Conquest 2.0 - on 1.8 server

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

SlowThinker

Re: Conquest 2.0 - on 1.8 server

Post by SlowThinker »

Gwledig wrote:I'm not really in favour of disabling player 1 until turn 2, just sounds too freaky
I didn't want to say you should disable red, but that orange was in equal position like the disabled red in my theoretical example.

Edit:
Conquest- 3.0 has been released, and it has its own thread: Conquest Minus
(Also on page 9 of this thread the lotr map has been adjusted for C- 3.0)
I work on Conquest Minus • I use DFoolWide, Retro Terrain Package and the add-on 'High Contrast Water'
I moved to Nosebane's corner (Doc Paterson's signature); I am spending my time there, so PM me if I don't answer your post in forums
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

SlowThinker wrote::P You misunderstood what I was speaking about.
In the "passage" situation you need to disband your winning unit after you kill the 1st blocker, so that you can kill also the 2nd one.
ahaha - nice.
i really havent thought about that possibility.

well, to "fix" that problem you should probably only be able disband units which have their attack left.

also, right now disband isnt implemented yet.
The best bet is your own, good Taste.
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

future updates will include code optimizations (faster ai unit placement)
screen update after are villages were allocated wil get included
(so players will see their villages on first turn immediatly)

disband-option will get included and activated if any upkeep options are selected

apart from that new maps may get added, as well as a slection of new units
(dark elves, chaos, new undead and monster units)

also new terrains may get added and included in the new maps

in any case i plan to expand conquest somewhat :)
The best bet is your own, good Taste.
SlowThinker

Post by SlowThinker »

in [url=http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?p=475340#p475340]Conquest Minus[/url] Mabuse wrote:also i want to point out that i dont want to see any new maps that are made/modified by me in the future (the old maps canbe used) being included in the minus clone.
Your request goes against the philosophy of the GNU license.
Similarly I don't ask you not to include the ideas below, just because they were introduced in Conquest Minus:
Mabuse wrote:future updates will include code optimizations (faster ai unit placement)
screen update after are villages were allocated wil get included
(so players will see their villages on first turn immediatly)
I believe the idea of the GNU license (= to freely share any stuff) is very beneficial, and in Conquest Minus I want to use any good stuff you create in the future.
I work on Conquest Minus • I use DFoolWide, Retro Terrain Package and the add-on 'High Contrast Water'
I moved to Nosebane's corner (Doc Paterson's signature); I am spending my time there, so PM me if I don't answer your post in forums
Gwledig

Post by Gwledig »

The license is a legal document,, there are even forks of Wesnoth, it's all open source afaik
Maintainer of Conquest (Original Gameplay), Conquest+, Conquest+ Space/Ranged, Chaoz Battle of the Wizards, Lazersquad (squad game), WesCraft (building MP game)
Hiebe

Post by Hiebe »

conquest clan wars continue....... :lol2:
Elrood

Post by Elrood »

Well, about licence. Addons server works on GPL licence. More, it is enforcing that licence:
Whenever you upload or update your content pack, you will have to say "OK" to this statement: "All add-ons uploaded to this server must be licensed under the terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL). By uploading content to this server, you certify that you have the right to place the content under the conditions of the GPL, and choose to do so."
That means any discussion about "allowance" and "dissallowance" of copying, and any kind of code/art/files abusing/stealing is jubberwacking, without any kind of legal base. When something is on the add-ons server basically any one can incorporate it's content into his own add-on project. As long as he plans to release it under GPL. If someone want to change a licensing schema, well, thats where problems starts to pill up.
Lich_Lord

Post by Lich_Lord »

SlowThinker wrote:
Lich_Lord [url=http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?p=467765#p467765]a couple of pages ago[/url] wrote:Ok, just finished modifying the terrain of Gagarna, Surdmark and Torath so that it can be changed in the 1.9 add-on. I didn't change villages or anything like that, just making the map look more aesthetically pleasing since some terrain looks a lot different in 1.9 than 1.8.
Can they be used with 1.8?
The changes that I made don't affect gameplay, only the map's graphics, for example I may have changed a piece of grassland (flat) to a different graphic of grassland, so it doesn't need to be imported into 1.8.
SlowThinker wrote:
Lich_Lord wrote:I also came up with a lot of names for the villages and places, so I can provide a list if anybody wants it.
Hm... couldn't you rename the lotr map?
I could...but that is sort of Mabuse's project right now, but if he wants some help coming up with some names, I could give him a list.
SlowThinker

Post by SlowThinker »

Lich_Lord wrote:
SlowThinker wrote:Hm... couldn't you rename the lotr map?
I could...but that is sort of Mabuse's project right now, but if he wants some help coming up with some names, I could give him a list.
Mabuse is creating a new map. I would just like to add the classic lotr map (with new names) to the add-on server.
Lich_Lord

Post by Lich_Lord »

Ok then Slow, about how many names do you need, roughly 70?
SlowThinker

Post by SlowThinker »

Lich, my idea was you would simply replace the city and region names directly in the 1.19 version.
Concerning the map name, I wanted to pick something myself, I thought about Middle-Dump so that it was similar to the original name... but I would welcome any better idea.

BTW, how is your new giant map?
Lich_Lord

Post by Lich_Lord »

SlowThinker wrote:BTW, how is your new giant map?
I've finally found the time to polish it up a little, I think I'll code the bonuses and names by the end of the week. Just to make sure though, you're not planning on making any major changes to the new coding system that you've made, right? So if I use it, what I code will transfer into whatever future changes you make.
Lich_Lord

Post by Lich_Lord »

Slow, a question. If I code the last 1/5 of my giant map using your format, is there any way the giant map would work? The other 4/5 of the map is coded using the old conquest code.
SlowThinker

Post by SlowThinker »

Lich_Lord wrote:Just to make sure though, you're not planning on making any major changes to the new coding system that you've made, right? So if I use it, what I code will transfer into whatever future changes you make.
I plan major changes, but the part with the village and region definitions won't change, and so scenarios will be easily transferable.

The scenario format ver 2.0 (as published with the lotr map 1.17) works with the original Conquest, and I believe all other Conquests, except Conquest Minus 3.0 and above.
Conquest Minus requires small changes that are described in the Conquest Minus thread (search for a text 'for map creators' there).
Slow, a question. If I code the last 1/5 of my giant map using your format, is there any way the giant map would work? The other 4/5 of the map is coded using the old conquest code.
It would work even if you mixed it, except the income bonus calculation. You would have to rewrite the macro CALCULATE_INCOME_BONUS (you would have to join both macros). But I think it will be less laborious if you transfer the 4/5 of the map into the new code (you must fill the [region] tags only).

I suggest you write your map in the new format, also because soon maps in this format will support new functionalities (for example "a balanced AI placement for the capitol mode")
Last edited by SlowThinker on January 30th, 2011, 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lich_Lord

Post by Lich_Lord »

Ok then, I'll write it in your format.
I'll probably release the last 1/5 of the map very soon, but it might take me a little more time to transfer over the other 4/5 so that people will be able to play on the giant, 301 vill map.