Conquest, Conquest+, Conquest+ Space Updates

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

SlowThinker

Re: Extra Conquest Maps by Gwledig

Post by SlowThinker »

:lol2: I just found out this thread:
Automate Shift +D D to see spawn thro fog?

Gwledig wrote:they aint empty it has AI on it... its been this way in REALM for maybe 2 years? so whats the fuss?
I will answer the all-Militia AI in the main thread, because it is related to all variants of Conquest.
I work on Conquest Minus • I use DFoolWide, Retro Terrain Package and the add-on 'High Contrast Water'
I moved to Nosebane's corner (Doc Paterson's signature); I am spending my time there, so PM me if I don't answer your post in forums
Conrad

Post by Conrad »

Gwledig I was wondering about transport boats... You know maybe something that can hold more than one unit at a time? (of course these boats would be expensive, but also maybe able to unload anywhere? ) See if you do consider this then it will mean you would have to put up some type of... control, on it. So lets say then that you can't put artillery in the transports or that units lose all but one of their moves when they disembark. Maybe the transports can only hold 6 men at a time... Eh don't listen to me I am probably crazy.
-Conrad
"Strength in numbers" is a common phrase.
But doesn't anyone remember?
Small amounts are more manageable.
Gwledig

Post by Gwledig »

Hmm not crazy, but I guess you have about 3 different personalities associated with diff nicks, there's probably a name for that in medical books :/

sounds like an interesting idea the disembark anywhere is simple to do but would raise lots of eyebrows, it would change gameplay a lot also I think if you did it it would need to be for all boats or it would be too confusing.

I think you can only unleash so many big changes at a time so maybe this is something to consider in a few months.

I am also inclined to keep conquest 2,7 gameplay, adding only bug fixes and obvious enhancements ppl been asking for for ages, but if global embark is one of them things maybe its something to be added.

multiple units is interesting.. maybe a carrier or transport named ship which holds multiple units.. very interesting idea IMO but very vulnerable to attack and loss of all yer units ?
Maintainer of Conquest (Original Gameplay), Conquest+, Conquest+ Space/Ranged, Chaoz Battle of the Wizards, Lazersquad (squad game), WesCraft (building MP game)
Conrad

Post by Conrad »

Hmm possibly give it evasive trait? so that berserk is turned off and the enemy can only hit it for one round of attack? That way with low attack and normal health it has a chance, it will also encourage people to organize attacks. AND this will make fortifications more important in the sea.
Remember the limitations? well transports cant sail unto areas with shoals or fords then.... would that work?
-Conrad

(I am not crazy then just insane. :lol2: )
"Strength in numbers" is a common phrase.
But doesn't anyone remember?
Small amounts are more manageable.
Gwledig

Post by Gwledig »

Conquest+ 6p and 8p now has fog clearing at startup...

ST - I stole your code! well, the short one I did was ok I think but I wasn't triggering it in the right place, and I tried your macro, which basically did the same redraw thing.. then I realised I needed to call the redraw at the point where vilas are allocated instead of using event=start etc. By then I had left your version of the code in, so hope you don't mind, imitation is the highest form of flattery!
Maintainer of Conquest (Original Gameplay), Conquest+, Conquest+ Space/Ranged, Chaoz Battle of the Wizards, Lazersquad (squad game), WesCraft (building MP game)
SlowThinker

Post by SlowThinker »

Gwledig, in fact I expected you might want to "imitate" large portions of the code (but as I said, so far it is somewhat messy).
Anyway code "stealing" is the philosophy of the GNU licence.
I work on Conquest Minus • I use DFoolWide, Retro Terrain Package and the add-on 'High Contrast Water'
I moved to Nosebane's corner (Doc Paterson's signature); I am spending my time there, so PM me if I don't answer your post in forums
Gwledig

Post by Gwledig »

well I see 3 long term options for conquest+

1. it stays the same way it is and just gets maintained for 1.9 and gets more bug fixes
2. it continues as a fork of conquest and is re-made using yous or mabuse's new code base, with new factions and forts added back in.
3. it dissapears and the new maps and features are added as unique maps in either of the other packs

the outcome will largely depend on my free time but I dont expect to get tons of raw time to develop maps or anything else, so have to see..
SlowThinker

Post by SlowThinker »

Gwledig, I remember you complained "Conquest-" didn't distinguish maps enough, but I see Conquest_Desert_Empires today, and even Conquest-_Surdmark yesterday (both Conquest+).
Don't forget also the id is shown (in fact only this one is shown in the lobby). This is why I decided id and name would be equal in C- scenarios.
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

Gwledig wrote:well I see 3 long term options for conquest+

1. it stays the same way it is and just gets maintained for 1.9 and gets more bug fixes
2. it continues as a fork of conquest and is re-made using yous or mabuse's new code base, with new factions and forts added back in.
3. it dissapears and the new maps and features are added as unique maps in either of the other packs

the outcome will largely depend on my free time but I dont expect to get tons of raw time to develop maps or anything else, so have to see..
i want to say on this matter that i would like to include some of your maps into the main conquest upload.
the factions would/could need some more work, custom gfx perhaps, slight modifications, different concepts.
The best bet is your own, good Taste.
Gwledig

Post by Gwledig »

Hm I think someone has been trying to log into my account... was on max login attempts.. wierd..

yes mabuse just do whatever you like, GPL and all that.. the beast scorpion (militia) needs a filter to stop poison working on mechanical units
SlowThinker

Post by SlowThinker »

Gwledig wrote:Hm I think someone has been trying to log into my account... was on max login attempts.. wierd..
Same problem happened to me. I guess it was some forum bug.
Gwledig

Post by Gwledig »

A few updates

* ships loaded just show 'loaded' under the portrait now, I thought it was too obvious with the icon, also the technique I used cleared the special overlay for dhows and caravels, so might look at another way to do this again
* the poison is totally off all poisoners
* the magus now also summons 2 extra units a serpent and infantry unit
SlowThinker

Arcadia

Post by SlowThinker »

Arcadia:
The map seems not to be completed in the southern part. Will you ever finish it?
Gwledig

Post by Gwledig »

Dunno Slow I'm pretty busy with stuff at the mo, 'Arcadia' is one of them maps donated by people like Zybll.

I fixed the bug/error where the magus serpent cost 1 gold.. oops
SlowThinker

Post by SlowThinker »

Drake world is buggy:
Gwledig, it looks you made 2 sets of regions and villages, and you forgot to remove one of them.
For example a village at 53,15 belongs to two regions, with two different names ... and so the owner gets two bonuses but Fortress Darthmalak is listed under the map, but it is not shown under any village ...

Edit:
and Wales is buggy too:
the region St. Davids doesn't exist on the map (but gets a bonus). In the version for Conquest- I gave all 4 villages to Pembroke with a bonus of 5.
Gwent and Glamorgal share a village in the code