Wesball

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

nital

Re: Wesball

Post by nital »

ideas:
- there should be a more efficient way to counter the massive 1hp strategy, since I don't think it's what that game is really about. Units trying to kill them are stoned and they still get ZOC, making the center really difficult to cross. One way of solving it could be that killing with tackle don't stone (even if the killed unit didn't carry the ball). Another could be increasing the healing speed inside injury bench, but making the way out of it longer (i.e. unpassable in one turn, or at least you won't have much mp afterwards). The last one was already mentioned - killing in defense shouldn't be counted as a foul and that seems most logical to me.
- don't you think public bidding of units (i.e. everyone sees the highest bid) is hotter?
- ability to pick up ball from the point you're standing on (for 1 movement point probably)
bugs:
- I had a problem with "Quick Replay" on the tournament map (it crashed on 3rd turn each time I joined) but I didn't try to reproduce it (may be connected to the one below, since I tried to join after I had to kill wesnoth because of the dialog window mentioned below)
- bug with bidding: once you bidded on a unit, and then... Oh, well, I'll tell you the situation insted.
I had ~40 gold. Two units were in transfer queue, one to be sold almost immediately, one after 5 turns. Bidded both, however didn't have enough cash for both, hoped that even if someone outbids me I will get at least one of them. I got the more expensive one for ~30, had 12 gold left and in my next turn the second unit was about to be bought. The 2nd unit's minimum was 13 gp, however (I bidded 15 gp previously). In hope to do something with it, I right clicked the unit and... There was no option to confirm or cancel the bidding anyhow, and, what's worse, I had no way to exit this dialog and had to restart wesnoth.
Solution: add option to cancel your bid... or at least give a way to escape that dialog window if you don't have enough money to buy the unit ;)
Wintermute
Inactive Developer

Post by Wintermute »

nital wrote:bugs:
- I had a problem with "Quick Replay" on the tournament map (it crashed on 3rd turn each time I joined) but I didn't try to reproduce it (may be connected to the one below, since I tried to join after I had to kill wesnoth because of the dialog window mentioned below)
I also found this bug, only with "quick replay" - it worked fine for me if I went the slow way. I tracked it down to the first kill of the game, that is where quick replay crashes. I won't report a bug until this has been ported and check on the development server though, since there have been some fixes to the replay system, maybe it works in the dev branch.
"I just started playing this game a few days ago, and I already see some balance issues."
TheChosenOne

Post by TheChosenOne »

This is waaaay better than Wesbowl :)

I find that picking units available to a specific faction works well as it is. If you can pick a unit from every race, then we would find mirror matches involving 'ultimate' units which would be boring and stale.

As mentioned before, the stoned penalty for killing in defense is a problem. For example, In a mirror Knalgan match, I was able to win by killing the leader and stoning the two opposing gryphons in the last few turns of the game, paving the way for easy goals.

So far I've played against every other playable race with Knalgans, and found that the lack of healing is not much of an issue. However, when facing orcs with 3+ assassins, it is really hard to win. Really. They don't even have to kill you, they can just wait until you are weak enough, then kill you with slow units and 'boot' the ball to the goalpost.

I find it amusing that mermen and a few other water units are being auctioned at the market. Is this intentional?

Good work. Keep it up! :)
Numbers do not win a battle
---Konrad III
(A loyal member of the pro-loyalists)

Would you like to translate the Battle of Wesnoth into Indonesian? Then come and join us at http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/IndonesianTranslation
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

I uploaded wesball onto the 1.6 add-on server. I'm still getting my head around wmllint and all the the new changes - so there are likely to be problems, please report them.

Also, the football graphic has unhelpfully been removed from mainline - so now all players must have the download in order to see the ball. Alternatively, you can just pop the image in Wesnoth/data/core/images/items/
Attachments
football.png
football.png (472 Bytes) Viewed 5088 times
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves
Slann

Post by Slann »

I noticed one Bug. Isnt a big problem if you play well.

If a player not select units, they (All) will appear after the first score. So i can leave without select one unit, but after the score both will appear. Even they are unstunned after killing.
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Could you explain a little further? It's not quite clear what you mean...
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves
SkeleRanger

Post by SkeleRanger »

In the beginning when you choose your units (one or the other) if you do not pick either, both will be moved to your team.

Something else, hitting with any attack gives ball to the attacker. This makes tackle pretty much useless.

EDIT: Oooh, I feel dum now. I booted the ball into my own goal, and it WORKS!
'We've strayed into a zone with a high magical index... Don't ask me how. Once upon a time a really powerful magic field must have been generated here, and we're feeling the after-effects.'
'Precisely,' said a passing bush.
--Terry Pratchett
Tale of a Mage(finished)
Art for Tale of a Mage
Ektheleon

Post by Ektheleon »

Yeah, it pretty much makes tackling about as useful as a single goblin spearman.
Also, I downloaded the image and it works fine on 2 player, but 4 player doesn't have a ball. You just kind of have to brawl pointlessly, which, although fun, is, by definition, pointless.
catsam

Post by catsam »

I have one idea... Why stoned units heals by resting? If it the foul, they must not resting. Right?

And another idea: units speacks "fumble", "foul".... it so bore... They can say some more things, about: "Oh, my God!", "Where is MY ball?!!" or "No-no-no, mummy, i don't want in a stone!"
Something about it... or when unstoning: "Oh, yeah! I'm alive!", "To work, gentlemen!" or "Oh, boss, what was it been?"

And as i said earlier, units who get levelup after foul must to stay stoned. I also agree with idea about prevent units on defence from stoning. And about pickup ball ability i like too.
-=> I'm not against God - I just for myself <=-
CountPenguin

Post by CountPenguin »

There should be a half time where all the units heal
CountPenguin

Currently working on Siege of Soradoc. Except not anymore, but you can take over if you want!
catsam

Post by catsam »

I not agree, all units must be heal between matches - not in half-time. But in half-time may heal half of life.
-=> I'm not against God - I just for myself <=-
CountPenguin

Post by CountPenguin »

well between games if you play tournament, or half time if you're just playing 1 game.
CountPenguin

Currently working on Siege of Soradoc. Except not anymore, but you can take over if you want!
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

hey all

I've been observing wesball on the server and I have found a couple of possible improvements I would like tu suggest...

* poison/healing is too powerfull : In a normal game, dead units are "replaced" by freshly recruited units. In wesball, your unit reapears in the injury bench with no HP. This means that HP won't be balanced in the usual wesnoth game. This gives a great advantage to poisoners (no villages on field) and healers.
* winner advantage is hard to overcome : this is lined to the previous, if you have a lot of casualties, you need to fight with less troops, which gives your oponent an expanding advantage
* loosing your leader is a great disadvantage, since you can't unstone. Ambushing the leader at the respawn point can progressively freeze to death the opposite team

sugestions
* make the trapdoor to come back on game at the back of the field : this would allow defenders to have more troops available when they are overwhelmed, and force attackers to stretch their resources more.
* use more terrains : factions are balanced for all sort of terrain, and it's sad not to use wesnoth's large strategic playground with so few terrain variety/exploitable advantage
* somehow compensate the HP inbalance, I would suggest raising all units to 1/3HP (so it's not suicial to bring them on field immediately if needed, but still worth waiting) this is particcularly important for factions with no healing except for villages

I'd be really interested to know if i'm the only one that think that way, and if other ideas are bouncing around to try to improve the strategic interest of wesball...
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
sneaselx

Post by sneaselx »

I recently downloaded version 0.3, and there is a serious glitch. When I began a game, only one player got the choice to choose players. The other player just had to end their turn. Is 0.3 the latest version, and if not, where can I get the latest version? It looks fun.
dvormann

Post by dvormann »

Here's a feature request:

I'd like to see an option to play with teams consisting of nothing but Elvish Ladies. The only attack is tackle. That would change the game quite a bit.

SkeleRanger wrote:Something else, hitting with any attack gives ball to the attacker. This makes tackle pretty much useless.
That's because WB_TACKLING does not filter for a weapon. So it applies to all weapons. Try [filter_attack] name=tackle [/filter_attack] instead.

Code: Select all

#define WB_TACKLING
[event]
name=attacker_hits
first_time_only=no

[filter_second]
	role=holder
[/filter_second]

[filter_attack]
	weapon=tackle
[/filter_attack]
"m" is the key used most in Wesnoth.