Galactic Empires (Wesnoth in Space)

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Bob_The_Mighty

Re: Galactic Empires (MP Sci-fi Scenario)

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Hey Dornteufel. That's odd, it works for me. Must be that there's a lower/upper case mismatch in the map's filename, which Windows accepts but Ubuntu doesn't. In any case, I've just uploaded a new version (with exactly one change to a single character!) which should work for you too.
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves
Can-ned_Food

Post by Can-ned_Food »

Kipples wrote: May 25th, 2018, 10:34 am I think that this still is not quite correct implementation though as the losers will get a "victory" screen but at least the game ends where expected.
Unfortunately, I think this is one of those rough areas where MP is not yet quite supported by Combat Tiles Wesnoth.

I've never tested this, but seems — per the DirectActionsWML#.5Bendlevel.5D — that you can work around by doing something like

Code: Select all

result =   GalaEmpi game_over
and then having something like

[event]
name =   GalaEmpi game_over
which runs a proc that determines whether to show a “Victory!” or “Defeat…” message for each player. E.g. triggering victory event handle for one and defeat for the others.
Of course, such a proc could be a node of OOS divergence with the players; however, so long as you don't mind replays differing finally and [campaign] being impossible, it could be a viable cosmetic trick.
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Post by octalot »

This is in GE 3.2.0, and looks like it might cause the UI to change behaviour in other multiplayer games (the core version doesn't have check_fogged=false).

warning preprocessor: Redefining macro SCROLL_TO without explicit #undef at ~add-ons/Galactic_Empires/./files/misc_macros.cfg:194
    included from ~add-ons/Galactic_Empires/_main.cfg:19
previously defined at core/macros/interface-utils.cfg:132
    included from core/_main.cfg:18
    included from _main.cfg:18
Also, you should replace true/false with yes/no :eng:
atomopawn_

Post by atomopawn_ »

In order to get this working with the latest version of Wesnoth in git, I had to:

1. Delete MAGENTA_IS_THE_TEAM_COLOR from all files:

find -name \*.cfg -exec sed -i '/MAGENTA_IS_THE_TEAM_COLOR/d' {} \;
2. Replace ABILITY_LEADERSHIP_LEVEL_1 with ABILITY_LEADERSHIP in Veteran.cfg (under dwartha).

Just a heads-up for anyone who wants to try this mod out with 1.15-dev (1.14.4 introduced a bug that causes Wesnoth to crash if you accidentally try to use a transport to attack something -- this seems to be fixed in 1.15-dev).
PastaSaucey

Post by PastaSaucey »

Hello there Bob!

Yeah, I'm having a bit of a problem with running my own local 2 or 4 player GEA game. Ok, it's a major problem.
You see, every time I chose a GEA map, it tells me to select an era that will match it (i.e. the Galactic Empires Era itself) right? Well, whenever that happens, the engine ends up selecting the era that appears just below the GEA on my list of eras :doh:.
And when I try to select the GEA era itself, the engine always tells me to select a map that matches the era. But on the list of maps, not a single GEA map appears, so I was wondering, first, if anyone else had that problem, and also how I can fix it please.

Thanks.
Think outside the quadrilateral parallelogram
Can-ned_Food

Post by Can-ned_Food »

PastaSaucey wrote: September 28th, 2018, 8:42 pm You see, every time I chose a GEA map, it tells me to select an era that will match it (i.e. the Galactic Empires Era itself) right? Well, whenever that happens, the engine ends up selecting the era that appears just below the GEA on my list of eras :doh:.
So, it asks you to select a compatible era for the map, and it shows only one era: the one with ident Galactic_Empires_Era. Then it ends up selecting a different era.
What is that era which it loads? What is its ident? Look in that era's files for the id= line — or, better yet, let it select that era, then quit, then tell us what you see in your preferences file for the mp_era= line. Seems like a collision to me.
And when I try to select the GEA era itself, the engine always tells me to select a map that matches the era. But on the list of maps, not a single GEA map appears, so I was wondering, first, if anyone else had that problem, and also how I can fix it please.
Such is usually caused by a simple mismatch of the idents. However, it appears that the files, in my copy which was recently downloaded, specify the correct era.

EIther your cache is corrupted, or some other era in your add–ons has an ident which is conflicting with the GE ident.

P.S. What is the ‘A’ in “GEA”? It may be that you are talking about a new release of which I am not aware…
P.P.S. Your signature says “Think outside the square.” Hehe.
PastaSaucey

Post by PastaSaucey »

Can-ned_Food wrote: January 24th, 2019, 4:03 pm So, it asks you to select a compatible era for the map, and it shows only one era: the one with ident Galactic_Empires_Era. Then it ends up selecting a different era.
What is that era which it loads? What is its ident? Look in that era's files for the id= line — or, better yet, let it select that era, then quit, then tell us what you see in your preferences file for the mp_era= line. Seems like a collision to me.

