Wesband, MP dungeon-crawler (now for Wesnoth 1.9.14+ !)

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Wesband 0.2.1, right-click to go up/down, era+campaign merge

Post by Ken_Oh »

gigglestick wrote:1) While the Shyde heals 8 when she heals, my wizard only cures 4, even though the description in the ability says the wizard (white) should cure 8
Hmmm, well, we're working on the magic system. I'll look into that.
gigglestick wrote:2) Is there any way to make characters either:

a) move a number of actions until they enounter an enemy/ turn red or

b) have all of the characters move to a similar point.
The best way to move around like that is to click one hex further than the unit can move. That way you keep the focus on the unit and can move again. Also, hit ctrl+a to speed things up.
gigglestick wrote:Also, does it list which blades are light blades and which are heavy?
Hmm, totally didn't realize the weapon class isn't listen anywhere. Until I fix that, if a blade has "allow skirmisher" it's a light blade -except- for scimitar, which is a heavy blade.
gigglestick

Post by gigglestick »

OK, more questions

How do I sell potions?

How do I trade gold from one player to the other?

(BTW-great game. Exasperation showed it to me [he's in our friday night game group] and it's great for playing while I'm out of town or waiting in airports....5 hrs today...)
gigglestick

Post by gigglestick »

[quote="Ken_Oh"][quote="gigglestick"]
The best way to move around like that is to click one hex further than the unit can move. That way you keep the focus on the unit and can move again. Also, hit ctrl+a to speed things up.

[quote="gigglestick"]\quote]

quote]

Well, that doesn;t really speed them up much. I was hoping for a "click on this explored hex 5 moves away and move there" sort of thing.
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Can't sell potions (yet). You can trade by just agreeing on a price and using give (or drop, not sure if you can give usables yet).

About moving, no, that's a basic way the game works. I think you can zoom out somehow (not sure how or if that option is still available), but if you can then do that and click on the spot you want to go until you get there.
Exasperation

Post by Exasperation »

Re: healing - I noticed the discrepancy between healing as displayed in the ability and healing as actually performed after the last version was put up - I've already fixed it for the next version so the display and the amount healed will match.

Zooming out on the map is 0. The reason that a long-distance move command like that isn't possible is that there's currently no good way to get access to the path that the unit would follow to move from one point to another, so there's no way to check along that path to see if there's something there (or nearby) that would interrupt the movement (say, an enemy unit).

Transferring gold back and forth is done the same way transferring items is - move next to the other player, right click on them, choose 'give item', and there should be a 'transfer gold' option.
Golbeeze

Post by Golbeeze »

To make things go faster, go into the preferences and turn on accelerated speed to the max. Do like exasperation said and press 0 (the number zero) to zoom out so you can go across the map quickly.
My_Own_Minion: get rid of the scientist, i can take the blind guy

Talkative: You're like the Wizard of Oz, but evil.

Add-ons in 1.8: Golbeeze's Maps, Golbeeze's RPGs, Evolving Era
Contributor to and Maintainer of Mercenaries
Darkmage
Translator

Post by Darkmage »

Simplily I ought to congratulate everyone who has worked on this add-on because it is getting to be a brilliant work, amazing to play, days ago i went to the add-ons an i upgraded wesband, there are new things, and seems to be quite well balanced, with the new "fauna" i mean the units got from ageless era.

Also, i'm now playing with a DA, and the system for the minions is quite good, so as i read you are working on the magic system, so i tell you that if you need any feedback or other tipe of help, if is in my hands i would be glad to help.
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Darkmage wrote:with the new "fauna" i mean the units got from ageless era.
Actually, the ageless era got started right after we did all the work to convert the units into one system. If I knew someone else was going to do it all for me, I would have waited.

Thanks for the encouragement. This is actually a lot of fun.

As for input, I'm kind of at a point of decision for what to do with henchmen. Milking exp is an integral part of Wesnoth, however I think it's a shame that people do without henchmen simply because they'll lose exp. My mind is contemplating 2 options:

-rewards for using henchmen (maybe exp every time your hench gets a kill and/or rewards for when they level up...like, the total exp it took to level the unit up).
-just making the campaign so hard that you can't avoid using henchmen.

I'm not really satisfied with either option.

Anyway, back to coding summon elemental spells.
Darkmage
Translator

Post by Darkmage »

If you want my opinion, I was one of the ones who thought could do without henchman, and didn't feel like losing experience, but sometimes, you really need someone to help, anyway there are people who can go without hench, while others need, of course, having a henchman is supposed to be optional, so if you make the campaign so so hard to need a hench, you are forcing people to have one, which is not the original purpose of them, i guess the hench is just for help if needed, OR to compensate player's weakpoints, so, for example, elves tend to have low hitpoints, low strength, normal mind and high deft, and quick, so the hench should have strong melee or high HP, as well for my DA, with only 5MP 10-3 impact melee, and 7-3 blade melee, and 22-4 cold magic and 19-4 arcane magic, 117HP, what interests me now is to entrap a pair os souls both to explore, and one, for some melee support.

And the other idea of giving rewards with the hench kills, i don't see it, first, most of the system should be changed for that purpose, and i don't see it fair, if he gets the kill, he gets the xp, makes sense, and, personally, that's not my way...

So in conclussion, i think you can rise difficulty, but not much, i can play ok with and without henchmen, sometimes i trap a soul just to make de enemy attack there and heal myself, or some other times just because is ok, you may lose your lvl3 skeleton, and your zombie, and is not the end of the world because you can manage to keep on for the entire level, but after all, you feel your game is much more risky with no hench, you're ok but you feel like paying for a hench just to make your life easier, if you're in danger you can use the minion/hench as a shield, and don't feel so much pain because the hench wasn't so great. I hope i've explained myself.

