RPG Creation Kit

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

shadowblack

Re: RPG Creation Kit (version 0.1 is complete!)

Post by shadowblack »

So, how do I use the RPG Creation Kit after downloading it from the add-on server? What do I need to do?
You are a Dark Adept: You immerse yourself in the dark arts... potentially with great rewards...
Luther

Post by Luther »

The Kit is a set of resources for UMC developers. You basically need to look through all the files you get with the download and see if there's anything you can use.
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Nice one, Luther!

If there are any fixes or tweaks needed for the units, let me know. Many of the costs of those units may be way off, as I didn't really intend them to belong to balanced factions.

Do you check if it work as a dependency? How do you make that happen?
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

shadowblack wrote:So, how do I use the RPG Creation Kit after downloading it from the add-on server? What do I need to do?
You can use the test scenario included in the download as a template to create your own scenario. Then you can look through the macro index and bestiary to build and populate it!
My current projects:
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

It looks like this add-on always gets loaded if the player has downloaded it because there are no conditions (such as #ifdef or #define) enclosing the stuff in RPG_Creation_Kit.cfg. This can cause problems with other add-ons. You should probably do something like

Code: Select all

#define RPG_CREATION_KIT
[binary_path]
	path=data/add-ons/RPG_Creation_Kit
[/binary_path]
[/units]
#enddef
Then call that macro in whatever add-on you wish to use this with.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Feufochmar

Post by Feufochmar »

I've installed RPG Creation Kit and Archaic Era and there seems to be a problem when the two addons are installed together. While I'm playing the Trinity Campaign, the Ram (Kthon unit) I can recruit is not from Archaic Era but from RPG Creation Kit. This is a problem since the RPG Creation Kit Ram is not the same as the Archaic Era one.
Luther

Post by Luther »

Bob_The_Mighty wrote: If there are any fixes or tweaks needed for the units, let me know. Many of the costs of those units may be way off, as I didn't really intend them to belong to balanced factions.
I did see a few issues:
Sorcerer Warrior has no cost, meaning its cost is 1.
The Ram's 'defend only' weapon special doesn't seem to work.
The Razorbird is immobile and has defense 0%. I guess it doesn't have a movetype.
Bob_The_Mighty wrote: Do you check if it work as a dependency? How do you make that happen?
I have the following line in my .pbl file:

Code: Select all

dependencies=RPG_Creation_Kit,Era_of_Myths
If the user tries to download TCG Era and doesn't have the dependencies, Wesnoth will tell them what dependencies they need, and the download will fail.

As for making it work, I just added the unit type ids to my list, and they got pulled in automatically. Same thing with Era of Myths. The list is in TCG/TCG.lua.

Hope this helps...
shadowblack

Post by shadowblack »

There are bugs in the RPG Creation Kit that cause our-of-sync errors when some players have it and some don't. So I had to remove it.

The problems seem to be related to the level 0 units, such as Walking Bones and Goblin Slave. I can provide screenshots, if you want.
You are a Dark Adept: You immerse yourself in the dark arts... potentially with great rewards...
Bob_The_Mighty

Re: RPG Creation Kit

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

I've just uploaded a new version of the kit:
RPG Creation Kit 0.2.1

- Added two new novelty units: Gate and Magic Gate (these are static obstacles with no attacks)
- Created new macro for a two-way rune teleporter, with effects
- Created a simple signpost macro (with a signpost 'portrait')
- Prevented ai units from triggering scenery and item events
- Tweaked and fixed some unit stats
- A few minor bug fixes
- Added more features to the test map
- Simplified a few macro names
- Cleaned up Tavern presentation, as suggested by Pentarctagon
- Made 'immobile units' and 'castle guards' ai_special=guardian, as suggested by Mabuse
- Added a few portraits from mainline campaigns and WTactics
- Added all the story and some of the map images from mainline campaigns
- Added a series of portraits of items: signpost, journal, backpack, books, axe (some from WTactics, some from elsewhere)
- Added more projectile images, and tons of halo images
- Added 30 of Kaldred's statue images
- Fixed the bug which caused problems with the Orcish Shaman
- Restricted the add-on to not be available outside MP (although I could change this if people want to use the kit for SP campaigns)
- Renamed the Necromancer/Sorcerer Warrior to Necromancer/Sorcerer Swordsman
- Fixed movetypes for Razorbird and Giant Crow
I hope this sorts out most of the problems.
My current projects:
Bloodrun

Post by Bloodrun »

Is there a way to use the unit in single player mode? The last update made this multiplayer only. I was actually having some fun with some these units.

TIA
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

Well... You can make a campaign out of this. No guarantee that the author will do it himself though. Best chance would be that you make it yourself.
Luther

Post by Luther »

Found a bug: Outcast and Outcast Lady both advance into the Wesfolk line. This causes the scenario to crash when they try to advance, since those units are only available in tRoW.
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Shadowblack said:
I'm sorry to report that the RPG Creation Kit still causes Out-of-sync errors when playing the scenario Into the Underworld while using Bob's RPG Era. I had the Kit installed and I was seeing huanti leaves on different locations compared to those without the Kit. They also saw different opponents (someone mentioned a skeleton, but I saw no such).
That's odd, the rpg creation kit shouldn't have any affect on the placement of huanti leaves - that stuff is all dealt with in the rpg era. One possible reason might be if the host was using an old version of ITU (the items used to be set in the scenario file rather than the era). Was everyone using the latest versions of all the add-ons?

As for OOS generated by conflicting units, that is an ongoing problem since many eras (like ageless for example) have so many units that lots of them are duplicated, sometimes with minor changes. I noticed in your screenshot that you had a ton of add-ons installed. Of course it's not your fault, but I think you are likely to get conflicts with so much custom stuff downloaded. If you know which units cause these errors I will change them.

Having said that, the randomly generated enemies in ITU used to cause OOS - some would see goblins when others would see ruffians, for instance. I thought I had fixed that. Do you remember what you saw when the others saw skeletons?

Basically, If none of the above is the problem then I'm not sure what would cause it...
Last edited by Bob_The_Mighty on December 6th, 2010, 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My current projects:
shadowblack

Post by shadowblack »

Not sure about the versions used, but both sylith and I were seeing things different from what phantommm (the host) was seeing - and we both had the RPG Creation Kit installed. When I removed it I started seeing the same things as phantommm. Sylith still had it and was seeing different things.

By the way, I'm not shadowmaster :)
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Did Sylith rejoin the game at all? The fact that you left and rejoined might have meant that you synched with what the host saw. That trick often works. It is possible that the fault is in the scenario, not the rpg kit.
My current projects: