Tiny Maps

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Zigg

Tiny Maps

Post by Zigg »

I have made a few MP maps. They are all 10x10 and most are all from the same base.

[
Spoiler:
Attachments
A water version. Drakes are too powerful here. Any suggestions?
A water version. Drakes are too powerful here. Any suggestions?
Last edited by Zigg on January 17th, 2010, 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zigg

Zigg's Maps

Post by Zigg »

i also have a set of long maps.
Attachments
A Map designed for swarms of fighters fighting 1 on 1, this map is thin and full of villages.
A Map designed for swarms of fighters fighting 1 on 1, this map is thin and full of villages.
A long Map designed for Elves v Dwarves. Players 3 and 4 are intended to be in a fierce territory war.
A long Map designed for Elves v Dwarves. Players 3 and 4 are intended to be in a fierce territory war.
Caphriel

Re: Tiny Maps

Post by Caphriel »

I assume balance isn't really one of your design goals?
mnewton1

Post by mnewton1 »

Anyway, player two can't recruit on War City.
Creator of Ageless Era
Check out Frogatto & Friends, it's made by the same people who created The Battle for Wesnoth!
Zigg

Post by Zigg »

@ Caphriel - The big ones are for fun or campaigns, the small ones are meant to be balanced.
@ mnewton1 - Oops!
Caphriel

Post by Caphriel »

Small maps are by nature unbalanced. Maps with dominant terrain types are by nature unbalanced.

The water one probably overpowers the factions with water units, and underpowers the drakes. The drakes suck over water, and in general none of these maps are big enough for them to run away.

The cave one has no forests and will be harder for the elves. Factions with effective flying units will have an advantage. Lots of mushroom groves will give the undead a slight edge.

Some factions do a lot better on snow than others do. Check the unit stats.

The base one is closest to alright, but still not great. Advantage to fliers.

I'd say except for the water map, the Knalgans will probably do pretty well on these. They're so small that dwarves will be able to get around, the gryphon can add an extra attacker to hexes against the central river, and there's always lots of terrain for them.

I'm not even going to discuss first turn advantage on these maps. Just count hexes and figure out how village stealing will go.
Zigg

Post by Zigg »

How do you nerf flyers?
Caphriel

Post by Caphriel »

Don't make important central terrain elements out of terrain most units can't go into. And if you want fish in a river, you have to have some way for them to get there from a castle.
Erlend

Post by Erlend »

I got some small maps too..
Attachments
This map seems very unbalanced,but I've tried it sometimes and it is actually  quite balanced :O
This map seems very unbalanced,but I've tried it sometimes and it is actually quite balanced :O
Belbog

Post by Belbog »

Hi, interesting maps! I must say I kindda specialize on tiny maps, so if you like them, have a look on my add-on called Tiny Maps.
(Here is its forum thread: http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... =tiny+maps)
Caphriel

Post by Caphriel »

This thread was 9 months old before you bumped it :augh: