Village number

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

CountPenguin

Village number

Post by CountPenguin »

I'm working on a map, and I was wondering, what is good number of villages have? It's 2v2 and 44x32 (though some of the outside is impassable mountains)

Thanks!
CountPenguin

Currently working on Siege of Soradoc. Except not anymore, but you can take over if you want!
Caphriel

Re: Village number

Post by Caphriel »

That's an awfully large map. I think you're probably looking at something like 10-15 villages per player, probably, just based on scaling from looking at the other maps.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I don't think so.

My map which was included in the development version was slightly larger and had 9 villages per player. It seems to fill up the map just the right amount. Of course the number of villages depends on the number of units needed which depends on the shape of the map so adapt as required but I would try 7-10 per player.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Caphriel

Post by Caphriel »

I bow Velensk's superior experience :) I was basing my estimate on the two 36x36 4-player maps in mainline, but those are free for all maps, I think, so they probably require more villages per player?
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

What it basically amounts to is how many units each player needs to field to make the map play properly. Generally in a FFA you have to field enough units to hold a front against two enemies at least and possibly multiple fronts per enemy whereas in a 2vs2 you usually only have to focus on a single foe at a time or both foes in the same place.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Caphriel

Post by Caphriel »

Yeah, I realized that after your reply, but when I was checking the village counts of 4p maps over breakfast, I didn't think about it :oops: