Wesband, MP dungeon-crawler (now for Wesnoth 1.9.14+ !)

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Exasperation

Re: Wesband 0.4.3, now with 4 players (npc level-up freeze fixed

Post by Exasperation »

Just so you know, I figured out what was going on with NPCs' attack spells disappearing. Unfortunately, I figured it out after 0.4.3 went out, but when 0.4.4 arrives it should be fixed.

As an aside, on the issue of getting ghost minions - they're a great option for an assassin who takes up black magic, since they're likely to be handy with a blade anyway.
Leid

Post by Leid »

Hi there, i've been having a problem with your add-on with a friend, when some OOS apeared, and kept appearing every time any of us moved to "almost" anywhere, I use Vista while he uses Ubuntu(jaunty 9.04) he played the day before with other guy and says that at certain time, any message he wrote didn't reach to the other computer, sorry, but i can't provide any screenshot, my PC don't let me do them. Do you have any clue of what may be happening? Thanks beforehand!
The creator of "City Defense", a 2P survival on the add-ons list.

Visite my Art Gallery!
http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=30931
shadowblack

Post by shadowblack »

One possibility is another add-on causing the OOS. Does your friend have any add-ons you don't have? Also, are all of your and your friend's add-ons up to date?
You are a Dark Adept: You immerse yourself in the dark arts... potentially with great rewards...
Exasperation

Post by Exasperation »

The two things I would check first are:
1) Do you both have the same version of BfW?
2) Do you both have the same version of Wesband?
Then I would see if there might be a conflict with another add-on (try moving all your other add-ons into a zip file temporarily and seeing if that fixes it).
Jami

Post by Jami »

I've got a new bugged savefile for you.

This one crashes wesnoth when you attempt to go down a level.
Error recived:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information.

Save:
Wesband_Dungeon_Turn_18.zip
(484.15 KiB) Downloaded 254 times
~Jami
Exasperation

Post by Exasperation »

Found the problem. It turns out the solution was really simple, but because of the way BfW was crashing there was pretty much no error information to go on. If you don't want to wait for the next version to be up, open up DungeonUpdate.lua and change the section at the end from

Code: Select all

process_entries("terrains")
process_entries("cluster_themes")
process_entries("loner_themes")
process_theme("outlaws")
process_theme("orcs")
process_theme("undead")
process_theme("water")
process_theme("planar")
process_theme("saurian")
process_theme("slime")
process_theme("cave")
process_entries("naga.loner")
to

Code: Select all

process_entries("terrains")
process_entries("cluster_themes")
process_entries("loner_themes")
process_theme("outlaws")
process_theme("orcs")
process_theme("undead")
process_theme("water")
process_theme("planar")
process_theme("saurian")
process_theme("slime")
process_theme("cave")
process_theme("dark")
process_entries("naga.loner")
That will solve the problem for new saves, and even let you keep playing with the save you posted (although the odds of certain enemies appearing will be off somewhat for a few levels of the dungeon in that game).
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

0.4.4 up on the add-ons server, which includes Exasperation's fix for the above issue. Also granted starting characters a few more HPs, to help with unlucky situations.

-fixed NPC magi losing magic
-added missing dark theme update to DungeonUpdate.lua
fixed round shields blocking dual wield
-added ranged adjust to damage calc
-flat +5 hp to all starting PCs
-some fixes and display changes to character selection, hopefully making it easier to read
Stormcurse

Re: Wesband 0.4.4, now with 4 players

Post by Stormcurse »

I played Wesband in the past, in v. 1.7, and it worked fine. Unfortunately, I just downloaded it and try to play, and get an error as soon as I do. The error says:

<Lua error> ...ohn/.wesnoth1.8/data/add-ons/Wesband/lua/Rousing.lua:41: attempt to index global 'const' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
...ohn/wesnoth1.8/data/add-ons/Wesband/lua/Rousing.lua:41: in function 'rouseUnits'
...ohn/wesnoth1.8/data/add-ons/Wesband/lua/Rousing.lua:170: in main chunk
: in function 'dofile'
[string "..."]:3: in main chunk

As soon as I start the scenario, this error appears on the top left corner of the screen. I right-click my character, and choose a defect. Then, suddenly, the character customization options disappear, and so does my character. As soon as I end my turn, it says I have been defeated, since my character is apparently dead.

Confusion and annoyance.
Exasperation

Post by Exasperation »

That is somewhat confusing...when you say 'choose a defect', is that something from a non-default era that you're using? If so, it's entirely possible that there is a conflict between that era and Wesband that's causing your issues.
Araja

Post by Araja »

It sounds like he was using Bob's RPG Era. That's the only one I can think of that makes you choose defects in your character.
Lollipopz

Post by Lollipopz »

Yea, Bob's RPG era only works when theres no locked leader.
"Neighbour knocked my door at midnight. Instead of sugar he wanted brains. I gave bullets."

Resistance is futile. Ponies will take over the internet.
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Lollipopz wrote:Yea, Bob's RPG era only works when theres no locked leader.
Yeah, but you can always disable using map settings. I think we're going to have to make a check and error message that tell you if you're not using the correct leader.

I think that might be all we need to check for if you don't "use map settings," you can't choose the correct leader, so I don't think anything else can get messed up without that.
IPS

Post by IPS »

this thing i's curiusly:

When you take the other player side, and move him, the game starts to take Sync errors (OOS) ... but when you take the side, but no move his character, there is not sync errors.

We, a group of 4 players, we did a reload in the last turn where I didn't moved the side of a friend (Darkmage) and I did gived the side to him, and the room didn't had sync errors. But, before, when I have moved his character, every move what he does makes Sync errors to me.

It's stable if anybody moves the side of the other player, simply.
Creator of: Deathmatch new in 1.12 server.
Co-creator of: Era of Magic in 1.16 server
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
Try My winning Orocia Guide
Darkmage
Translator

Post by Darkmage »

Well I appear back here again to explain it a bit more:

I was host(That may be the problem though), and I switched places with IPS I gave him side 1 and then I gave myself side 3(Previously took by IPS). No problems, we bought stuff and all that... Then we do go down to the first dungeon, for that I see the first problem that IPS may had not noticed, I was back controlling side 1, I immediately gave back the control. For that I guessed then side 3 was IPS's side and the game misplaced the position of us replacing it to the "original/initial" one, for that I waited for green's turn to start. Obviously IPS saw it as MY side while I saw it as HIS side(Cousing a stop for a while), then I thought to give me the control; no way, it said it already was MY side(The server told me I was silly ;)), then I thought abput it a bit more complex, first give control to IPS, and then give it back to me. It worked perfectly but for one thing, now I could move, but he did move while I was giving myself the control that caused OOS. So, why did I say it worked perfectly? Because as IPS said, later we reloaded, on 1st turn, and gave myself control, but IPS did not move that unit, then, for that moment, it worked perfectly...

I just wonder if it is a problem for any MP campaign or just of this one.

Appart from that, I do not know if someone reported that if a henchman dies it reapears on the next scenario back in it's original level(If you "bought" him for a lvl 1 and he advanced, he was a lvl 1 again, zero Xp).

Meh, I am going to take a look at the multiplayer thing(maybe) with any other MPcampaign, to see if produces same OOS.
Exasperation

Post by Exasperation »

Thanks for the report, and I would appreciate it if you let me know how it works out with another MP campaign - if it's something to do with the engine, I probably can't fix it. As for the henchman issue, I could use a little more detail - had you reloaded from a saved game at any point before the henchman reappeared?