Wesband, MP dungeon-crawler (now for Wesnoth 1.9.14+ !)

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Exasperation

Re: Wesband, MP dungeon-crawler (now for Wesnoth 1.9.14+ !)

Post by Exasperation »

Sorry about my long absence, real life got in the way, and I had to take an unplanned wesbreak.

If you're wondering how things stand, here's an update: I completed a lot of bugfixes and other improvements before my time away, but the reason why I didn't upload a new version was that I was between a set of changes that broke savegame compatability and another set of changes that would break savegame compatability again. Then, with a bunch of half-completed changes (leaving my copy in a state that wouldn't even run), I found myself unable to work on Wesband for several months.
So, since it's obvious that the next set of compatability-breaking changes is still going to take quite a while for me to finish, I've backed up my most recent work, rolled my copy back to the most recent version that still worked, dealt with some issues that were reported while I was away, and published Wesband 0.8.2 to the add-on server.

If anyone is still checking back for updates, enjoy!
Xudo

Post by Xudo »

May be it is good idea to use Wesnoth-UMC-Dev Project as main repository of your project?
You still need inform people about what do you want to implement in game, but your addon will not be abandoned for a several months.
TheScribe

Post by TheScribe »

I downloaded this recently. I didn't get very far, but found this one thing that really bugged me. I played this as a single-player, and it went through all the teams, so when it was the ai's turn, the entire thing was covered with fog. Is that intentional?
Sorta on a break from the forums ATM, have been for a while. If I was doing something for/with you and I haven't recently, that's why, I will be back soon hopefully.
o11c

Post by o11c »

Some things I noticed playing Wesband 0.8.2 on wesnoth 1.10.3:
  • The initial scenario is not random. There are a couple of different start maps, but there is one map that happens more than half the time. And, if you follow the same sequence of purchases, it will generate the same set of monsters in the dungeon. Not fun.
  • phoenix fire: if you die after drinking this, you return at 5.33332 life
  • most enemies drop 0 gold and don't pick up the gold they originally spawned on top of.
  • seemingly harmless but verbose error when you go into "manage inventory" or "give items", but don't change anything: ".../items.lua:1776: attempt to index local 'g' (a nil value)"
  • backstab is offered when I have light blade strikes 1 and light blade damage 0, it is documented as requiring light blade damage 1
  • I've got a potion that heals 0 HP
  • What's the difference between the upgrade paths for a spearman?
TheScribe wrote:I downloaded this recently. I didn't get very far, but found this one thing that really bugged me. I played this as a single-player, and it went through all the teams, so when it was the ai's turn, the entire thing was covered with fog. Is that intentional?
That appears to be because you loaded a game. The only way to safely reload an MP game is to go back to the main wesnoth screen, click a multiplayer, and choose "Load Game..." for the scenario.

It would be nice if there were a proper single-player version of wesnoth to solve this (and also take away the pain of setting all the other players to "empty")

---

On the bright side, I *have* come up with the ultimate single-player build - Saurian Augur with all upgrades to Deft/Light Blade, and for henchmen: a spearman and an elf healer.
TheScribe

Post by TheScribe »

That appears to be because you loaded a game. The only way to safely reload an MP game is to go back to the main wesnoth screen, click a multiplayer, and choose "Load Game..." for the scenario.
That's not it, since I never stopped the game, and I also never loaded a save. Thanks though.
Sorta on a break from the forums ATM, have been for a while. If I was doing something for/with you and I haven't recently, that's why, I will be back soon hopefully.
Exasperation

Post by Exasperation »

o11c wrote:The initial scenario is not random. There are a couple of different start maps, but there is one map that happens more than half the time. And, if you follow the same sequence of purchases, it will generate the same set of monsters in the dungeon. Not fun.
I'm not sure what caused this, but I think I can work around it - it will take some time to do, however.
phoenix fire: if you die after drinking this, you return at 5.33332 life
This results from a change in WML behavior from 1.8 -> 1.10, and is an easy fix.
most enemies drop 0 gold and don't pick up the gold they originally spawned on top of.
Not a bug. Enemies have an attribute that determines whether they care about gold or not. Generally, things like bandits, orcs, some undead do. Most animals do not.
seemingly harmless but verbose error when you go into "manage inventory" or "give items", but don't change anything: ".../items.lua:1776: attempt to index local 'g' (a nil value)"
This is harmless, but is also an easy fix.
backstab is offered when I have light blade strikes 1 and light blade damage 0, it is documented as requiring light blade damage 1
Good catch, will be fixed.
I've got a potion that heals 0 HP
Still looking for the cause of this.
What's the difference between the upgrade paths for a spearman?
Are you talking about choosing which unit to level a henchman to? When an npc levels into a new unit type, they will prioritize the canonical upgrade choices for that unit type when they spend their talent points. So the pikeman goes for extra polearm damage first, the javelineer goes for javelin damage+speed first, and the swordsman goes for heavy blade damage+speed first. After that they'll spend remaining points on whatever they think looks like a good idea. Depending on how they're equipped, they could wind up buying exactly the same upgrades regardless of which path you choose, or they might not (for example, a spearman with a throwable polearm will likely get extra polearm damage, javelin damage, and javelin speed regardless of whether he levels to pikeman or javelineer - but a spearman with a non-throwable polearm will probably skip the javelin upgrades if you upgrade him to a pikeman).
TheScribe wrote:I downloaded this recently. I didn't get very far, but found this one thing that really bugged me. I played this as a single-player, and it went through all the teams, so when it was the ai's turn, the entire thing was covered with fog. Is that intentional?
This is not intentional, and I don't know why it's doing so.
paridoth

Post by paridoth »

Anyone getting a screen full of errors when they manage inventory? makes the game unplayable for me, i am running wesnoth 1.10.4

http://imgur.com/vDft8
JaMiT
Inactive Developer

Post by JaMiT »

paridoth wrote:Anyone getting a screen full of errors when they manage inventory? makes the game unplayable for me, i am running wesnoth 1.10.4
Well, from a few posts up:
o11c wrote:seemingly harmless but verbose error when you go into "manage inventory" or "give items", but don't change anything: ".../items.lua:1776: attempt to index local 'g' (a nil value)"
Now I haven't played Wesband (I was just pointed to this topic to evaluate a possible error), but the mention of "unplayable" makes me wonder if you do not know how to wipe the message from your screen? Just hit the colon key (:), then give the command clear. From the description and screenshot I would believe "annoying", but "unplayable" seems a bit over the top (unless you need to manage inventory a lot more often than I am guessing, which is possible). Still, Exasperation said it was an easy fix, so at worst just wait for the next update?
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

This is a great dungeon crawl. You did an amazing job. So far my troll reached dungeon level 30 (single play), but it seems to be easy after some first troubles.

I liked:

- the random map generator
- how the tilesettings change in higher levels, so each dungeon looks different.
- the skill system and the high replayability.
- the variety of monsters
- the changes after reaching a level that is high enough

Some things that might be nice if they would be added:

- images could be randomly placed in the dungeos, such as bones, trash or campfires within bigger groups of enemies.
- random placed traps would be nice too - you might want to use the metatrap macro for that
- story elements - this has been used in castle of winds - there has been storyelements each 7th level to keep the people playing
(with story elements I just mean a special monster that might have a first attack or something)
- a sell all option in stores that sells all equipment that is not equipped

bugs so far:

I receive lua bugs when using the inventory and quit without dooing changes. The inventory itself seems to be very complicated in some way, maybe you could save a submenu. I receive lua bugs when a companion dies and the is greyed out. The 0 gold bug should easily be solved by starting the diced out gold with 1 instead of 0.
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical, UR Epic Era
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
drvolk

Post by drvolk »

i played Wesband with a friend last weekend it was totaly fun :)

I would like to have this wonderfull extension translated into my native speech (german). Is there an easy way to do that, or is there an need to change the extension to be able to be localized ?
Xudo

Post by Xudo »

There is a tutorial about translations in Wesnoth. You can find it here.
drvolk

Post by drvolk »

i know, but as i read in the tutorial the code of the extension itself has to be prepared for localization, which is described here:

http://wiki.wesnoth.org/WesCamp

I dont know if this is the case for the code of the Wesband extension and i do not want to modify the code itself.
IgnisSolus

Post by IgnisSolus »

WHenever I try to buy something, it says that I do not have enough money. Meaning I can't buy anything, henchmen, nor weapons, nor .Second, I can't enter the dungeon. And lastly, giant walls of errors. Not finding any fun in THAT.
What's up with not being able to get an avatar?
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

IgnisSolus wrote:Not finding any fun in THAT.
Then don't play it. Nobody's forcing you to, and you certainly haven't lost anything, considering that you didn't spend any money on it.

Alternatively, instead of swearing at the add-on's creator, you could try providing him with a useful bug report including specific details of exactly what went wrong, your stderr output, a savefile to reproduce the bug, and information about what version of the add-on and Wesnoth itself you are playing.
sidd11

Post by sidd11 »

Great dungeon crawl! I've sunk quite a bit of time into it. I've noticed a strange bug in which crossbows lose their fire shot and thrown light blades lose their poison attacks when I go into the inventory to switch weapons. Is there anyway to fix this issue?