Conquest Minus

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Lich_Lord

Re: Conquest Minus

Post by Lich_Lord »

One thing to make clear about the bugs I've reported, including a fourth bug that I've found, it seems to only happen on your new code format slow, so your lotr map using the new format and my conquest Burgoth (the new map) since I coded it using your format.

Btw, when I refer to your format, I am using your conquest_template_v2.cfg, which I believe is the most up to date one that you've posted.

1)Still happening whenever I host a standard game on the lotr or burgoth map.
3)Had trouble reproducing this bug, maybe it was just a fluke last time.
4)Using the conquest_template_v2.cfg, AI do not spawn on white's turn in a cap game.

Just to make sure that I'm using the most up to date version of your new code slow, I've attached what I've been using.
Attachments
conquest_template_v2.cfg
Just if you want to make sure that this the most recent version of your new code, if you want to check...
(10.4 KiB) Downloaded 452 times
SlowThinker

Post by SlowThinker »

I think I see the problem:

conquest_template_v2.cfg had been published before Conquest Minus 3.0 was released.
So for Conquest Minus 3.0+ also changes explained in Conquest Minus 3.0 changelog must be applied.

(I will make this clear in the "Scenario file format version 2" post)

Concerning the bug 2) :
Firstly I created it easily on the Surmark map (I just switched colors of side 1 and 8, and the color 8 went to side 2 in place of side 1, so side 1 retained the red color). But yesterday I struggled 20 mins to recreate this bug, and I wasn't successfull.
Last edited by SlowThinker on May 24th, 2011, 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
I work on Conquest Minus • I use DFoolWide, Retro Terrain Package and the add-on 'High Contrast Water'
I moved to Nosebane's corner (Doc Paterson's signature); I am spending my time there, so PM me if I don't answer your post in forums
Lich_Lord

Post by Lich_Lord »

Ahh yes, that could very well be the issue. In that case, do you have a more recent version of your code that I could use, or are you still working on it?
SlowThinker

Post by SlowThinker »

The most recent version is semifinished, 3.0.5 is ok for you (unless your map has no human-type village).
I work on Conquest Minus • I use DFoolWide, Retro Terrain Package and the add-on 'High Contrast Water'
I moved to Nosebane's corner (Doc Paterson's signature); I am spending my time there, so PM me if I don't answer your post in forums
SlowThinker

Post by SlowThinker »

Here are some screenshots of various stages of the game and various game modes.
Notice the minimap in the upper right corner - you can see the real size of whole map.

In order to get a better resolution, click individual images or download screenshots.zip.
Attachments
screenshots.zip
image files of the screenshots below
(2 MiB) Downloaded 462 times
capitol mode, early stage - expansion, no enemy spotted
capitol mode, early stage - expansion, no enemy spotted
capitol mode, 1 vs 1, but both players control 4 sides, middle stage
capitol mode, 1 vs 1, but both players control 4 sides, middle stage
all-villages mode, FFA, 6 players, early stage
all-villages mode, FFA, 6 players, early stage
Last edited by SlowThinker on February 27th, 2013, 2:26 am, edited 7 times in total.
SlowThinker

How to...

Post by SlowThinker »

(feel free to ask if you have any problem with the stuff described in this post)

How to install an additional Conquest map

All you need is to add relevant files to proper locations. (Similarly you can remove maps if you think the list of maps is too long)

Files of Conquest maps and their location
You need to know this: on your harddrive each Conquest variant is placed in a unique folder (like 'Conquest-', 'Conquest+6P', 'Conquest', 'Jinnaraka_Conquest').

The map definition consists of two files: .cfg and .map. For example to play 'Conquest- Europe' you need:
  • europe.cfg (location: Wesnoth1.10/data/add-ons/Conquest-/scenarios/europe.cfg)
  • europe.map (location: Wesnoth1.10/data/add-ons/Conquest-/maps/europe.map)
The paths above are valid for Conquest Minus, therefore 'Conquest-' in the path. If you want to add a map to Conquest+ for example, then you must replace 'Conquest-' by 'Conquest+6P'.

Where to locate the "Wesnoth1.10" folder? Read this article:Where is my user data directory? (this article explains where a default user data directory is located)

Warning
Remember: if you manipulate (add, remove, edit) the Conquest files (including the maps), you must
  • either manipulate when Wesnoth is not running
  • or refresh Wesnoth cache after the manipulation (you press F5 from the main Wesnoth menu)

How to adapt a Conquest map file to your Conquest variant

(this part is slightly obsolete now)

If you take any Conquest map file (they are described above), it is not assured it will work with your Conquest variant. You may need to edit them by a texteditor (a note: always save files as a plain text, don't save as a formated text (odt, rtf, doc...)).
They differ in the following points:
  1. Directory (folder) and name of the Conquest variant
    They are reflected in the .cfg file: For example:

Code: Select all

id=Conquest- Europe
    name=_"Conquest- Europe"

map_data="{~add-ons/Conquest-/maps/europe.map}"
    Third line above must refer to the real location of the .map file ("~" stands for "Wesnoth1.8/data/", read the article above for details), and so the line above would work with Conquest Minus only. If the map should be used with Conquest+ for example, 'Conquest-' would have to be changed to the appropriate folder name, i.e. 'Conquest+6p'
    Line 1 and 2 help to identify the map in the lobby list, and so the text should be congruous.
  2. Max. number of players: fixed/variable
    1. original-compatible:
      All maps of the Conquest variant have fixed max. number of players (usually all maps allow 6 players, maps of Conquest+8p allow 8-players)
      Conquest variants that use this system: Conquest Minus up to 2.7.3b and all non-Minus variants (original Conquest (up to 2.7.2f), The Best Conquest, Conquest+ 6-player, Conquest+ 8-player, Mabuse's new Conquest)
    2. Conquest Minus 3.0 compatible
      Max. number of players is variable (6,7,8)
      Conquest variants that use this system: Conquest Minus 3.0 and above
    How to transform an A-style .cfg file to a B-style file for 6 players:
    Next line

{CONQUEST_AI_DEFINITION 7 white}
    must be added after the line with {GAME_MODES ...}. That's all.
    How to raise number of players of B-style files from 6 to 8 (the procedure from 6 to 7 is analogous):
    • position of leaders 7 and 8 must be added to the .map file (this is doable either by Wesnoth map editor or by any texteditor if you turn off the word wrap function)
    • Definition of side 7 and 8 must be added to the .cfg file, and AI must be changed to side 9 (again all this must be placed after {GAME_MODES ...}):

{CONQUEST_SIDE_DEFINITION 7 black} 
      {CONQUEST_SIDE_DEFINITION 8 brown}  	
      {CONQUEST_AI_DEFINITION 9 white} 
    • if format version 1 (about formats read next paragraph) is used then

{CALCULATE_INCOME_BONUS_put_map_name_here 7}	
      {CALCULATE_INCOME_BONUS_put_map_name_here 8}
      must be added to the file (look near end of the file).
  3. Format version of the .cfg file
    Unlike points 1. and 2. above, this point is not related to a Conquest variant: any format works with any Conquest variant.
    You need to care about this point only if the map allows more than 6 players.
    But it is recommended to create new maps with version 2: it is less laborious and in future these maps will introduce new functionalities.

At present two different formats are used:
    1. version 1 (example: The Ring map v. 1.12)
    2. version 2 (example: Templates of the format v. 2, The Ring map v. 1.17 and 1.19)
    They differ in an internal representation of regions, villages and bonuses. Any map may be coded in both version 1 and 2.
    How to differentiate the versions: version 2 includes this line:

{VARIABLE scen_input.version 2}
Last edited by SlowThinker on March 23rd, 2013, 2:32 pm, edited 8 times in total.
SlowThinker

Various Conquest Maps

Post by SlowThinker »

I collected links to maps that were scattered through threads. You may want to play them or to improve them...

My post above explains how to add a map to Conquest.
If the map is not compatible with your Conquest variant, you need to adjust it (read the post above).

Some maps are not finished or balanced.
Some maps are added to Conquest add-ons already.

Next maps are Conquest Minus 3.0 compatible (sometimes also original-compatible versions are present):
Lotrando - the old version (format ver. 2.1; also original-compatible versions)
Poland and Dative (format ver. 2.1; also original-compatible versions)
Far East (format ver. 2.1)
maps from other Conquest variants (format ver. 2.1 / 1.0)

Alawafar (format ver. 1)
Next maps are original-compatible, format ver. 1
The Best Conquest 1.0.0.7 (the last version is on the addon server)
New World, not playable, .map file only

Thebes
Xanthor
Tangia
Next maps are for Wesnoth 1.9 (they don't work with 1.8), original-compatible, format ver. 1:
Last edited by SlowThinker on September 3rd, 2011, 10:48 am, edited 9 times in total.
SlowThinker

maps for Conquest Minus

Post by SlowThinker »

Conquest Far East
the map was created by Lich_Lord and introduced here
The map is not very well balanced, and so I added 5 teleports that help the eastern island regions.

