Survival Fusion 2.0 - MPGotW 04/10/09

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Blueblaze

Survival Fusion 2.0 - MPGotW 04/10/09

Post by Blueblaze »

Survival Fusion 2.0
-2-4 players

Survival Fusion 2 is the sequel to the popular survival game featuring a brand new unit fusion generator. Survival Fusion 2 offers a better balanced PvP map and more depth than the previous version. Can you survive through all the levels and defeat your opponents to become the champion?

You can fuse two units together by placing them on the beacons.
The unit on beacon 2 will fuse into the unit on beacon 1.
Be careful to do this exactly, and not to place any unit on the fusion hex, otherwise the fusion will error.
Waves of monsters come at the start of the turn labeled, and will attack on that turn as soon as they spawn.

This map is now on the1.6.x add-on server. Please share any comments!
Attachments
survivalfusion.png
survivalfusion.png (31.36 KiB) Viewed 8993 times
cretin

Re: Survival Fusion 2.0 - MPGotW 04/10/09

Post by cretin »

On the addon server your game is called "Empires" (forget to change the name?). so now both scenarios are called the same thing

Some other things i noticed:

the computer has a habit of hanging back if you stay in your base.
spawn marker only marks when the peasants come, doesnt update each turn.
UD are scary, very scary. i had a 22-6 spectre, a 24-8 banebow, and a 25-8 lich (those are their attacks)
and another player had a 15-6 berserker, and a 61-6 dragonguard :D
Limabean

Post by Limabean »

Awesome. I think the older survival fusion was the first survival I played, and it's still my favorite! Can't wait to check this out. :D
Blueblaze

Post by Blueblaze »

cretin wrote:On the addon server your game is called "Empires" (forget to change the name?). so now both scenarios are called the same thing

Some other things i noticed:

the computer has a habit of hanging back if you stay in your base.
spawn marker only marks when the peasants come, doesnt update each turn.
UD are scary, very scary. i had a 22-6 spectre, a 24-8 banebow, and a 25-8 lich (those are their attacks)
and another player had a 15-6 berserker, and a 61-6 dragonguard :D
Ahh, fixed the add-on problem. Thanks. I guess I didn't save the file when I made the changes. Hopefully I can correct the AI behavior and labels soon.
Conscience

Post by Conscience »

Hi Blueblaze, I have played many games with Survival Fusion 2.0 in multiplayer mode on the net and got many OOSes even with the default era. I think the cause may be that you have put randomization in the algorithm to do the fusions. Then I think that Wesnoth calculates the results on each machines and if there is discrepancy in the results than you have OOSes.

Have you had any OOSes youself? Did you hear anout thers having OOSes. I remember having checked with the guys and we all had Wesnoth 1.6.1.

Conscience
Blueblaze

Post by Blueblaze »

I've played this game several times and have not seen this error, has anyone else been able to reproduce it?
Blindman

Post by Blindman »

Yep. There is some bug.

He is talkin about turn oos. Sometimes 1 player ends his turn, but another player/players is/are still on that players turn.

refresh command is useless

The game NEVER noticed that oos. So there isn't any "oos window".
Lucid

Post by Lucid »

Maybe im just dumb, how do you get units to fuse, i put them on both buttons, but i get nothing.

You have a list of fusion combination?
MCP

Post by MCP »

Make sure to use the correct random generator that is multiplayer safe. You can only test it in multiplayer games over the network.

Setting the AI Aggression to 1.0 will cause it to never hang back in its base.

Make sure to include the era for all the enemies inside of your add on and assume they will use it, unless it is default era.
Jequ

Post by Jequ »

What do you think about not allowing unit to be fused more than once to prevent the game becoming SurvivalXtreme? It is too easy to recruit lots of cheap level 0 units and fuse them into your leader.
SlowThinker

Post by SlowThinker »

Yes, the strategy for the 1st phase is too clear - create a super unit.
But the 2nd phase isn't - you need units that will cover you super units from the opponent superunits.

