Wesband, MP dungeon-crawler (now for Wesnoth 1.9.14+ !)

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Wesband, MP dungeon-crawler (now for Wesnoth 1.9.14+ !)

Post by Ken_Oh »

Hey guys, since this gets bumped periodically, I just wanted to drop an official note on the state of Wesband. I'm not working on Wesband anymore, and I'm not planning to ever come back to it. I had an abundance of free time years ago, but that free time as almost all dried up to the point that it's been years since I've even cracked open Wesnoth. What time I do have for this kind of thing will go to programming my own stuff. I was honestly always an action gamer at heart, and my aim is to make strategy games for action gamers. My holy grail would be to create a procedurally-generated action RPG, one that a gamefaqs.com spoiler page couldn't help you play.

I have learned a ton about open source projects and related technologies from hanging around Wesnoth and working on projects like Wesband, to the point that I now work with Linux on a daily basis at home and at work. Working with Exasperation was especially great, as I could see how I sized up to someone with official training in software engineering. Plus, he had really good ideas and was generally awesome to collaborate with. I would also like to put a shout-out to zookeeper, who was always tirelessly helpful in getting me to understand how to use WML.

I don't have any contact with Exasperation, so it's possible that he has plans to update Wesband. I give anyone full blessing if they want to take up the project and take it in whatever direction they want (it's not like I could prevent you, since I don't "own" anything). Here are the notes and roadmaps for what my/our plans were.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... =drive_web

For anyone who is having problems running Wesband, all I can say it use the version of Wesnoth in which Exasperation last updated it on June 2012. PMs on the forum will also send an alert to my email, but I can't say I'll be much help.

Thanks everyone. It's been real fun!
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Oh what a pity Ken_Oh. I've used to play it a while ago and the infinite dungeon impressed my so much, that I've created my own (6 now ^^). Maybe its a little bit late, but thank your for Wesband! It was a great campaign!
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical, UR Epic Era
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Heindal, glad to hear I had some inspiration for your projects. Looking at your signature, I can see that you've been quite prolific! I should take a look at them sometime. I haven't even fired up Wesnoth in forever.

Whew, I just took a stroll through memory lane with my Wesnoth wiki and the planning pages for Wesband. So many great memories, yet so much left to do.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Cool :).

I can recomment the "places of interest" section in Strange Legacy's infinite and random dungeons (these are the 6 dungeons I'm talking about).
These random dungeons will spawn a place of interest on each dungeon level.

Be it a trader, trainer, underground cities, pirate treasures, rivers, monsternests, bosses, heroes, ressources, kidnapped persons and some more. These could be easily implented into Wesband and would make the dungeons less repetitive. I've also created random scattered images and treasures and doors (blocking objects).

I had to abandon the placing of random traps, as it is quite pointless, except you combine it with block elements.

Annother interesting thing would be the overlay concept to show the equipment of heroes and the spell concept.
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Ah, when you said "6 now" before, I thought you were referring to the 6 add-ons listed after "Developer of" in your signature. I'll definitely check out Strange Legacy first then.
MCP

Post by MCP »

Thanks for the fun memories Ken_Oh. It was a good add on while it lasted.
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Oh man.....MCP. It's been a while.
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

Hey everyone,
Here is a breakdown of my Wesband port repo for 1.14 and 1.16.
https://github.com/virtualghetto/Wesband/

It has the regular Multiplayer Wesband that is started from Multiplayer->Random Maps->Wesband.
And, there is the Singleplayer version, which can be started from Campaigns->Wesband on the main screen.

The SP version keeps the sides separate in the Overworld but switches them all to one side once in the Dungeon.
The gold might look funny when you try to pick it up or drop it. Don't worry the side gold shown at the top isn't what matters. The gold is tracked internally per leader with personal gold, not side gold. There won't be any gold lost when you pick it up or drop it, or when you go in or out of the dungeon.

I created the SP version because it is easier and faster for me to use for testing purposes. It is fully functional and plays very much like the MP version. I haven't decided yet if I'll be uploading it to the add-ons server. If I do, I'll be calling it Weshack :lol:

Branch master is Multiplayer 1.14
Branch sp_w1_14 is Singleplayer 1.14
Branch w1_16 is Multiplayer 1.16
Branch sp_w1_16 is Singleplayer 1.16

On the github version, I've increased the number of henchmen allowed per side. There aren't any other gameplay changes or plans.

Here is what else you'll find on the github version.
I've made sure that all dungeon map enemy units are reachable by carving a path to them if they happened to have spawned closed-in behind a cave wall or a pocket.
I've made sure all the player units are also not closed in and that the up/down exits are accessible at all times.
This means that all dungeon maps can be "Cleared".

I'd like to add sorting to the inventory and have a drop all/give all/sell all functions. I haven't gotten all of that to work. The drop all works but I commented it out for now. The sorting isn't working as well. It is messing up the array indices in the drop all :/

I replaced some of the [filter_wml] filters to speed up the weapon specials attacks, but I still need to look more closely at minor issues they seem to have. The slash and dash for example sometimes doesn't give back the players attacks on the following turn, but on the one after that.
I also need to make sure that the other weapon specials are doing what they claim to be doing in the description.

That's it for now.
Enjoy.
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

I'll give it a shot!

EDIT: Wow, great job on the port! I never thought I'd play this again. Having not played Wesnoth in a long while, I can see some pain points that I never really realized before. Not that I have the time to really work on this, but it's fun to dream. Thanks for the update!
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

Ken_Oh wrote: December 16th, 2021, 4:44 pm I'll give it a shot!

EDIT: Wow, great job on the port! I never thought I'd play this again. Having not played Wesnoth in a long while, I can see some pain points that I never really realized before. Not that I have the time to really work on this, but it's fun to dream. Thanks for the update!
Thank you! It definitely was challenge to port. Possibly the hardest I've worked on thus far.
What you guys did in Wesband is really impressive.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

This is one of the coolest add-ons, that was ever made. Thanks vghetto for your work!
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

Hi again.
I just uploaded Wesband 0.8.2-3 to 1.14/1.16. This version fixes a lua error thrown when the inventory of a summoned unit is accessed. There were some other minor bugfixes too.
The upload also includes the changes mentioned in my previous post; Carved paths to exits and max allowable henches.

I've decreased the radius of movement restrictions when an enemy is spotted or roused. That means the rest of the players moves are replenished if they are further back. Allowing them to catch up to the triggering player.

Also, whenever the moves are replenished, the unit is auto selected for you using [select_unit]. Please let me know if that raises OOS errors on networked games. The wiki wasn't clear in that regard.
Heindal wrote: December 17th, 2021, 9:01 pm This is one of the coolest add-ons, that was ever made. Thanks vghetto for your work!
Thank you

Edit: Ninja update. The dungeon didn't have a schedule. 0.8.2-4 uploaded with the fix.
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

Wesband/Weshack 0.8.2-5 uploaded to 1.14 and 1.16 with many bugfixes!
Fixed lua error on the creation of certain units like Druids.
Fixed exit trapdoor creation in the border.
The undead minions upgrade tree should be fully operational for all three branches.
The drop/give inventory list is now sorted, with the added option to drop all items to the ground.
Wesband's unit constructor can now process and build any wesnoth unit, not just wesband specific units. The inventory won't change when the non-wesband unit advances though.
Please report any bugs either here or to the Weshack thread. Not on github.
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

Wesband/Weshack 0.8.2-6 uploaded to 1.14 and 1.16 with even more bugfixes!

This version fixes some serious bugs, unreachable exit, an infinite loop on advancement, slowness when an enemy gets to stand over a huge stack of items.
I added bridges to the maps that have chasms to make the exits accessible. All maps should be clearable for real this time.
Fixed an infinite loop problem when npc unit advances.
Fixed lua error when the unit is rousing is close to the map border.
Fixed lua error with goliath bane advancement.
Limit the number of items that the enemy can pick up to 10 items.

I added the option to drop/drop all items by category.
This version should better support non-wesband units from 3rd party addons.
When they advance, they get the new weapons and retain the old ones if they have a different name.
For example, a mainline Peasant advancing to a mainline Spearman can keep the pitchfork. He can equip it, drop it to the ground, give to someone else or even sell it. Woo!

Enjoy.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

vghetto wrote: January 4th, 2022, 8:16 am Wesband/Weshack 0.8.2-6 uploaded to 1.14 and 1.16 with even more bugfixes!

This version fixes some serious bugs, unreachable exit, an infinite loop on advancement, slowness when an enemy gets to stand over a huge stack of items.
I added bridges to the maps that have chasms to make the exits accessible. All maps should be clearable for real this time.
Fixed an infinite loop problem when npc unit advances.
Fixed lua error when the unit is rousing is close to the map border.
Fixed lua error with goliath bane advancement.
Limit the number of items that the enemy can pick up to 10 items.

I added the option to drop/drop all items by category.
This version should better support non-wesband units from 3rd party addons.
When they advance, they get the new weapons and retain the old ones if they have a different name.
For example, a mainline Peasant advancing to a mainline Spearman can keep the pitchfork. He can equip it, drop it to the ground, give to someone else or even sell it. Woo!

Enjoy.
Wesband is currently broken. With shops and and armor vendors throwing Lua error upon entering.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium