SXC Development

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Jinnaraka

Re: SXC Development

Post by Jinnaraka »

spookymagician wrote:I started designing a new sxc map. I have the map almost complete. (I just have to add a few touch up's here and there.) It's going to be very similar to SXC_SpoOky_Forest. (What can I say? I love spooky themes. Heh...) The name of the map this time is SXC_SpoOky_Castle. The story is basically, five friends head out to the remains of a large castle/fort. They heard rumours that it is haunted by the soldiers that died during battle. Against your better judgement, you decide to check it out anyway. Pretty straight forward storyline. The general layout is the castle/fort in the middle, shops remain far away in the four corners of the map, and there is an outer wall protecting the castle/fort. It will take me some time to code out the scenario. Most likely, it will not be balanced at first. I will have to run it though a test run at some point with 5 pro sxc players on the hardest difficulty. Anyhow, I will let you know more in a bit. In the meantime, you can check my current map design.
Spoiler:
edit: Too lazy to save/view in wesnoth? Here... ( http://img571.imageshack.us/i/mapscreenshot000.png/ )

edit: I think the general design of the map is complete now. Take a look... ( http://img858.imageshack.us/i/mapscreenshot000.png/ )

edit: All that is left now is to code it... I think I will work on it tomorrow though. I have some things to do at the moment so... Until then...

~ SpoOkyMagician

I saw the map. it is boring, and you are a boring person (As I saw you many time starting a game with one person with a title: "I am bored"), but good job and congratulation on your newest map anyway.
Legendary Thief (single player (Intermediated level, 20 scenarios) campaign; author)
Various Multiplayer scenarios modifier
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Jinnaraka wrote:It is not me ignoring your warning at all. I will continue add more people to my ban list, but I probably will make a better ban list, so no SOB can find it. Something like when certain people play the game, he will have less gold or maybe more to make other player thinking he/she is cheating and all. It will fun.
No, you are ignoring my warning by telling us that you’ll continue to add people to your silly ban list and make it even harder for us to find out whether you are indulging in this unacceptable practice or not — it doesn’t matter whether you removed the add-on (which you did) if you are going to stay around with this attitude. Also, you are being generally rude towards me, the people in your ban list, and other contributors to this thread.

I suppose you won’t mind losing the privilege of posting in these forums, given your low opinion of us and your past behavior.

Let’s move on to other things now.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
SpoOkyMagician

Post by SpoOkyMagician »

^ ignoring all that...

I want to let you all know that I am rewriting/updating sxc_stronghold and sxc_system at the moment. Note that I am not balancing the scenarios. I am only changing old outdated macros to the new ones. -stf-/Lester are the primary users in charge of balancing and whatnot. However, I am sure it will be balanced in due time and will be available once again to play. :)

- Current Status -

SXC_Stronghold: (Done)
SXC_System: (Done)

I will probably add more to this list. Although, -stf- said that some require... special needs... So, I am going to leave them to him. I'll have to see what else I can do after I finish these. All I recall he said was not to do the golbeeze's SX scenarios or sxc_battle. (He will deal with those himself.) The others he said I can update. I will look into this in a few minutes... I am just doing this to help out -stf- speed up the progress of SXC development.

~ SpoOkyMagician
Last edited by SpoOkyMagician on May 12th, 2011, 6:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
"You don't have to understand me, I'm just there!" ~ SpoOkyMagician
Creator of: Unwelcome Guests Series, Modifiable Android Project, SpoOky's Survivals, and many more... (Most of my old stuff is gone.)
(User Page)
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

Who exactly is on the SX Team? And how do you get in? :whistle:
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
SpoOkyMagician

Post by SpoOkyMagician »

credits.txt wrote: These people helped with improving this pack:

Clonkinator
Mabuse
Golbeeze
Lester
mond
pkz
MCP
SpoOkyMagician
Light
BuBu

If I forgot someone, please send me personal message
As long as you contribute "something" to the project, you are considered part of the team as far as I know. -stf- may have other thoughts on this though. You will have to ask him. ;)

edit: Almost done with updating system. Just need to do the upgrades for enemy sides.

edit: okay, this one is taking a bit longer then I expected... Plus, I am watching tv... I may finish this tonight or tomorrow for sure.

edit: I stopped watching tv and listening to some music. I managed to finish sxc system just now. :)

edit: I will wait til tomorrow to see what else I can work on.
Creator of: Unwelcome Guests Series, Modifiable Android Project, SpoOky's Survivals, and many more... (Most of my old stuff is gone.)
(User Page)
MCP

Post by MCP »

Yea but I don't have the password to update the add-on, which if I had, I might have done some things by now...
-stf-

Post by -stf- »

MCP: No problem, just write it here or send me a PM with updated files and I will add it, I am reading this post often than playing right now.

vutraz: When you will have something useful that can be added into SXC, i.e. good map, help with bug reporting, balancing (includes map testing and making suggestions), I will add you on the list.

SpoOkyMagician: I will check these maps for errors and when everything will go fine, I will add them back with next version.
SpoOkyMagician

Post by SpoOkyMagician »

-stf-: Okay. :)

Anyway, I just had a brilliant idea come to my mind. (Mostly thanks to Puppy_Luv's PM asking about SpoOky Spiral) :geek:

I cannot believe I did not think of this before... Here is my idea...

Since SS (SpoOky Spiral A and B) was similar to SXC, (somewhat anyway) why not just make an sxc scenario similar to it? :mrgreen: Now, that you know, I still want to point out a few things...

1: There will be castles/leaders to recruit enemies. (This wasn't in SS)
2: I plan to make a completely new map. (I don't see the point in using the old maps.)
3: I do plan to have traps/events/etc like SS did. Although, remember that this is SXC. Not SS. :P
4: You will be fighting the map maker again. (me. :P )

Anyway, I will get to this brilliant idea right away. (I will start with the map now. Give me some time and I should finish it soon. :wink: )

~ SpoOkyMagician

edit: I realized that I cannot use the opening doors in this version. It will cause problems with normal sxc behavior... I will have to keep all doors open. Anyway, I didn't get much done yesterday due to a storm... I will work on the map some more now.

edit: The general map design is complete. Take a look. :D
SXC_SpoOky_Spiral.map
SpoOky Spiral Map (general concept)
(72.49 KiB) Downloaded 622 times
edit: I am undecided with the sides yet... Although, I might as well brainstorm...

side 6: dwarves? (good for mountains/hills/cave.)
side 7: humans, drakes, or both? (I dunno yet.)
side 8: elves and maybe orcs? (would be good for trees down the road.)
side 9: undead (For sure) and maybe monsters. (monsters would be nice.)

edit: I also noticed that I will need a lot of guards on this map... It will take time for the enemies to reach you... Besides, guards would be fun to fight along the way. :)

edit: I am gonna take a quick break. I'll work more on this a bit later on today. :whistle:
(User Page)
-stf-

Post by -stf- »

spookymagician wrote: edit: I realized that I cannot use the opening doors in this version. It will cause problems with normal sxc behavior... I will have to keep all doors open. Anyway, I didn't get much done yesterday due to a storm... I will work on the map some more now.
doors are not so hard to make, use normal terrain with impassable flag and door overlay with trigger that will change the impassable flag and remove door overlay.
SpoOkyMagician

Post by SpoOkyMagician »

That is not exactly the problem. I know "how" to do the doors. (I did it in SS of course. That is why there is orc castles in each area. Those were meant to be switches to open the doors.) It's just, the bosses are far back within the spiral. if I lock them in sections, players will not get kills until they reach that area... With the harder armies at turn x, that would cause some major issues...

- If players don't get kills fast enough, (from guards. They cannot get recruit kills until they reach x area.) they will not have a chance to reach the end at all. (recruits may be too powerful by then.)

edit: This is the only valid issue I can think of at the moment. Although, there are probably more...

edit: My first thought on the idea was to teleport the leader on the castle whenever the players open a certain door. That was a decent idea but, I still didn't like it.

edit: Well, I will give the first idea a chance... (teleport leaders to castle once player reaches x door.) If it complicates things, it will be removed. :geek:

edit: Seems there is another storm on the way... I will get whatever I can done now. :doh:

edit: I need to go... I'll continue to work on this tomorrow.
(User Page)
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

hello i have proplem...
i played with summoner in a SXC map and when i leveled him to grand summoner
then he dont had always hit
i know forbidden effects have been removed but could you give him just precision INSTEAD of always hit?
if you dont do, grand summoner cant be played like before
if you dont do you should make hints which effects are forbidden and that you hadnt gave some INSTEAD of them
Last edited by Konrad2 on June 16th, 2011, 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
BuBu

Post by BuBu »

Hi all,
Konrad2 wrote:hello i have proplem...
i played with summoner in a SXC map and when i leveled him to grand summoner
then he dont had always hit
i know forbidden effects have been removed but could you give him just precision instead of always hit?
if you dont do, grand summoner cant be played like before
if you dont do you should make hints which effects are forbidden and that you hadnt gave some instead of them
Ageless era is totaly umbalanced many units are too much overpowered, so remove some especials like always hit is very good idea, dont make sense use it in the game and it get boring because sxc isnt dificult playing in mad mode.

Spookymagician and -stf-

What do you think of put some "ambush" (some hidden units) units in the map to give more emotion in SXC and explore the terrains like forest and deep water. it isnt necessary be strong units. It is simple and not need especial code. This avoid the kill kill kill and kill without think ....
Take a look in the things that i did: 6p - Secret Valley , MAP for SX
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

um..
sure i can understand that you have removed always hit cos that would be too much overpowered but i asked if you could make a effect INSTEAD of always hit, maybe magical or precision
nissarin

Post by nissarin »

I've a proposal - right now creep strength is based on number of turns, it doesn't work too well, in time players get too strong and the game is getting boring (especially when some of them die/game was started with smaller team). Why not calculate creep strength using amount of money earned by players (single player, not team) ?
-stf-

Post by -stf- »

Many changes are planned but I don't have much time for it right now and first I want to have all maps balanced for full number of players and also import other maps that are not converted for new macros. That needs to test every single map, balance it and test again before uploading. Also, maps are only balanced with default era until all maps will be included, then I will start balancing difficulties and also units. I am sorry for the slow progress but I need to do other things first, then I can work on SXC when I have some time left.