Midland Pack (tribute to J.R.R.)

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Belbog

Midland Pack (tribute to J.R.R.)

Post by Belbog »

I have just published a two maps MP pack called the Midland. The first map is quite big and it is created for 8 players!; the second one is simply a smaller part of the big one, and it is for 2 players. Because of the huge size of the main map I have decided to use Blueblaze's mode of recruiting units (the Empires) which is really perfect for this purpose (you can recruit new unit in any unocuppied village you have; and each type of village means different units to recruit).
But the main idea of those maps is different - you really cannot miss it; these maps are somehow familiar to everyone who likes fantasy; it is what I wanted to do - a tribute to the first man of fantasy literature. But because of copyrights, and the GNU license required to publish the add-ons (I understand, of course) I cannot use the original names. However, if you would like to play this map in the "FULL VERSION" (with names of individual cities, mountains, rivers etc. visible on the map), write me an email (jan.zlabek@spoluzaci.cz) - but it is meant for private use only and as a tribute. Have a nice play!
Last edited by Belbog on September 19th, 2009, 10:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
Yoyobuae

Re: Midland Pack (tribute to J.R.R.)

Post by Yoyobuae »

I think that if there is copyrighted stuff on the map, you should not even post any link to it on this forums either.
thespaceinvader wrote:Yes, it is a problem. We do not permit the development or distribution of work based on copyrighted material on our servers or forums. This is for our legal protection, I'm sure that you can understand that
Link = distribution. So maybe you want to remove the direct link.
MCP

Post by MCP »

If tolkien is the first man, who is getting married?
Belbog

Post by Belbog »

Yoyobuae wrote:I think that if there is copyrighted stuff on the map, you should not even post any link to it on this forums either.
thespaceinvader wrote:Yes, it is a problem. We do not permit the development or distribution of work based on copyrighted material on our servers or forums. This is for our legal protection, I'm sure that you can understand that
Link = distribution. So maybe you want to remove the direct link.
Well, ok - who wants the Middle-earth version, write me an email (jan.zlabek@spoluzaci.cz).
Belbog

Post by Belbog »

Update! (1.1) - I have added a map designed for classical Wesnoth style of playing. Enjoy it!
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

A few things bothered me about the classic map

The biggest thing was that it seemed exceedingly strange that none of the shadow forces were orcs.

It bothered me somewhat that Laketown is a faction of its own when there are a fair number of factions of larger significance out there. Also it would be nice if you could have arranged it for a greater verity of factions. (for example, I know that the iron hill dwarves don't show up in the books but it would be nice to have them there for a player who wishes to play Knalgans)

It feels strange to me that you set Mordor to be a cave. IIRC most of Mordor was actually very fertile farmland (especially near the back near the ash mountains) and I'd personally prefer if the impassable mountains were represented by impassable mountains. I also feel that it would play better because if it ever becomes important that some other faction move through Mordor they would not suffer Cave movement penalties.

Might be a good idea to not lock a map with that many players down to two teams but rather give each player a team and then let the user decide how he wants to team them up.

There are a few other things, but if I wanted those I would be better off just making my own map.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Belbog

Post by Belbog »

Velensk: Well, I must say the classic map is some kind of by-product of my main effort, the Empires mode map. However, you are right about the ors - I am gonna change Sauron's and Saruman's side to orcs - but I do not think I am gonna create of modify the factions ('cause I have other ideas). About the sides - it is true the Lakeland people were not really important, and the Wich-king of Angmar "lived" in another age, but I had to think about the positions of individual side to make the game at least a bit balanced. The same applies to the impossibility of choosing your side - however, the original story has almost no sides which you could call "neutral", it is quite "black and white".
About the map I must say there was quite a lot of "white places" but I tried to search for as much leads as possible - the most uncertain thing was to determine where the snow and desert started. But in the case of Mordor I had quite a lot of information - I was using the Middle-earth Atlas by Karen Wynn Fonstad in which is written that Mordor would have been fertile if the water in the sea of Nurn was not salt(!) Plus you might refer to the movies and illustrations; and the neverending debate about "how the orcs could live without having fields (and working on them - the idea of an orc plowman seems a bit strange)". Therefore I have chosen the cave terrain.

The other ideas I have mentioned concern the Empires mode; and it is mainly use the possibility that each side could have different recruiting menu in the same city! That means Undead could recruit zombies where Loyalists can recruit (only) humans (but the Undead will not have the possibility of recruiting White mages and so on). The only thing I am not sure is whether I will use the Midland maps for this purpose. We will see...