Cycle of Factions in Default Era

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Fosprey

Re: Cycle of Factions in Default Era

Post by Fosprey »

I don't play isar. I don't understand how people can play that map, but whatever.

Rush, is attacking at the first night, using shamans to open a village, and filling it with a drake clasher. If he tries to takeback the village with the clasher, use skirmisher to infilitrate the open spots.

another change i didn't take into account is increased bowman ranged attack. With that it could be easier to regain control of the clasher village.

The problem against tenient, is that with the increase power is harder to open the village, and easier for loyals to take the clasher village back.

My experience is that it has a decent chance of success against most players. But if loy have tenient, the chances are mediocre against most playes and near to horrible against good players.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

first off, could you write out the word instead cutting off a couple of letters? second, a drake charge only really works:
a) if the TOD complies with the timing of the attack, a drake charge at night will fail everytime no matter what, and waiting through the night gives your opponent enough time to get all his/her units on good terrain.
b) your opponent is not on any good terrain, drakes only get 30% on flat, and will take horrible counter damage from most melee-based units.
c) you actually manage to kill significantly more units than you lose, because chances are that the units you lose cost more than the units your enemy is losing. especially when fighting northerners.
d) there are not a lot/any units with poisons/slows, since this will slow down your momentum quite a bit.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
alpha1

Post by alpha1 »

Fosprey wrote: Rush, is attacking at the first night, using shamans to open a village, and filling it with a drake clasher. If he tries to takeback the village with the clasher, use skirmisher to infilitrate the open spots.
well i tried your rush: drakes could take 1 village for the 1st night, but needed to retreat at day. Continuing fighting at day ended pretty bad for them (i made 3 tries). This strategy also proved to be very susceptible to luck influence: you *really* needed the statistical kills, else it didnt work at all.
Fosprey wrote: another change i didn't take into account is increased bowman ranged attack. With that it could be easier to regain control of the clasher village.
bowmen have same ranged attack as in 1.4, they melee got weakened and they cost 14g now
Attachments
2p_-_The_Freelands_Turn_7_test2.gz
(26.77 KiB) Downloaded 108 times
2p_-_The_Freelands_Turn_8_test2.gz
(28.25 KiB) Downloaded 122 times
2p_-_The_Freelands_Turn_8_test.gz
(26.47 KiB) Downloaded 116 times
If you have any wishes or suggestions concerning the TGT or just want to drop me a message, pls pm me at: alpha1_pm
I won't be able to see any messages that are sent to alpha1.
Fosprey

Post by Fosprey »

alpha1 wrote:
Fosprey wrote: Rush, is attacking at the first night, using shamans to open a village, and filling it with a drake clasher. If he tries to takeback the village with the clasher, use skirmisher to infilitrate the open spots.
well i tried your rush: drakes could take 1 village for the 1st night, but needed to retreat at day. Continuing fighting at day ended pretty bad for them (i made 3 tries). This strategy also proved to be very susceptible to luck influence: you *really* needed the statistical kills, else it didnt work at all.
Fosprey wrote: another change i didn't take into account is increased bowman ranged attack. With that it could be easier to regain control of the clasher village.
bowmen have same ranged attack as in 1.4, they melee got weakened and they cost 14g now
It would be good if we could play each other, so you can see me doing it. against you. That's the best way to prove things.

For the moment i'm watching the replays i will comment on them

Edit: First game for now:
You put your units completly on the right side, you put no pressure on the 20,15 Village at all, giving away your main advantage, mobility.
In this map in you must put pressure on both 20,15 and 27,16. Otherwise is too easy for him to step units.
I don't know why you have a fighter, instead of a clasher, at all.
Even after you captured the village, you had all your units on the right. They muyst be ready to jump middle of the map if the opportunity arise. If you don't outmanuver him, you are not taking advantage of drakes strength.
By the time you start to move your units to the middle is too late.
Once the fight started you needed to infilitrate the skirmisher. the game wasn't lost alredy anyway when the turn ended, but yeah, the rush failed.

Edit2: it seems the other files are like the first game? Well that's all i have to say really
alpha1

Post by alpha1 »

Fosprey wrote: You put your units completly on the right side, you put no pressure on the 20,15 Village at all, giving away your main advantage, mobility. In this map in you must put pressure on both 20,15 and 27,16. Otherwise is too easy for him to step units.
i have no idea how you are supposed to put pressure on both 20.15 and 27.16 at the same time with 4-5 units in the first night
Fosprey wrote: I don't know why you have a fighter, instead of a clasher, at all.
if your opponent playes random, taking at least one fighter in initial recruit makes sense for me + he was in reach of 3 villages at night, which means i had to have all those villages covered and have less units on the right side.
Fosprey wrote: Even after you captured the village, you had all your units on the right.
capturing the village alone wouldnt help much if there were no units in the near to discourage the counterattack + they were putting pressure on 30.19
Fosprey wrote: They muyst be ready to jump middle of the map if the opportunity arise. If you don't outmanuver him, you are not taking advantage of drakes strength.
im aware of that. however its not clear how to use drakish mobility in that situation.
Fosprey wrote: Once the fight started you needed to infilitrate the skirmisher.
all the villages were covered and i needed every unit near augurs to protect them from horse etc. if you mean skirm on the left side, he was there to prevent cav from blocking fighter and fencer stealing villages on drake's unprotected left side (but maybe i should have moved him into the loys territory, not sure what influence it would have had on the game)

since i will be able to play in 2 weeks or so, maybe it would be better for you to post a replay with drake rush as you imagine it.
@moderators: it seems like at this point our conversations is becomming an offtopic, maybe it should be separated from the main thread?
If you have any wishes or suggestions concerning the TGT or just want to drop me a message, pls pm me at: alpha1_pm
I won't be able to see any messages that are sent to alpha1.
Fosprey

Post by Fosprey »

i have no idea how you are supposed to put pressure on both 20.15 and 27.16 at the same time with 4-5 units in the first night
I don't know How to show this without a graphical example, maybe i should play and post a replay, i will do it.....in some moment.

if your opponent playes random, taking at least one fighter in initial recruit makes sense for me + he was in reach of 3 villages at night, which means i had to have all those villages covered and have less units on the right side.
The only unit that is actually neccesary and important against a specific matchup (undead) is drake burning. Against random opponent, this opponent is good against all, but undead. The restn of the sentence, i couldn't get.
capturing the village alone wouldnt help much if there were no units in the near to discourage the counterattack + they were putting pressure on 30.19
I think there are better ways than putting your units completly on the right

since i will be able to play in 2 weeks or so, maybe it would be better for you to post a replay with drake rush as you imagine it.

I will try to get a ladder or friendly match with drakes on that map on that situaiton, all i have to do is convince my opponent to play loyalist w/o tenient