr map, which doesn't have Kalifa in it, and yet warning box came up.
SlowThinker

Post by SlowThinker »

Strange, I just tried a test with the lotr map. the standard mode, 6 players:
- no kalifa warning
- 4 villages of 64 are AI=white (Did you change the default colors? maybe you got the color bug and side 1 and the AI side have equal colors?)
Lich_Lord

Post by Lich_Lord »

SlowThinker wrote:Strange, I just tried a test with the lotr map. the standard mode, 6 players:
- no kalifa warning
- 4 villages of 64 are AI=white (Did you change the default colors? maybe you got the color bug and side 1 and the AI side have equal colors?)
Hmmm, maybe its because I don't have the most up to date version of conquest minus, right now I have 3.0.4 I think. Though, when I got the red militia, instead of white, they were controlled by player one.
Lich_Lord

Post by Lich_Lord »

Arrg, I am such an idiot. When I went to update conquest-, it deleted the .cfg I had made for my new map. Is there a way that I can recover the .cfg if it is gone from my version of conquest-? I still have a window of Wesnoth open that is accessing the cfg.
SlowThinker

Post by SlowThinker »

If the bug 1) and 3) will happen with 3.0.5 then let me know, I will send you a Conquest- with a debug window.
Lich_Lord wrote:Arrg, I am such an idiot. When I went to update conquest-, it deleted the .cfg I had made for my new map. Is there a way that I can recover the .cfg if it is gone from my version of conquest-? I still have a window of Wesnoth open that is accessing the cfg.
Save the game, then you can dig the cfg from the save (at least the part with [region]. All {macros} will be replaced by the code from definitions though).