Conquest 2.0 - on 1.8 server

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Mabuse

Re: Conquest 2.0 - on 1.8 server

Post by Mabuse »

if you put a unit on a city you can right click on it and reinforce it - this will restore all HP.
(similar to recruiting a new unit- with the exception that it is slightly cheaper)

depending on how much damage percent the unit has taken the same percentage of XP will be removed. for example a 80% damaged unit wil lose 80% of its XP when being reinforced.

remaining XP will give for each full 16 XP points +5 HP and +1 damage
(the idea is here that the ranks of the damaged unit are filled with fresh, unexpierienced soldiers, but the remaining veterans may still have an impact and raise the overall combatvalue)
The best bet is your own, good Taste.
SlowThinker

removed

Post by SlowThinker »

reserve, it will be used soon
Last edited by SlowThinker on February 7th, 2014, 7:09 pm, edited 28 times in total.
I work on Conquest Minus • I use DFoolWide, Retro Terrain Package and the add-on 'High Contrast Water'
I moved to Nosebane's corner (Doc Paterson's signature); I am spending my time there, so PM me if I don't answer your post in forums
SlowThinker

Re: reinforcement

Post by SlowThinker »

Mabuse wrote:additionally it makes a ton more sense to care about wounded units instead of simply using them until they are fully depleted.
I have no problem with the full-healing option. It is the reinforcement I have problem with.

I should stress I like your usage of XP more than the Wesnoth's built-in XP system. Yours is more natural.
What I dislike is the micromanagement, which should be minimized in Conquest IMHO.
Mabuse wrote:the amount of micromanagement is exactly the same, instead of recruiting a new unit, you can heal a wounded unit
In fact this is not so clear:
1) The reinforcement affects also the gameplay: a player must think how to get the needed XP, which unit should be suicided in order to raise a chance to survive for a unit whose XP must be raised, whether to heal so that more XP is saved b4 the reinforce. Also you get new types of units with different attacks - so you must distingush between a 22-6 and 23-6 unit.
2) The reinforce itself is more complicated than a recruit. For a recruit you have a small amount of pre-defined units. In opposite each reinforce is different with some math that must be done before you can try to evaluate whether the reinforce pays off or not.

And even if the amount of micromanagement with reinforces were exactly the same as with recruiting, it would be an additional micromanagement, so you would get twice micromanagement than before, and for a game element that is unnecessary.

The original Conquest simplified the gameplay, so that people dont have to take care about XP, damage type, daytime effect etc. But then you re-introduce XP: that goes against the original philosophy of Conquest.

Conquest is interesting because it allows people to concentrace more on strategy (where to invest money, where to press/expand, whether to go for gold bonus or for a strategically important territory...), while tactics and micromanagement becomes less important.
I work on Conquest Minus • I use DFoolWide, Retro Terrain Package and the add-on 'High Contrast Water'
I moved to Nosebane's corner (Doc Paterson's signature); I am spending my time there, so PM me if I don't answer your post in forums
SlowThinker

Post by SlowThinker »

Minor changes in conquest_middle_earth_1vs1.zip (2 posts above): version 1.07
2008/08/11: version 1.08
2008/08/15: version 1.09
Last edited by SlowThinker on August 15th, 2010, 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
wtf_is_this

Post by wtf_is_this »

slowthinker,i must admit that your map is pwnsome for 1vs1-and 6 players is still fun.However i prefer 1vs1.

As while as i played the map with some players i like it much greater.But i am a noob and i dont know how to install the files:(.can u explain to a noob at Computers how to nstal it?Ok firstly i click the file and save it.Afterwards where to save and do i need instal something else?
i am just not from the new generation and dont understand much form tecnology :lol2:
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

Download it from the add-on server, click on the Add-ons button in the main screen, view list, search for 'Conquest', download, and you're done!
SlowThinker

Post by SlowThinker »

wtf_is_this, most work was done by miati.
wtf_is_this wrote:i dont know how to install the files:(.can u explain to a noob at Computers how to nstal it?Ok firstly i click the file and save it.Afterwards where to save and do i need instal something else?
1)
Close Wesnoth

2)
Files are packed to the .zip format. You must unpack them (if you are using Windows then you can use 7-zip for example).
After this procedure you have two files:
conquest_middle_earth_1vs1.cfg
middle-earth_1vs1.map

3)
You must copy these two files to these locations:
conquest_middle_earth_1vs1.cfg to
Wesnoth1.8\data\add-ons\Conquest\scenarios\
middle-earth_1vs1.map to
Wesnoth1.8\data\add-ons\Conquest\maps\
Where is the "Wesnoth1.8" folder located? Read this

4)
Restart Wesnoth, the map should be visible in the list

SlowThinker

capitol mode with 2 more AI unit types

Post by SlowThinker »

I thought the capitol mode depended too much on the AI placement - many AI militia around a starting position of one player induced a decided game.
So I changed the Conquests' file utils.cfg so that also dwarvish militia and dwarvish infantry are the AI village defenders. So AI defenders may be 1,2,3,4 or 5g units now (a 20% chance each).

utils.cfg is attached
If you use this file all Conquest games (in capitol mode) hosted by you will be affected.
Attachments
utils.zip
unpack and copy to Wesnoth1.8\data\add-ons\Conquest\utils\
(8.23 KiB) Downloaded 349 times
wtf_is_this

Post by wtf_is_this »

thanks slowthinker,and i finaly made it,i even aded the new orange units:P:P:P
SlowThinker

an easily editable .cfg file

Post by SlowThinker »

I have heard my "1 vs 1" map is used for 6-player games. But map bonuses are optimized for a 2-p game: central areas got less gold than peripheral ones. A 6-p game needs rather an opposite bonus adjustment.

The problem is if you want to change the bonuses then you must edit the .cfg file, and it is laborious: the information that should be changed is spread over the file and doubled.
Therefore I changed the conquest_middle_earth_1vs1.cfg file. Now all data for editing (regions with bonuses, villages with coordinates) are placed ín the beginning of the file

conquest_middle_earth_1vs1.cfg is attached several posts above, version 1.10.

Notes:
conquest_middle_earth_1vs1.cfg may be used as a template for any Conquest map
only the game host needs to change his .cfg file.
wtf_is_this

Post by wtf_is_this »

I Havent heard for playing by 6 players.Amangon i Sverak Condor and many others play 1v1 or 2v2 and imust say they are very balanced.There is only one bad spawn(rohan-gondor-dunland)but if u have luck with Ai it isnt that bad
SlowThinker

Post by SlowThinker »

I tried to repair the buggy version 1.10, but it seems the problem is not only in the file, since also Wesnoth behaves strange way: during my testing 1.10 worked well sometimes, sometimes it didn't. It will need more time to get it work, and I won't be able to do it next month.
So I sent a new version (1.12) in the old format.
Lich_Lord

Post by Lich_Lord »

So I recently made a mini conquest map called Conquest Xanthor, and am attempting to post it here, so that anybody can play it. If people aren't able to download this, then I'll see if I can add the file another way.
Since this map is so small, it is ideal for 1v1 or 2v2, and standard has been found to be slightly more balanced than capitol mode just because of the advantage of player 1 getting to move first in capital, though that can even out some if its 2v2 capital. I don't recommend playing this map for FFA, because victory becomes too dependent on where you started then what strategies you used.
Attachments
xanthor.map
(18.94 KiB) Downloaded 310 times
xanthor.cfg
(5.09 KiB) Downloaded 332 times
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

people, i stil have a *pbl file for the conquest upload

i still looking for a maintainer
because atm i cant afford any time for conquest

be sure that i would pimp that middleearth map to a jewel though

but until then, it would be cool for me to hand the pbl to slowthinker or lich lord
( i still have a copy of it)

so if you want to add maps to the pack, just ask me and you can get the pbl.
just dont forget to raise the version numbr in the pbl file.
The best bet is your own, good Taste.
SlowThinker

Post by SlowThinker »

I thought the middle earth couldn't be added because of possible copyright issues?