Idea: Loyalists can actually recruit sergants and villagers

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Velrei

Idea: Loyalists can actually recruit sergants and villagers

Post by Velrei »

I couldn't find a topic on this in my search, but it's later here so I hope I haven't started to beat a dead horse.

Since loyalists can actually start with a leader that's a level 2 sergeant, it would kinda make sense if the could recruit one that's levle 1, which, of course, is kinda useless to have with leadership without a level 0 unit. Which villagers are weaker then goblin spearman, they would have the advantage of having leadership without a leveled unit, and units with stronger leadership then northerns, and also the ability to level into normal units, which makes the strategy different then other typical level 0 use.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
KingdomAmericaCMG

Re: Idea: Loyalists can actually recruit sergants and villagers

Post by KingdomAmericaCMG »

its in extended era, you can recruit lvl 0 sergents and lvl 0 pesants.
Drunken_Pirate

Post by Drunken_Pirate »

Velrei wrote:I couldn't find a topic on this in my search, but it's later here so I hope I haven't started to beat a dead horse.
One flogs horses, you beat wives. :twisted:
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

Yeah, let's power up Loyalists! :D
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
Velrei

Post by Velrei »

KingdomAmericaCMG wrote:its in extended era, you can recruit lvl 0 sergents and lvl 0 pesants.
As I understood it, sergeants were a level 1.
Velrei

Post by Velrei »

Drunken_Pirate wrote:
Velrei wrote:I couldn't find a topic on this in my search, but it's later here so I hope I haven't started to beat a dead horse.
Over here, the term is "beating a dead horse" (here being the midwest of the U.S.)
TheMasterOfBattle

Post by TheMasterOfBattle »

I agree with Doc on this one, Loyalists are powerful enough. They don't need more units with leadership or level 0's
MDG

Post by MDG »

Drunken_Pirate wrote:
So, you actually think that that is funny? Grow up child.
Velrei

Post by Velrei »

TheMasterOfBattle wrote:I agree with Doc on this one, Loyalists are powerful enough. They don't need more units with leadership or level 0's
Yeah, you're probably right, except for the fact I'm not *adding* a new unit with leadership, I'm merely suggesting adding the same line as a lieutant you can already recruit into recruit. I'm just looking for a method of allowing people in default to actually get a lieutant, and clearing up the loophole that allows loyalists a unique unit they couldn't normally get as a leader only. Allowing recruiting of a sergeant would clear it up, but with a lvl 1 with leadership, that makes it useless without a level 0, and the pre-existing villagers are quite weak but still cost 8 gold (as much as a goblin spearman that has basically an extra strike (and more power in the dev version) and the same cost as a wc in the new dev version.

The big advantage to villagers being the ability to actually turn into a base unit helps offset this and discourage massing of villagers.

Both the other factions with leadership in default (elves and drakes) can level units that have leadership, which I think is somewhat unfair.
TheChosenOne

Post by TheChosenOne »

Let's see...

A normal peasant has 6-2 attack. Led by a lieutenant, he'd deal 8-2 at dawn/dusk, or a decent 10-2 at day. Nearly as powerful as a spearman, but just 1/2 the cost.

Now, one lieutenant is bad enough...having TWO would be devastating, especially if one leads the main army.
Besides, I don't see many burners leveling into flares, or fighters into captains...probably this happens only in 1/10 matches.

Loyalists is the most versatile race; they don't need the added firepower from an extra lieutenant.
Numbers do not win a battle
---Konrad III
(A loyal member of the pro-loyalists)

Would you like to translate the Battle of Wesnoth into Indonesian? Then come and join us at http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/IndonesianTranslation
Velrei

Post by Velrei »

TheChosenOne wrote:Let's see...

A normal peasant has 6-2 attack. Led by a lieutenant, he'd deal 8-2 at dawn/dusk, or a decent 10-2 at day. Nearly as powerful as a spearman, but just 1/2 the cost.

Now, one lieutenant is bad enough...having TWO would be devastating, especially if one leads the main army.
Besides, I don't see many burners leveling into flares, or fighters into captains...probably this happens only in 1/10 matches.

Loyalists is the most versatile race; they don't need the added firepower from an extra lieutenant.
You make an excellent point, if villagers are hireable, and the player selects a lieutant as a leader (I mean, who doesn't?), that will give a damage bonus to a village of about 50% (two levels of difference X 25% damage boost). Of course, the spearman in your example have at least twice the hitpoints and get a 25% damage boost as well. Still, you make a valuable point, and no faction with leadership has level 0's (for this purpose I'm not counting Goblin rousers). That could easilly effect game balance more then I originally thought.
Krispos

Post by Krispos »

A) A 10-2 is the same as a grunt, making that pretty ridiculous for a peasent, eh?
B) Leadership doesn't stack, does it?
John 3:16 (NIV)
"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."
Professionals built the Titanic
Amateurs built the Ark
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

Velrei wrote:that will give a damage bonus to a village of about 50%
56.25%, actually ;)
Krispos

Post by Krispos »

Get out of here with yer numbers n' accuracy n' logic n' stuffs!!!
John 3:16 (NIV)
"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."
Professionals built the Titanic
Amateurs built the Ark
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Skizzaltix wrote:
Velrei wrote:that will give a damage bonus to a village of about 50%
56.25%, actually ;)
Or rather, exactly 50%.