Bold New Maps

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Zaroth
Inactive Developer

Re: Bold New Maps (Updated with the crazy new Hornshark!)

Post by Zaroth »

In my opinion the units could use some team coloring, it would help to better recognize who is fighting against whom.

What struck me - why the dwarves are protecting the three elvish ladies? Did dwarf-elven relations get a bit warmer recently without me noticing ? ;-)
Quetzalcoatl

Post by Quetzalcoatl »

Good point about colors :). Even one color undistinguishable teams would be an imporvement as true warrior most likely do not want to wear pink dress :P.
Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Pffft. True warriors can wear pink dresses and still be the manliest beings on the field.

Doc: Are you 'shopping those in or using WML?
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

Gambit wrote:Pffft. True warriors can wear pink dresses and still be the manliest beings on the field.

Doc: Are you 'shopping those in or using WML?
I'm just placing individual frames, like this:

{PLACE_IMAGE "units/human-loyalists/shocktrooper-attack-2.png~FL()" 10 37}

I would like to eventually give them different colors, but haven't yet figured out how to do so. :)
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

Quetzalcoatl wrote:Good point about colors :). Even one color undistinguishable teams would be an imporvement as true warrior most likely do not want to wear pink dress :P.
Perhaps it amuses Sulla to make them all do battle in pink? ;)
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
without your noses.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

try {PLACE_IMAGE "units/human-loyalists/shocktrooper-attack-2.png~FL()~RC(magenta>###)" 10 37}

where "###" is replaced either with a side number (1 for red, 2 for blue) or a color in hex form (FF0000 for red, 0000FF for blue) or in RGB form (255,0,0 for red, 0,0,255 for blue)
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

Done. Thanks, I think this is an improvement. :)
Attachments
Gangs of New York
Gangs of New York
without your noses.
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

There have been requests for a 4p version of New Hornshark, and I've finally completed a version. It will need a lot of testing, for sure.
Attachments
Hornshark4p.zip
(4.14 KiB) Downloaded 280 times
without your noses.
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

without your noses.
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

Alright, so-

Before we move on to round 2 of KOTF, I want to discuss potential modifications to the four maps being used.

It seems to me that Arcanclave and Aethermaw are okay, but if anyone thinks differently, let them speak. ;)

As for Thousand Stings Garrison, I think that a lot of the matchups are fine, but as most everyone has said, that chaotic rush can be too harsh. The central village has been thought to be particularly difficult to defend.

Take a look at the picture below to see what I've done so far. Those central villages have been moved back, and there are a few other small changes, including making the center a bit more awkward for land units to navigate (hopefully cutting down on an early chaotic swarm's ability to shift sides). I don't think it will be so stifling as to increase stalematish situations, but let me know what you guys think.

The big question is whether we bump TOD again, to give a chaotic one less turn to deliver their early beatdown. I haven't decided on that one yet, so post your thoughts.

EDIT: Oh, and of course the scorpions are still in there- They just don't show in the map editor. :)

EDIT 2: I think Rigor already has some ideas for his map, TWoPyrennis, but feedback is still good.
Attachments
TSGrev1.png
without your noses.
neki

Post by neki »

Hey there!

One suggestion for TSG - the impassable mountain next to the second southern village of P1 - make it grass, please. Once map starts filling up with units it is impossible to attack south or north, that choke point is just too... perfect. By replacing only the tile right next to the village with grass it is still almost equally hard to attack but you can at least put some skirmisher pressure there.

REPLAY for this: my not yet finished match vs. Rigor: me as attacking drake, him as camping elf :). I am sure he would love to comment on that and also post the replay. Rigor, by the way, I won't be having time to continue the match, so you can report it as win on ladder :).

Cheers!

neki
Kolbur

Post by Kolbur »

This looks good as far as I can see. You also expanded the central deep water, right? Nice submerge hexes there. :D
I think it is very unlikely that TSG will be stalematish even with the improved defensive layout. The whole front is so wide that there will always be opportunities to be exploited. Imo it's still possible that it could take a slight horizontal stretching but we could see how your version turns out first.
Regarding a TOD change: Has this ever worked? I mean I know you have applied it on some maps and it always ended in nerfing the chaotic rush and giving lawfuls the upper hand after the first night afaik.

I will try to brew up some confusing statistics from the tournament performance. :lol2:
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

neki wrote:Hey there!

One suggestion for TSG - the impassable mountain next to the second southern village of P1 - make it grass, please. Once map starts filling up with units it is impossible to attack south or north, that choke point is just too... perfect. By replacing only the tile right next to the village with grass it is still almost equally hard to attack but you can at least put some skirmisher pressure there.

neki
Not a bad idea, but I really want to keep the cluster of mountains, to create the "big mountain" graphic. I would consider something like this though (moving the whole unit one hex):

Thoughts anyone?
Attachments
tsgposrev.png
tsgposrev.png (306.52 KiB) Viewed 3834 times
without your noses.
Kolbur

Post by Kolbur »

To me it seems like P1 chaotics could overrun this every single time, possibly at dusk even with adepts...
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

Kolbur wrote:To me it seems like P1 chaotics could overrun this every single time, possibly at dusk even with adepts...
Well an option would be to do this, and bump TOD. I don't know- the situation described by neki doesn't strike me as a common problem, but I figured I'd put this idea out there.
without your noses.