Multiplayer shared abilities

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Kelben

Multiplayer shared abilities

Post by Kelben »

I noticed something on which I would like to receive confirmation.

During a multiplayer game:
- You can heal next to your ally healer.
- You can backstab thanks to an ally unit.
- You can not beneficit from the leadership bonus of an ally hero :?:

It sounds weird to me. Can someone give me some inputs?

Thx :)
-WAR- Wesnoth Allied Rebels
Radament

Re: Multiplayer shared abilities

Post by Radament »

Well that's all true.

Does it make sense? No, according to KISS you should either be able to co-use every ability or not. But I guess it's the optimal solution, since it hasn't changed in the last x versions.

11-damage skellies running around would be interesting, tho.
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

KISS has nothing to do with this.

http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesnothPhilosophy
'KISS' is a software development principle. Not a game-design principle.
Caphriel

Post by Caphriel »

Healers do in fact heal all allied units at the beginning of the healer's turn. This does let you get around the healing cap; a shaman next to a wounded allied unit on a village will heal it four points on the shaman's turn, and the unit will heal 8 (or 10) points on its turn.

Backstab requires that the unit on the other side of the target be an enemy of the target. That unit does not have to be an ally of the backstabbing unit. Most games don't have three or more teams, so I imagine this is rarely applicable. On the other hand, I imagine it's something that players may forget to watch out for unless they play a lot of free for all games.

Allied leadership has been proposed before. There are numerous other threads in which it is discussed, and the general reason for it seems to be that it'd be overpowered. Which makes sense; otherwise you'd be able to use leadership on your units on your turn, then park your leadership unit in position for your ally to use it on their turn, giving twice the benefit. Healing, for comparison is limited to the six hexes around the healer at the start of the healers turn. Leadership, in comparison, is limited to however many hexes adjacent to enemy units the leader can be concurrently adjacent to at any point during the player's turn, which is often more than six (although like healing, not all of them are used because it would involve poor unit positioning), plus whatever units are adjacent to it when the enemy attacks them. Adding the ability for your ally to get a bonus out of it, which based on turn order could occur several ways*, would make leadership potentially much more powerful, and would certainly add to the utility.

*For instance, if they are immediately after you, putting your leadership unit behind three hexes adjacent to the enemy; putting it behind their units that are likely to get attacked if you move after they do or the turn order alternates; using its presence to increase the threat of counterattack by your ally's units as well as your own...
Kelben

Post by Kelben »

Thank you for your feedback,

If I may issue few comments, to make it brief, it is for balancing purposes...

I agree leadership is already overpowered compared to a simple "good to fight" hero. Just put it like this, healing is very strong also. Of course you can move around to distribute your bonus even though you have only limited moves and then you don't want your weak hero to end up somewhere it can be reach. Actually is not always that easy to balance between the greediness of the bonus and a safe situation....
-WAR- Wesnoth Allied Rebels