Conquest 1.0 - Now on the 1.6 Add-on Server

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

alda

Re: Conquest 1.0 - Now on the 1.6 Add-on Server

Post by alda »

I don't really understand your problem. Which Jel'wan file is it ? (mine or ViK's one) ?

From what I understand, it's just that your computer doesn't find the program to open with, so you just have to open it with whatever software you use to extract files, or download WinRar (which works for both files here). Is this the problem ?
ViK

Post by ViK »

There seems to be a problem with island map when all the slots are not filled. leave last 2 empty and host a game. It hung on us about 3 times now. I think everytime all all slots are filled.
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

this error occurs when you set up a game and the number of VILLAGES isnt clearly divideable by the number of players.

the normal europe map had 60 villages, and 60 is clearly divideable by 6,5,4,3 and 2.
so when CIB tested his code it always worked, no matter which number of players.

but if you set the village-varable to 61 (wesnoth map has 61 villages) then it hangs itself up.

i guess the code ws desiged to handle any number of villages, but this obviously doesnt work. i wasnt able to figure out why though, due to lack of time and wml capabilities.
so i needed to get a quick solution without spending to much time to fix this issue

so i decided to use the "normal 60. so on wesnoth map, only 60 villages are distributed.

alda has set the village variable to 66, so it wil only work with 6,3 and 2 plyers. it will hang itself up (in an endless loop) when using 5 or 4 players.

europe map wil also have these problems when you dont distribute 60 villages. for example if you decide to distribute 20 villages on 6 players it wil also hang up.

obviously nobody uses the feature to only distribute 20 villages else it woudl have been found earlier anyway.

quick solution:
--------------
in any case i recommend to use the villages variable with the value 60, this fits for all number of players

so this also means that using 50,40,30 0r 20 vilage option is obsolety since it doesnt work correctly

long term solution:
--------------------
fix the code
The best bet is your own, good Taste.
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

to fix the issue change this line

Code: Select all

{VARIABLE give_villages 66}
and set it to 60
alda

Post by alda »

Okay I didn't test the map for less than 6 players, and there is indeed a problem with the original code. But good news, I fixed the loop so that all villages can be filled even if they are not a multiple of the number of players (extra villages will be filled by the last players first).

And moreover, I profited from this incursion in the Conquest WML to do some other changes :

- fog on is now a default setting (that's what most players use anyway)

- beginning gold has been modified for more balance (in the all vils code, CIB made smthg like 6,7,8,9,10,11 for 6 players, and I prefer Mabuse's 6,8,10,12,14,16 which is more balanced imo -- I also took into accound the extra villages last players can have if there are less than 6 players)

- I changed the way bonus incomes are dealt with : now they are directly taken into account in the income bar. Note that they are recalculated only in the beginning of the player's turn. A small consequence of this change is that if one player by luck already owns a region on first turn, he won't receive the bonus with his starting gold, which is a good thing.

Now, if you like the changes, I could do them to the Wesnoth and Europe map, when Ill find the time to do it.

Here is he version with said modifications :
Attachments
conquest_jel_wan13_all_vils.rar
(8.19 KiB) Downloaded 340 times
lotusfox12

Post by lotusfox12 »

Hey mabuse,
I've played the conquest Europe map that you've edited, and not matter what I do, it does not equally distribute all of the villages between all players.(Both 1.16 and 1.1733 do this.) I've tested it 4 times now. I've played in other games where they've pretty much had everything, and all of the villages were correctly spread. I don't know if I just don't have the most recent, or if something's wrong with my copy. I'd appreciate it if you could post either the latest copy, or tell me what I need to edit in the .cfg.

Thanks,
Lotusfox12
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

hey alda, i think its great what you have done.
very nice job - feel free to make your changes also in wesnoth map
(probably wait for the next version of wesnoth map though)

@lotusfox:
"my" europe map isnt updated for "all vils". use CIB's latest europe map upload instead.

btw there may be even some ideas for further updates.

i have though about capitols. each HUMAN region with a significant gold bonus, larger than 3 or 4 for example get a a capitol. (human units are by default a bit weaker than other units, due to terrain defense or movement - so a human cavalry is inferior to an elvish cavalry for example which gets terrain boni in woods, hills and city)

these HUMAN CITYS, capitols, may get special troops, e.g. a 10 GOLD cavalry.
really heavy Cavalry which will be of course stronger than normal cavalry.

stats like:
150 HP
22 - 6 DAMAGE
10 MOVEMENT
COST: 10 Gold

this MAY be also done via CITY_UPGRADES.
Ideas (you can buy several upgrades for cities):
- upgraded city may give +1 gold to the owner.
- buy a fortification for that city and increase its terrain defense by 10% for all troops.
- new UNIT Types may be bought for cites.
- unit types which can be bought for cities may also be chosen by the player in a menu
(so player may chose a "race" and is then able to buy production"-options for certain cities)

i may load up a "capitol"_Version of wesnoth map soon
emporer_carpathia

Post by emporer_carpathia »

**************************well now that i found counquest it is all i have played the last month and would like to know how to make a counquest map. i wiould request that you make the walkthrough as simple as posible and teach me things that are just plain nessesary for a good map *************************************************
:eng:
lotusfox12

Post by lotusfox12 »

Thanks for the info mabuse. I thought yours was the latest, rofl.
Lmao

Post by Lmao »

just wanna address a few things. one the cav for shakul mountains say it costs 6 but u actually pay 7 and a lot of ppl are complaining the lobwelig bonus doesnt give anything. i cant verify lobwelig tho.
alda

Post by alda »

I fixed the problem about the drake cavalry.

As for Lobwelig region bonus, I tested it and it seems to work, maybe the version you played wasn't the last one ?

Anyway, here is the fixed version (with all villages) :
Attachments
conquest_jel_wan14_all_vils.rar
(8.19 KiB) Downloaded 306 times
alda

Post by alda »

Ok, since 1.8 is finally out, and since the creator Blueblaze hasn't been here for a long time, I'll be working on providing an add-on on the 1.8 server, containing the 3 "playable" conquest maps (Europe, Wesnoth and Jel'Wan). I'll work on the already existing versions and clean things a bit, so as to have homogeneous settings for the 3 maps.

I'm planning to provide only on "all vils" versions since I believe they are the best but everything here is still open to discussion :).
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

go for it - good idea
Alistar

Post by Alistar »

Mabuse if you can please uppdate the europe map bechouse if you enter with the old unit the game crashes
and you choud really make tath it wud be possible to disimbark enywhere

sry for the tiping

--------------------
Good luck
ViK

Post by ViK »

Alistar wrote:Mabuse if you can please uppdate the europe map bechouse if you enter with the old unit the game crashes
and you choud really make tath it wud be possible to disimbark enywhere
--------------------
Good luck
What does enter with old unit mean? also should the boats be disembarking units anywhere? I personally do not feel that should be allowed as that makes boats even more potent than they currently are.