Such is usually caused by a simple mismatch of the idents. However, it appears that the files, in my copy which was recently downloaded, specify the correct era.

EIther your cache is corrupted, or some other era in your add–ons has an ident which is conflicting with the GE ident.
*sigh* Honestly man, I have no idea what's going on. I'm confused as to what the issue I'm getting is in general. I want to know if I can just drop the file here and see if anyone can figure it out? Pls let me know.
P.S. What is the ‘A’ in “GEA”? It may be that you are talking about a new release of which I am not aware…
Oops, so sorry I was using the wrong acronym! :lol:
P.P.S. Your signature says “Think outside the square.” Hehe.
Actually, it says "Think outside the box" :eng:
But tomato tomoto I guess ...
Think outside the quadrilateral parallelogram
Can-ned_Food

Post by Can-ned_Food »

Go ahead, then.
Don't publish the entire Preferences file if it saves your account password! :) (as Ravana said below, this is not pertinent in 1-14 edition.)
You want to look through it for the line which begins with mp_era=. Do as I said in the previous message, then post that line only and in its entirety. it.
PastaSaucey wrote: February 21st, 2019, 2:20 am
Can-ned_Food wrote: January 24th, 2019, 4:03 pm let it select that era, then quit, then tell us what you see in your preferences file for the mp_era= line.
Or, you could simply tell us the name of the era being selected.

It may also be helpful if you publish the directory listing everything in your add-ons/ folder. I am curious as to whether some other era installed in there is using the same id= as GE does.
And when I try to select the GEA era itself, the engine always tells me to select a map that matches the era.
When you select the era itself, there should be nothing which is requiring you to choose certain maps. It seems like your copy of GE is somehow altered.
Last edited by Can-ned_Food on February 22nd, 2019, 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

Password is not saved in plaintext or in preferences file anymore.
Trampod

Post by Trampod »

Bug report:
Add-on version: 3.3.0
Name: Beam anihilator bug
File: beaming.cfg

Because you read $x1 and $y1 three times instead of storing the values, it is possible to open new context menu on a different tile while the animation is still playing. This results in the original unit staying on planet while any unit on the second tile being stored in recall list without any way of getting it back, since saving of id is before the animation starts.
DLCB

Post by DLCB »

Having a similar problem as PastaSaucey. Just trying to do the tutorial, with the good ol' Galactic Empires Era selected, but when i choose the map, it says i need to, well, pick it again. So i do, and it kicks me to the Imperial Era, which happens to be directly below it. Every time i try selecting the Galactic Empires Era again, it boots me off to another map.

I know i haven't tampered with it, i'm not great in that field anyway. This problem isn't just with the tutorial, either, it's with all of the maps, even the Extra GE Scenarios add-on.
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

DLCB wrote: March 9th, 2020, 8:13 pmHaving a similar problem as PastaSaucey.
I never got to the bottom of what PastaSaucey's problem was. The add-on works fine for me, no matter whether I select era or scenario first. Have you tried removing all your add-ons except Galactic Empires? If this works it must be a clash with another add-on, and if you list which ones you have first maybe we can work out what is causing it.
My current projects:
TheChosenOne

Post by TheChosenOne »

Hi Bob,

It's been years since I played this Era, and I am excited to see how GE is today!

So I played the tutorial. All was well except when I was trying to invade the enemy homeworld, I was supposed to have 3 soldiers but after beaming the soldiers, only 2 landed. Is it possibly because I beamed down two soldiers one after another (and maybe the fact that the transporter is in the same position might have caused the 2 soldiers to stack on top each other)?

Aside from the break in gameplay immersion, is it possible this might have other unforeseen issues? For example, what would happen if I try to beam down from the south but an enemy already occupies it?

Please find the replay attached.
Attachments
1p - GE Tutorial replay.gz
(46.33 KiB) Downloaded 301 times
Numbers do not win a battle
---Konrad III
(A loyal member of the pro-loyalists)

Would you like to translate the Battle of Wesnoth into Indonesian? Then come and join us at http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/IndonesianTranslation
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

TheChosenOne wrote: April 12th, 2020, 2:28 amSo I played the tutorial. All was well except when I was trying to invade the enemy homeworld, I was supposed to have 3 soldiers but after beaming the soldiers, only 2 landed. Is it possibly because I beamed down two soldiers one after another (and maybe the fact that the transporter is in the same position might have caused the 2 soldiers to stack on top each other)?
I can't watch the replay you posted as it says it's not supported in multiplayer mode. However, I replicated the problem in the tutorial and I think it might be related to Trampod's bug report above - when beaming up, were you right-clicking on units rather quickly? Or waiting for the animation to play? The code planet/beaming code is a complicated mess which needs to be rewritten, but for now I might just disable the animations.
My current projects:
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

to watch replays of mp games you load load them via the normal singleplayer load button, not via the multiplayer menu.
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.