The attachment contains both the original map and the map with teleports.
Maps are Conquest Minus 3.0 compatible.
Edit: I reuploaded the file: the format has been upgraded to 2.1
Attachments
Far East.zip
(9.81 KiB) Downloaded 479 times
Last edited by SlowThinker on March 7th, 2011, 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
SlowThinker

maps for Conquest Minus

Post by SlowThinker »

maps from other Conquest variants, I transformed them for Conquest Minus:
(all maps are Conquest Minus 3.0 compatible.)

Gwledig's maps from Conquest+
Edit: I removed Drake World, because the original was buggy, and so also the version for Conquest- was buggy. Wales had a small bug only, and so I corrected it. I added Faerie Islands.

this map is in the format 1.0:
Conquest- Desert Empires (super bonuses, human units only)
these maps are in the format 2.1:
Conquest- Wales (human units only)
Conquest- Faerie Islands (standard races only)
Jinnaraka's map from The Best Conquest
the map is in the format 2.1:
Conquest- San Francisco
Attachments
wales,desert,faerie.zip
(21.66 KiB) Downloaded 453 times
san_francisco.zip
(7.92 KiB) Downloaded 477 times
Last edited by SlowThinker on March 6th, 2011, 4:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.
SlowThinker

maps for Conquest Minus

Post by SlowThinker »

Zbyll's maps

Next maps are original-compatible, format ver. 1: The attached maps are Conquest Minus 3.0 compatible, format ver. 2.1:
Conquest- Dative v. 1.1
Conquest- Dative (no center) v. 1.1
Attachments
dative.zip
2 maps: Dative + Dative (no center)
(11.75 KiB) Downloaded 449 times
Gwledig

Post by Gwledig »

Good stuff with the map conversions Slow
Maintainer of Conquest (Original Gameplay), Conquest+, Conquest+ Space/Ranged, Chaoz Battle of the Wizards, Lazersquad (squad game), WesCraft (building MP game)
SlowThinker

Conquest Minus 3.0.6

Post by SlowThinker »

Conquest Minus 3.0.6

for players:
Changes that affect the game mechanics:
  • A missing 'leader ability' has been added to Warships. So now also Warships are vulnerable to units with the 'assassin ability'.
  • a (theoretical) bug has been removed: the bug would happen on maps with no human recruit
Changes that don't affect the game mechanics:
  • I decided to put more maps in the add-on (total 25 maps now). If you think the list is too long now, you can delete some maps, just follow How to install an additional Conquest map.
    The new maps that weren't included in any Conquest Minus yet or were changed: Dative, Dative (no center), Desert Empires, Faerie Islands, Far East (teleports), Lotrando, San Francisco, Surdmark (teleports, long distances), Wales.
  • Most maps show more comfortable labels (due to a new scenario format 2.1).
for map creators:
Most maps are written in the scenario format 2.1, which is similar to 2.0, but shows better labels and allows to shift village coordinates. For details just look in the .cfg files of scenarios, later I will publish more information.
Attachments
Conquest-.tar.bz2
Conquest- 3.0.6
(obsolete now)
(115.89 KiB) Downloaded 458 times
Last edited by SlowThinker on May 15th, 2011, 5:07 pm, edited 6 times in total.
13arrage

Post by 13arrage »

Slowthinker, you're my hero.
SlowThinker

For newbies

Post by SlowThinker »

Contents:
  • Conquest Minus Help
  • How a newbie can plug into Conquest (Minus)

Conquest Minus Help

The goal of the game is to destroy all of your opponents' non-leader units. Leaders are symbolic units only and have no effect.

Recruiting
You may recruit units from any empty village you own by right clicking it. Any freshly recruited unit starts with 1 move point only.
Possible recruits depend on the village type and the scenario. You can find out possible recruits of a village and their statistics if you right-click it during your turn and choose "Recruit Information"
Units
Conquest uses Wesnoth units (with their names, images, sounds, animations), but their statistics and properties are different.
The unit level is always equal to the unit cost. The unit level is usually adequate to the the unit combat strength, except for special units (e.g. a worker, which is very weak but level 4)
Combat
The combat system is very simplifed: all units have a melee berserk attack only, there is no time of day effect, no resistances (except units with hero / assassin abilities), units don't level up.
Income
The gold income is added prior to any player's turn starts:
- Capturing villages will provide +1 income per village (or more if standard game settings are not applied).
- Holding all the villages of entire regions will grant you additional income bonus. The bonus is shown in a label at a village, just after the village name and the region name; for example: "Darnol(Sunny Hills+5)". Also a table on the map shows a list of bonuses of all regions. (The column 'Base Income' of Scenario Settings (it is reachable by alt-s) shows the sum of side's region bonuses increased by 2.)
- Placing workers on villages will provide another +1 income.
(Units don't pay any upkeep)
Restoring units
A player can restore all unit's hitpoints of a wounded unit by right clicking it while it is in a Village or Oasis. The unit must have at least one move left though, and the player must have enough gold to pay
the restoration cost. The cost is computed this way:
"Full restoration cost" is a theoretical value that represents the cost to heal all unit's hitpoints. The real restoration cost is proportional to the unit's damage. For example Lancer's "Full restoration cost" is 8 gold and it has max. 150 hitpoints. If 75 hitpoints needs to be restored then the restoration cost will be 4 gold.
After the restoration, unit's hitpoints are fully restored, but movepoints are reduced to 1.
Boats
Any village with an adjacent water hex can recruit boats.
Any boat can carry one unit. This is represented by the 'transport' ability of boats. (Units that cannot be boarded have the 'noboard' ability.)
In order to board a passenger, right-click a boat when
- the passenger is in a village
- he has at least one movepoint left
- the boat is on an adjacent hex
In order to unboard a passenger, right-click a boat when it is adjacent to an empty village. After the unboarding the passenger has no movepoint, but he can attack.
Boarding / unboarding has no effect to boat's movepoints.
Boats can fight like any other unit. If a boat is killed, a passenger dies too.
A boat needs all its movepoints in order to enter a (non-water) village. In other words: a boat can enter a village only if it starts a turn on an adjacent hex.
Neutrals
The Neutrals (white color) spawn in some game modes and in some moments:
- the capitol mode: before turn 2, Neutrals fill all empty villages . Random units (level 1, level 2 ... level 5) are used.
- the all-villages mode: before the game starts, Neutrals can fill few superfluous villages. Units of level 1 are used.
The Neutrals neither move nor initiate an attack, but they do retaliate if they are attacked.
Teleports
Some maps have teleports. Read more information at
http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... 53#p476453
Notes
Context menus work in many situations: you can right-click any village, a wounded unit, a boat, a teleport hex.
Some types of units have special abilities. The abilities are; hero, assassin, transport, noboard, worker, relax. In order to get more information, hover a mouse over the ability name in the right-side panel.

How a newbie can plug into Conquest (Minus)

The rules of Conquest are easy, but noobs have no chance to win against experienced players.

There are several ways how to learn Conquest:
  • you can observe Conquest games (but this way you won't see how the context menus work)
  • you can replay games of more experienced players:Conquest Minus Ladder, Conquest Replays, Tournament: Conquest, Database of Conquest Minus game starts, http://replays.wesnoth.org/
  • you can download Conquest Minus (or any other Conquest add-on, but Minus has the simplest rules and has some more advantages) and ...
    • play the scenario Test your strength! (Then you can play again and try to do it better.)
    • you can create your own 'Test your strength' games: try a singleplayer game (take side 1 and let all other sides empty) on a rather small map, choose the capitol mode, and try to conquer all villages as fast as possible.
    • training with singleplayer games:
      1. play a singleplayer game like explained in the previous point, and save in turn 1, before the militia jumps in the pool
      2. try to conquer all villages as fast as possible, and remember number of turns you needed to achieve it
      3. load your save of turn 1 (use "Map to play: Load Game") and try a better strategy and a faster conquest of all villages
      4. repeat until you cannot improve your result anymore
    • try a multiplayer game with other newbie(s): 1 vs 1, teams or FFA (but FFA are confused by diplomacy)
Last edited by SlowThinker on February 11th, 2014, 12:08 pm, edited 16 times in total.
wtf_is_this

Post by wtf_is_this »

I used to learn by playing 1-2 single games just to see how the difrent menus work.Then i watched several multiplayer games and played some ffa.

But now team games are very popular,so the best way to learn is to play with an experienced player in a team.This should help in most of the times.BUt beter watch 1-2 games and see how menus work ;).

Btw cos of mabuse maybe conquest has realy been 'aborted'.Its imposible to make a game without discusion in lobby and many good players got bored cos of the many changes.I hope conquest is as popular as it was last sumer-somewhere 4 games were always open.Now half a day can run without conquest :( .Still some nice 1v1s are made with players who i know from long time.