Conquest 2.0 - on 1.8 server

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Ashe

Re: Conquest 2.0 - on 1.8 server

Post by Ashe »

i reviwed all the label but i didnt find wats wrong
my father explain me wat were(and still) the problem
someone can reviem for me?
there is the cfg
Attachments
awalafar.map
if u want to test there is the Alawafar.map
(69.82 KiB) Downloaded 290 times
conquest_awalafar.cfg
and the names are good so someone can change the name if want
(13.77 KiB) Downloaded 377 times
Last edited by Ashe on October 8th, 2010, 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lich_Lord

Post by Lich_Lord »

Conquest 2.7.2a is now on the add-ons server.

The major changes include:

-The addition of the Kalifa faction, a desert race. Note that this faction is note completely coded yet, and so can't reinforce, but all the units work. Also, every single player must have this add-on to play maps with the Kalifa faction, which are currently the conquest Thebes map and the new conquest Samrock map.

-Many more maps: I have added most of the conquest maps that have been posted in this thread, except for the lotr map, since there are multiple varitions of it and since it seems like it may be changed a lot in the future. I have also included a couple conquest maps that I've made that haven't been put on the forums: Conquest Far East and Conquest Samrock.

Conquest Far East is based on China and the surrounding area, such as Mongolia, Japan, Vietnam, ect. It is not yet fully balanced, so I don't particularly recommend it for a game, since in standard mode you must change a little bit of code in order to not have 15 villages empty at the start. For capital mode there are some spawns that are not so great either, such as Japan.

Before I go into detail about Conquest Samrock, I want to give a little overview of my current project, which is to design a fully functional, relatively well balanced 100 by 112 conquest map that will contain roughly 240 to 270 villages. The idea behind this is that the map will be divided into four separate regions, each containing roughly 60 villages. Therefore, this will create one giant conquest map, that can also be split apart into multiple smaller maps, for somebody could also combine two of the 60 village maps to make a long or wide 120 village map. This would then mean that there would be eight or nine different conquest maps of different sizes, within just one map. A advantage of this is that it provides larger maps to people who want to play big conquest games, while still making average sized maps for people who think they would never be able to live through a game that would take over a day to finish.

Now, about Conquest Samrock itself. Conquest Samrock is supposed to be the upper right corner of the giant conquest map, containing exactly 60 villages, and I believe it is pretty well balanced, except for maybe a couple issues with the Kalifa; however, one can never know until the map gets decent testing. The only major problem I have encountered so far with this map is that it has a very strange bug, which makes it so that not all of the villages are filled in standard games, and occasionally in capital games, a player will start with zero villages. I have no idea what the source of the bug may be, as I've have looked over the code multiple times and haven't found any problems with it.
Spoiler:
Lich_Lord

Post by Lich_Lord »

Fixed a slight bug that caused people to not receive a bonus from Fangmar, in the Samrock map.
wtf_is_this

Post by wtf_is_this »

Finded a bug in far east map where on capitol hapened to me twice to start with 2 vilages(the 2gold bonus Kyoushu or whatever as his name).This realy stops expanding and the 2 gold starting bonus cant compensate this.
Zbyll

Post by Zbyll »

My new map Conquest Poland (ver.1.02.)
Tested a few times on multiplayer.
Any suggestions welcome.

All locations, names, spelling based on real Poland.
Download:
PolandConq.zip
Conquest Poland by Zbyll, version 1.02.
(5.11 KiB) Downloaded 310 times
Ashe

Post by Ashe »

hey someone find the bugs in awalafar??
i corrected some bugs but it still dont work
here is the half fixed one:
(it still dont work)
Attachments
conquest_awalafar.cfg
(13.87 KiB) Downloaded 378 times
Lich_Lord

Post by Lich_Lord »

wtf_is_this wrote:Finded a bug in far east map where on capitol hapened to me twice to start with 2 vilages(the 2gold bonus Kyoushu or whatever as his name).This realy stops expanding and the 2 gold starting bonus cant compensate this.

This is because I made some mistakes in designing the map, and so the villages are too spaced out. Conquest Thebes also has this problem, and I might redo that map, but I have other things that I'm working on too, so I won't redo the Far East map. However, other people can like you wtf_is_this...
Lich_Lord

Post by Lich_Lord »

I'm almost done with the south-eastern part of the giant conquest map that I'm making, which will be called Torath, all I have to do is code it. Because it has 90 villages, in order to play standard games on it people will have to use a slightly modified utils.cfg so that all 90 villages will be filled instead of only 60.

This will also work for other maps though, such as Alaskan_Avenger's new map called Gabrithia, so if anybody makes a large conquest map, they can use this, or edit the utils make it fill a specific number of villages.

NB: Its probably best to keep the normal utils.cfg where it belongs, and only replace it with the 90 village one when you are about to host a big map.
Attachments
utils-90vills.cfg
use this when you want to play a conquest map with 90 villages, such as Torath
(74.81 KiB) Downloaded 259 times
SlowThinker

Re: Bugs

Post by SlowThinker »

about 2.7.2a:

I noticed you used my utils.cfg, that contains some changes (a reef added for the AI, AI dwarves, starting gold in VILLAGES_DISTRIBUTIONS). Maybe you should publish a detailed changelog here.
SlowThinker wrote:2. Drakes can be reinforced for free if there is insufficient gold.
Is this repaired?

Shamrock:
My Wesnoth crashes when I try to recruit a Khalifa unit. (I installed manually, and I have 1.8.4 )
BTW, I suppose this happens also when 2.7.2a is not installed(?) Shouldn't there be a warning somewehere, that one must have the addon 2.7.2a installed (for example in the Ctrl-J text, or even better a WML code that would check this problem for all players in the game beginning)?

Far-East:
A problem: there is a central area, and who owns it can block the opponent's expansion (in 1 vs 1 games) (for 6p this point causes neighbours of the center must attack it in order to expand). A similar problem was with the lotr map, and so I added Ellena. The map needs an easy expansion along the map edge.
What about Philipinnes, Guinea, Pacific? Anyway I think the map needn't to be geographically correct.

It seems to me the bonuses are random :P
What I take into account when setting bonuses for capitol teams (1 vs 1, 2 vs 2):
- density (both distances of pairs of cities and the distance of 2 most distant cities: it is a difference whether there are three 7-spaced cities in a triangle or in a line)
- easy expansion to other regions
- defense (like entrances by narrow areas only)
- terrain besides the villages (affects how hard it is to attack the )

Things are a bit different for standard, but still the density argument works too.

Another point is 6p-player games need central areas have better bonuses (worse defense, more enemies), while team games (1 vs 1, 2 vs 2) need peripheries have better bonuses, but this is a problem of all maps.

the format of the .cfg files
It is painful lotr 1.10 format doesn't work, now with all these new maps. I tried to debug by deleting most of the code in .cfg and utils, and so far I have no idea where is the problem.
Maybe it is some bug of Wesnoth 1.8, could anybody try with 1.9 (slow download for me)?
I work on Conquest Minus • I use DFoolWide, Retro Terrain Package and the add-on 'High Contrast Water'
I moved to Nosebane's corner (Doc Paterson's signature); I am spending my time there, so PM me if I don't answer your post in forums
SlowThinker

OOS

Post by SlowThinker »

Did anybody encouter an Out of Sync error during a Conquest game?

I got OOS on the Conquest Wesnoth map in a game with wtf_is_this. 1st OOS was during a green turn (a militia kill between Wesnoth and Blackwater), the game was saved after another OOS during a purple turn.
I have no clue whether this is a problem of Wesnoth or Conquest, but I got a similar OOS with the Far-East map a couple of days ago.
wtf_is_this will send his save too.

Stderr.txt shows

Code: Select all

error engine: could not de-serialize unit: 'game_error: creating unit with an empty type field'
so I added it too.
Edit: Stderr.txt text is caused by the Khalifa problem (see my last post)[/quote]
Attachments
stderr.txt
(61.22 KiB) Downloaded 261 times
Conquest_Wesnoth_Turn_5_21,29.gz
(111.11 KiB) Downloaded 262 times
Last edited by SlowThinker on October 16th, 2010, 8:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I work on Conquest Minus • I use DFoolWide, Retro Terrain Package and the add-on 'High Contrast Water'
I moved to Nosebane's corner (Doc Paterson's signature); I am spending my time there, so PM me if I don't answer your post in forums
Berserkjaguar

Post by Berserkjaguar »

hey all

i download the 1v1 middle earth map and the poland map. i put them into the place, where it should be, but i couldn't open a game with the map, because i don't see it in my maplist in game.

can someone tell me what to do?
SlowThinker

Post by SlowThinker »

You must restart Wesnoth or F5 in the main menu (=refresh cache).
Berserkjaguar

Post by Berserkjaguar »

i did that, but its sill not working
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

You probably put them in the wrong place, then.
to be sure:
Berserkjaguar

Post by Berserkjaguar »

i can do it now,
i only had to restart my computer and not only my game :(

thx for the help ;)