Multiplayer map - Four Peaks

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

telex4

Multiplayer map - Four Peaks

Post by telex4 »

From the lets-force-everyone-into-the-middle dept:

Here's another map I've started working on. It was inspired in part by one of the new in-game maps that puts castles right next to each other. So gather together 7 other friends or AI and battle it out in tag teams!

Please playtest... potential problems include:

o Unfair advantage to players with flying units (because of the deep water rivers crossing the map)
o Not enough incentive to go to the middle
o Too much play left<->right, not enough top<->bottom
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

Does the problem not lie with the large amout of water in the middle? If it was fairly easy to reach the others in the middle; but it would be very risky to cross the water in the left-right area, people would go down and ignore that.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Also, it's a lot easier to cross mountains than deep water.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
telex4

Post by telex4 »

OK I've changed the middle, changed the forest shape slightly, and added a couple of villages in the middle-west.

I'm not sure there's anything more I can do about the fact that, for some races, moving along the sides over the mountains is viable, whilst for others going through the centre is the only decent route. If it doesn't play too well, I suppose the concept is just flawed.

But please do give more feedback... watching a few AI games all the way through seemed positive, with pretty long games without any glaringly obvious advantages either way.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

telex4 wrote:I'm not sure there's anything more I can do about the fact that, for some races, moving along the sides over the mountains is viable, whilst for others going through the centre is the only decent route. If it doesn't play too well, I suppose the concept is just flawed..
Umm, what about extending the rivers through the mountains?
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
telex4

Post by telex4 »

Elvish Pillager wrote:
telex4 wrote:I'm not sure there's anything more I can do about the fact that, for some races, moving along the sides over the mountains is viable, whilst for others going through the centre is the only decent route. If it doesn't play too well, I suppose the concept is just flawed..
Umm, what about extending the rivers through the mountains?
I could do, but I don't know if I should... there's something to be said for still letting people along the far edges... do you mean I should block that off to all but flying units?
telex4

Post by telex4 »

Update!

I've made a few very minor changes, the most important of which are widening the roads that cross the rivers. I found myself getting stuck there for quite a long time, which made it a little boring. I was pleasantly surprised by how tactically involved the center lake became though :)
ryn

forum crash

Post by ryn »

could you please repost the map?
2B |! 2B = 3F
telex4

Post by telex4 »

Hmm, I appear to have deleted it, so unless anyone else here has a copy it's lost, which is a shame because I rather liked it :(