Sorry for this looong thread.
Araja

Post by Araja »

Me and my friend got attacked by about 12 units in a corridor, with plenty of lvl2's to help them.
We died.

If it gets any harder than 3 man teams would be a neccesity for most players, and it's not exactly a common sight in the lobby to being with.
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Araja wrote:If it gets any harder than 3 man teams would be a neccesity for most players, and it's not exactly a common sight in the lobby to being with.
FYI, the number of enemies scales to how many players there are.
Golbeeze

Post by Golbeeze »

I like the idea of giving the player 1 or 2 XP per level per kill of the henchmen. It would give ME the incentive to use henchmen. I can't speak for others, of course.
My_Own_Minion: get rid of the scientist, i can take the blind guy

Talkative: You're like the Wizard of Oz, but evil.

Add-ons in 1.8: Golbeeze's Maps, Golbeeze's RPGs, Evolving Era
Contributor to and Maintainer of Mercenaries
Exasperation

Post by Exasperation »

How's this idea sound to people: give each henchman a levels_in_service variable which starts at 1 when they are hired/created. Whenever they level up/gain an amla, the variable gets 1 added to it. Whenever they get a kill, you get kill_xp*levels_in_service/(2*levels_in_service+6) xp. This means that a freshly hired henchman (whatever their level) gets you 1/8 of their kill xp, and as they gain levels that amount slowly grows towards (but never reaches) 1/2 of their kill xp. This gives an incentive to letting henchmen get some of the xp, and also makes henchmen more valuable the longer they're in your employ (a level 3 henchman that you just hired gets you 1/8 kill xp, while the same type of level 3 henchman that you've had since it was level 0 gets you 2/7 kill xp).

Code: Select all

LIS:   1    2    3    4    5     6    7     8     9    10
KXP:  1/8  1/5  1/4  2/7  5/16  1/3  7/20  4/11  3/8  5/13
LV0:   0    0    1    1    1     1    1     1     1    1
LV1:   1    1    2    2    2     2    2     2     3    3
LV2:   2    3    4    4    5     5    5     5     6    6
LV3:   3    4    6    6    7     8    8     8     9    9
Araja

Post by Araja »

Ken_Oh wrote:FYI, the number of enemies scales to how many players there are.
Oh, I've only played in pairs so I never would have noticed.
Well then, I'll change to "You can get swarmed and crushed so easily, I don't think the difficulty needs increasing"
:)
daniel.santos

Post by daniel.santos »

First let me say very nice mod! And now a few bugs & suggestions:
  1. There are several inconsistencies between magical orders' advertised spell damage and actual.
    1. Human Magical Initiate & Silver Order advertises 5-2 attack. Actual at Mind level 8 (for Initiate) is 6-2 and at Mind level 15 (for Silver Order) 7-2. (Coded 4-2 base).
    2. Human Red Order advertises 5-1 attack. Actual at Mind level 10 (when available) is 8-1. (Coded 6-1 base).
    3. Human White Order advertises 8-1 attack. Actual at Mind level 12 (when available) is 11-0. (Coded 8-0 base).
    4. Human Elder Order advertises 3-(-1) attack. Actual at Mind level 20 (when available) is 13-0. (Coded 5-0 base).
    5. Human Dark Magic advertises 9-1 and 6-1, respectively. Attacks are consistent at Mind level 8 (when usually available). However, when accessed via the rogue template, it can be activated at Mind level 5, and at that time, attacks are 8-1 and 5-1, respectively. (Coded 8-1 and 5-1, respectively)
    6. Dwarf Rune Magic advertises 3-1 attack. Actual at Mind level 7 (when available) is 5-1. (Coded 3-1 base).
    7. Elf Faerie Magic attacks are consistent with advertised values values at Mind level 6 (when available). (Coded 2-3 base).
    8. Elf Troll Magic attacks are also consistent with advertised values values at Mind level 8 (when available). (Coded 5-2 base).
    In short, the advertised values should either reflect exactly what is coded or exactly what the Mind-adjusted values are at the level they become available -- either one will be consistent, except using the later value for the Silver Order. To solve the inconsistency between rogue and other human class templates, perhaps require mind level 8 (instead of 5) for Dark Magic?
  2. (minor) Text for Magical Initiate and Silver Order changes from "5-1 fire" to "5-2 fire" when it becomes available.
  3. (suggestion) Display the bonus per Mind level for each order's attacks.
  4. (suggestion) Use {VARIABLE} instead of {VARIABLE_OP current_unit.variables.abilities.human_magic add x} when changing magic class to avoid confusion and/or mistakes.
  5. (suggestion) Offer a "peasant" (or equiv) class template for human, elf and dwarf. This would have no starting abilities or equipment, but gold and talent points equal to the average value of the other class templates (i.e., 50 gold plus the average value of starting equipment for other classes and the average number of talent points it takes to make each class template).
  6. (suggestion) Gender Inclusion!! I just got my gf started on Wesnoth, but she's not hooked yet! It's not nearly female-friendly enough. You can help! Allow a choice of genders for *every* class, even if the only thing that changes are the sounds. (Highly recommended book! Gender Inclusive Game Design: Expanding the Market). This is something that Wesnoth needs to do a better job of in general, IMO.
  7. (suggestion) Either lower the experience penalty for trolls or add more abilities. The regeneration is a tremendous boon, but I still believe they are over-penalized. I wouldn't recommend reducing penalties to deft, mind or non-impact weapons -- I think that part is perfect. But if not adding any other abilities or boons, I would say to lower the experience penalty to between 17% and 20%.
  8. (suggestion) A character sheet where you can see all of your character's skills and equipped items. This should display their stats with the details of how they got there (each bonus & penalty).
Thanks again, very fun mod!