Wesnoth II - Wesnoth 3D.

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

dipseydoodle

Re: Wesnoth II - Wesnoth 3D.

Post by dipseydoodle »

Ok. I can't find a program I happy with yet so images will be delayed.

EDIT:

@Gambit

I'm ready to start the project, let me know if you think it's ok and I'll find some helpers.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Eh? It's not my job to approve anything. I just do the forum. Go ahead and do whatever it is you do.
You need to do a GNA task, and if it involves code you need a test case. See the stickies.
Christheturtle

Post by Christheturtle »

I have a terrible feeling that this topic is close to either getting locked, or getting shunned and losing all attention. I think what you really need to do is make some samples of 3D Wesnoth models and post screenshots of them on here so people can see.

Otherwise people will see it as just another "3D Wesnoth" failure. ;)
www.turtlenetworking.co.uk - 25% completed. Adding more servers. Looking for volunteers.
Valkier
Art Contributor

Post by Valkier »

Well, I do have training in 3D studio Max with modeling and animation. The problem here is that this would be a LOT of work. Unless I miss my guess, this would require more units than a game like Warcraft III contains.

If you want to get this off the ground and have people make work for this, you need to set a poly limit and map size for each unit. Otherwise you run the risk of massive slowdowns in game, and more mismatch than the ML campaign portraits.

This does have my interest though. Maybe I'll give it a shot later...
Win if you can. Lose if you must. But always cheat.
Christheturtle

Post by Christheturtle »

Well I'll speak on behalf of doodle as I'm also involved in this project. :) We understand the amount of effort this would require, I don't think that we'd include the same amount of unit that are in Wesnoth and we'd have to like you said make changes to the map system. It's a big job, and it's going to take a big team... But if it got off the ground, it could be very popular. And once it's off the ground, I'm sure coding and artwork enthusiasts would be happy to help with something as big.
www.turtlenetworking.co.uk - 25% completed. Adding more servers. Looking for volunteers.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

So if you're doing 3D terrain, does that mean you're sticking with rendering to pngs or you'll find a way to display models in game?
dipseydoodle

Post by dipseydoodle »

Ok. A example will soon be up. I will show you how lua or code may be used to turn the 2D pngs into 3D pngs(that are fully rotatable). The lua code uses broken up pieces of art to determine how it will look, I will use examples from silvertree, and possibly oolite.

EDIT: Sorry, I mean jpegs, the images. More examples later.
Attachments
This code wraps this around an 3D shape.
This code wraps this around an 3D shape.
talin-body.jpg (6.03 KiB) Viewed 3469 times
The code wraps this around an 3D shape. The face gets placed around a the tan part of the above image.
The code wraps this around an 3D shape. The face gets placed around a the tan part of the above image.
talin-face.jpg (8.49 KiB) Viewed 3469 times
eyerouge

Post by eyerouge »

dipseydoodle wrote:Ok. A example will soon be up. I will show you how lua or code may be used to turn the 2D pngs into 3D pngs(that are fully rotatable). The lua code uses broken up pieces of art to determine how it will look, I will use examples from silvertree, and possibly oolite.

EDIT: Sorry, I mean jpegs, the images. More examples later.
Would you mind clarifying a couple of things:

1. I'm not a 3d-artist myself, but why would you want to do the above at all? What use would it be if the game used a real 3d-engine?

2. And what's a rotatable png/jpg? (I never heard of any rotatable raster graphics before, and think I'm not alone on that, unless you actually just rotate the whole picture in which case all raster graphics is rotatable.)

When modeling a unit in say Maya or 3dS you would also need to deal with texture mapping anyway. There is no omitting of or short cut in that process - it pretty much has to be done in that environment and not by script since I imagine scripting the mapping process correctly would take at least three times as long as doing it yourself inside the 3d-program that the artist uses.

Then again, what I just wrote is probably only valid for real 3d models: If you just want to create a game using raster graphics but that looks "more 3d" somehow, then I guess there's little need of texture mapping ;)
dipseydoodle

Post by dipseydoodle »

Try oolite to see how this kind art would look in a 3D fps. You can do the same in a strategy game, and it actually looks pretty good. Just look in the source code and you'll see the png images that they turn into 3D.
dipseydoodle

Post by dipseydoodle »

Well, shall I start a page on Wikipedia.org? Just as a notice, Maybe someone can link the wesnoth topic to the new one when it's up.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

dipseydoodle wrote:Well, shall I start a page on Wikipedia.org? Just as a notice, Maybe someone can link the wesnoth topic to the new one when it's up.
No, don't be [censored]. It'll be immediately deleted for notability - because it's describing a game that doesn't exist.

The first thing you do is create the game.

If you can't create the game, learn how. If you can't make a game on your own, then stop making inane suggestions, and start learning how. OSS is not about other people implementing your ideas. OSS is about the freedom for us to implement our own ideas. You can share in that freedom, but we don't have any time for people with ideas but no execution.
But if it got off the ground, it could be very popular. And once it's off the ground, I'm sure coding and artwork enthusiasts would be happy to help with something as big.
Magical OSS pixie dust.

You don't make a videogame by rallying support on some forum thread. You make a videogame by actually making a videogame. By actually drawing and coding.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Max

Post by Max »

don't forget ui stuff like selecting units, choosing targets (wesnoth even supports drag&drop here), showings paths, ... redoing that in 3d is a major task as well.
axyd

Post by axyd »

Maybe it's possible to adopt existing open source 3D strategy games for this purpose? Like Glest http://glest.org or Spring RTS http://springrts.com ?
dipseydoodle

Post by dipseydoodle »

Sorry but IMO that would make me feel like I'm playing a cheap mod or TC.
luojie-zero

Post by luojie-zero »

There are online game art repository like http://opengameart.org/ can use, however, I don't think there are enough motivations to do so.