Maybe a change of math would make the 1st phase of the game less simple - like to make subsequent fusions more expensive
I work on Conquest Minus • I use DFoolWide, Retro Terrain Package and the add-on 'High Contrast Water'
I moved to Nosebane's corner (Doc Paterson's signature); I am spending my time there, so PM me if I don't answer your post in forums
silent

Post by silent »

I tried this on 1.6.0 but the fusion mechanic doesn't work for me, I didn't put anything on the fusion hex yet nothing would fuse...
SlowThinker

Post by SlowThinker »

It is true the scenario objectives don't explain the fusion well...
You must right-click on the fusion hex after you prepare both units.
I work on Conquest Minus • I use DFoolWide, Retro Terrain Package and the add-on 'High Contrast Water'
I moved to Nosebane's corner (Doc Paterson's signature); I am spending my time there, so PM me if I don't answer your post in forums
Ant

Post by Ant »

Hello, first post on this forum.

I played a lot of Survival Fusion, loved the gameplay and wanted to give some feedback.

I really liked

* The endgame. When more then 2 players reach the endgame it is really cool.
* The concept of the fusion process
* The map itself

Don't get me wrong I really like this map, but it has some issues.

1.) The typical first time player on this map fuses away his leader (happens for 8 of 10 new players). This is frustrating to newbies and for the other players hoping for an interesting endgame.
2.) The randomness of the attacks and strikes in the fusion process. This can be really frustrating, especially during the first 10 rounds. Imagine you fuse up a dwarf thunderer and he gets no extra ranged strikes from 3 or 4 fusions. It happens and make especially low starting money games just a gamble.
3.) The fusion process is not well documented. Therefore even players repeatedly playing this map use the wrong units on beacon 2. For example you have to know the (moves-4)/2 formula. So most players end up with suboptimal endgame units, making the endgame boring.

The above points can be easily fixed, the things below perhaps not

4.) The Factions are not balanced in Survival Fusion. The only units really worth fusing up, if one wants to succeed in the endgame are the Silvermage, the Sylph, the Ghost and the Lich. All other units don't stand a chance against them. The Sylph gets the best rounded attack in the game and is flying. The Silvermage can reach every point in the map in one turn and has good resistances. And the Ghost and the Lich have their obvious advantages.

5.) The midgame can get pretty boring (round 16-30). Then game play consists of the super-unit standing around doing nothing near the enemy arrival point.

I fixed points 1.) and 2.) in the following attachment, please tell me what you think
Survival_Fusion_3.cfg
variation of survival_fusion_2.cfg
(23.95 KiB) Downloaded 410 times
silent

Post by silent »

Ant wrote: 4.) The Factions are not balanced in Survival Fusion. The only units really worth fusing up, if one wants to succeed in the endgame are the Silvermage, the Sylph, the Ghost and the Lich. All other units don't stand a chance against them. The Sylph gets the best rounded attack in the game and is flying. The Silvermage can reach every point in the map in one turn and has good resistances. And the Ghost and the Lich have their obvious advantages.
No.

Maybe if you're attacking them from preferred terrain, with a unit that doesn't have the appropriate damage type, but no.

For one thing, since you cannot get a ghost as a leader, you would be taking some risk leaving an unfused leader alone when you go to finish others off, or equally spreading the fusion. (more than 2 super units still alive at the end)

Secondly, you're really exaggerating some of the units resistances. silver mage isn't going to do so well vs melee or a ranged impact/pierce attacker/defender. The lich is only really superior vs cold or pierce, fire attacks (e.g orcish slurbow, mage, etc.) will easily decimate it depending on hp of units in question, and blade resist is very minimal.

In fact undead are probably at the greatest disadvantage because the other factions can pump their units with plenty of hp through high hp units e.g wose, clasher/burner, guardsman, troll, HI/resilient units, which the undead lack, and when you go to face the other super unit with so little HP, it's going to need a fair bit of assistance to win from there.