B.U.R.S. (Bizarre and Unusual Recruit Styles)

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Rigor

Re: B.U.R.S. (Bizarre and Unusual Recruit Styles)

Post by Rigor »

because i was asked to post a successful "all poachers" strategy, and because Quetzalcoatl announced to show me his orc rush i decided there might be no better place to post the game.

i was player 2 btw.
Attachments
ALL_POACHERS_.gz
1v1 dwarves vs orcs played by Rigor vs Quetzalcoatl
(19.74 KiB) Downloaded 361 times
donkey_noob_trash1

Post by donkey_noob_trash1 »

Rigor wrote:because i was asked to post a successful "all poachers" strategy, and because Quetzalcoatl announced to show me his orc rush i decided there might be no better place to post the game.

i was player 2 btw.
An excellent replay. I am posting it to the HODOR replay archive, if you don't mind. And thanks for contributing to the thread.

~donkey
"Oh noes, I'm trapped by corporeal beings!" -Caphriel (in a discussion about ghosts and ZoC)
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

thanks, i wish more people could reply, its nice to get feedback !
Skrim

Post by Skrim »

Rigor wrote:because i was asked to post a successful "all poachers" strategy, and because Quetzalcoatl announced to show me his orc rush i decided there might be no better place to post the game.

i was player 2 btw.
This was a Poacher storm vs. a Grunt rush, not against a normal strategy. Quetz also did not change his strategy once he knew that you were Poacher-spamming, he kept spamming Grunts and kept getting shot to pieces and giving you loads of XP.

I doubt it would work against a normal strategy, especially when you don't know what you're facing. It could be countered by just about any Pierce-resistant unit, esp. Skeletons.
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

i didnt announce i would produce only poachers, and of course u r right, it wouldnt work against an undead player who knew i was going to play that way.

but it would work against an undead player, when i recruit a bunch of poachers at the first turn and then something else. wanna try ? :)

nevertheless i think recruiting one type of unit at the first turn is bizzare enough ( especially when its generally considered to be a weakling unit) to be posted in this thread.
donkey_noob_trash1

Rigor wrote:i didnt announce i would produce only poachers, and of course u r right, it wouldnt work against an undead player who knew i was going to play that way.

but it would work against an undead player, when i recruit a bunch of poachers at the first turn and then something else. wanna try ? :)

nevertheless i think recruiting one type of unit at the first turn is bizzare enough ( especially when its generally considered to be a weakling unit) to be posted in this thread.
/me agrees

/me thinks Rigor's replay is a very nice contribution to this thead
"Oh noes, I'm trapped by corporeal beings!" -Caphriel (in a discussion about ghosts and ZoC)
csarmi

Post by csarmi »

Well, the guy with the grunts just got himself slaughtered deliberately, so it seems.
donkey_noob_trash1

Skrim wrote:

i was player 2 btw.
This was a Poacher storm vs. a Grunt rush, not against a normal strategy. Quetz also did not change his strategy once he knew that you were Poacher-spamming, he kept spamming Grunts and kept getting shot to pieces and giving you loads of XP.

I doubt it would work against a normal strategy, especially when you don't know what you're facing. It could be countered by just about any Pierce-resistant unit, esp. Skeletons.
I think you miss the point of this thread... which is not so much about whether the style presented in the replay is a one-size-fits-all recruit that works under ANY circumstances. The point of this thread is that you tried out a crazy recruitment scheme and amazingly it worked. Hell, it doesn't even have to work, in my opinion. I just like to watch replays of crazy games. That's all...
~donkey
Sorrow

Post by Sorrow »

donkey_noob_trash1 wrote:Caph- maybe the RNG gods just hate *US* in general. I had 4 back to back horrific luck games the other day. Bleh :annoyed: Ummm... anyways... I have a replay! This strategy I call the "no grunt" strategy. It may be a B.U.R.S. because grunts are pretty much the backbone of the orc army. Also, I didn't recruit any trolls either. So the main melee units I was using were the warg riders and gobbos. I had some luck with the traits that my wargs had... several strong/ resilient ones. Also, I dare say my enemy's recruit was not very good. If he had built more clashers and augurs I would have been struggling, I think.

Anyways... here it is...
no_grunts.gz
What do you guys think? B.U.R.S or no?
Im going to go with no since thats the way Tonepoet has played for years and he isn't unusual.
Let us all measure in milliyards, that way we can all get along.

Replay Archive: http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/Replays
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

csarmi wrote:Well, the guy with the grunts just got himself slaughtered deliberately, so it seems.

maybe the replay looks like that, but before we started to play he said something like "no fun at all now" and i dont think that he wanted to get slaughtered in this match. he played quite seriously. maybe his orcs had a hangover after 4 of them were slain. :)

donkey, i didnt see the replay, but i think going no grunts&orcs is a quite unique strategy, even if sorrow said its not so unusual.

today im unpacking three games, im curious how the kings bounty, god of war and sim city 4 will distract me from wesnoth =)
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

hi guys, here another example of a rather unusual initial recruitment:

going ALL nagas, while the stats told me that i built 10 nagas in total on that map. sounds interesting ? it is !!!

poor smozes certainly didnt expect this Image
Attachments
2S_–_Die_Insel_der_Stachelh..._Wiederholung_anzeigen.gz
orcish Rigor on hornsharks fights drakish Smozes
(17.86 KiB) Downloaded 327 times
Sorrow

Post by Sorrow »

Heh. I was just thinking about how a heavy naga recruit would work and how neutral would affect orcies.
Let us all measure in milliyards, that way we can all get along.

Replay Archive: http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/Replays
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

hello again,

tonight im going to present you one of my most precious and finest games so far:

The Quest for Drake Mockery. Image

when u think of drakes, what might be the most horrible unit u can imagine... hmmmmmmmm?

yes
right, its this perennial woody plant hereImage that brought the downfall of 13 brave drakes and before my opponent spit "it is taking too much time, bye." and left before i could even set another date for finishing our beautiful little game.

enjoy....
Attachments
Drakes.gz
Rigor wosifikates toon310 the brave drake player
(23.31 KiB) Downloaded 374 times
donkey_noob_trash1

Rigor wrote:hi guys, here another example of a rather unusual initial recruitment:

going ALL nagas, while the stats told me that i built 10 nagas in total on that map. sounds interesting ? it is !!!

poor smozes certainly didnt expect this Image
Loved the naga idea. I'm thinking of trying it in a ladder game sometime :)
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

the fun part of the strategy is, u might have a lot fewer gold than usual, but the strategic possibilities with 2 nagas behind the enemies back...uuuh that REALLY pays off :D

to play it on hornshark against drakes i thought first >omg<, but somehow it wasnt so bad after all. they couldnt do as much at day AND night while i was getting cheap units in line after the nagas harrassed augurs for some turns :) actually i used them nagas like i use drakes. 60%,40% doesnt matter, the only counter at night are augurs so it doesnt matter where they r nyaaa :mrgreen: