Breakthrough

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

alda

Breakthrough

Post by alda »

Hi there,

Trying to create a 1vs1 game that is non-standard, with no AI involved, playable with Default era, and of course fun to play, I came into this. The first idea here was that to make it so that killing your opponent's units was not your main goal. So any unit killed will regenerate. Then I had to find a win condition other than killing your oppenent's leader. I came with the simplest I could find : you just have to move a unit to your opponent's castle.

So here are the basics. I just have a few remarks :

- The game as it is is not balanced. I just tried to make the map so that there is no huge advantage for first players or some factions, but it is not definite and I intend to continue to improve it. The only thing I've avoided to modify for the moment is the units, as I want to keep it a Default era game, though I could change my mind if I think balance is too flawed (my main concern is the factions with lvl 1 skirmisher units, loyalists and drakes, which are quite powerful).

- The game is intended to be played on Default era, though it could be played on other eras. But with other eras, the balance issues are multiplied by 1000, so I don't guarantee such a thing as a balance, and won't do modifications to balance non-default eras.

- One thing that I realized after few games is that this game counts heavily on luck, more than a standard game, so I advise to those that dislike the influence of luck in Wesnoth not to play this game :). However, I'm convinced that, let aside the luck factor, there is still some place for deep strategy in this game.

You can download Breakthrough on the 1.6 and 1.7 server (the only difference between the 2 versions are the castle tiles, since I made the game in 1.7 and I like the new castle tiles here :)). I hope you'll have fun playing it, and if anyone wants to give feedback here about balance issues or the strategies he uses, he's welcome !
alda

Re: Breakthrough

Post by alda »

v 0.2.0 is out. (last version should have been 0.1.0)

Games could be very short, which I originally thought was an advantage, but eventually I think it made them less funny. So I opted for a system of points, where you score a point when you reach your opponent's edge, with a turn limit of 20 turns. Actually, the game kind of works like Wesball now (a nice add-on :))

Some modifications were added to the map too.