New campaign: Return from Captivity, for 2 players

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

verkalt

Re: New campaign: Return from Captivity, for 2 players

Post by verkalt »

hello, guys.
im new to the forum, but not new to wesnoth.
played it a long time ago and now ive returned.
i love this game!!!

recently ive started this campaign. me and my friend are LOVING it. its the most well designed campaign ever. the scenarios are realy though and fun to play.
but we cant handle scenario 2. lol

yes, yes. you will say we are noobs. but, whatever. we just want help.
its not dificult to secure the cave entrances, nor kill the enemies that aproach.

but we just cant break out of the cave and kill the enemy leaders before time runs out.
and we cant reach the fancy book on the northern rooms of the cave.

any tips and advices that could help us?

and sory if my english is bad. im brazilian :D
xanthos

Post by xanthos »

Scenario 2 tips:

Don't worry about getting out of the cave. Set up units at the entrances with healers behind them. The goal is to take as little damage as possible. Only attack when you will not take damage and never put a unit that can die on the front line. For dwarves get a bunch of thunderers as there are many drakes to deal with. I got three thunderers fully leveled from just this scenario. (and a few dwarf lords)

First try to kill the trolls. The elves should try to take as little damage as possible from the trolls why the dwarves do most of the killing. Once the trolls are out of the way dwarves can recruit more and head off for the undead. I found that putting my dwarf lord leader a few tiles north of the village completly blocked the undead and they refused to attack my leader so they wern't a problem at all. If the book can be grabbed by turn 30 killing everyone else should not be a problem. But make sure to split your army and head for as many leaders as possible at once. I recomend sending elves NW first then splitting part south and part east to try to take out those leaders. Dwarves can send a few units West to kill the trolls then north to help elves with the orcs. the rest of the dwarves can split SE and SW, thunderers SE and fighters SW.

The only two units I lost this scenario were a thunderer who couldn't escape fast enough into the cave and a scout who died when it killed the first unit to attack it letting the ai get two units on him in one turn.
xanthos

Post by xanthos »

My thoughts on RfC (the scenario numbers could be wrong, but I think I got them right)

First two scenarios were quite good even if there is a slight plot discontinuity where the characters get to the middle of the second map before everyone tries to attack.

Third scenario, tidal river scenario, was pretty good due to it being different than normal gameplay. The skeletons were able to sneak up on me a few times thanks to their submerge ability, but that was as expected and possibly by design. I found the impassible mountains a little annoying and didn't really see their point other than to make the last leader harder to get to. I think it might be better to put a lich there and get rid of those mountains. Either way, it was still a lot of fun.

Fourth scenario, save the forest:
I really enjoyed this scenario due to the strategy being very different from normal strategy. My teammate and I decided that we were going to save the wose leader this time. (We played that scenario a few other times and never were able to come close to saving the wose leader) We were successful at preventing the death of the wose leader. We also lost minimal units ourselves. I only lost a few freshly recruited scouts that i recruited for the purposes of getting to the wose faster and my teammate only lost a few scouts that he got for the same purpose. The enemy was able to harvest between 2/3 and 3/4 of the forest tiles before we finally killed everyone. I don't remember exactly how it worked but I thought that in the past we got a bonus for each forest we saved. In the past we had saved quite a bit of the forest (3/4 or more saved) but this time we didn't because we chose to save the wose leader.

I think there should be a bonus for saving the wose leader. Possibilities include: (in decreasing preference order)
getting bonus gold for each saved forest tile but only if you save the wose leader
getting a loyal wose to continue on with you
getting a set gold bonus

Fifth scenario, land of the dragons:
I also enjoyed this scenario (reoccuring theme...) It wasn't too had to stop the drakes at the beginning for me (dwarves) due to my favorable terrain and superior drake killing ability but it was hard for my teammate. Perhaps delay the drakes for the elf side another turn or two to let them prepare their defenses better as he was attacked turn 2.

once we took care of all the leaders we positioned our leaders close to the end of the map and waited until the last turn to win. we spent the rest of the time killing nightghaunts. I leveled a mage all the way to mage of light this map and another from white mage to mage of light. i also amlaed two of my mages of light. (i ended the scenario with 3 mages of light and 1 great mage, started with 1 mage, 1 white mage, 1 mage of light, 1 arch mage) i also leveled the rest of my units to their last level. it was quite a bit of expierence.
while it was nice to get that expierence, i think you should somehow prenent people from getting too much that way. a possibility would be to limit the number of nightghaunts that can be triggered. You would want it sufficiently high that its impractical to skip the entire map by just killing all the nighghaunts then walking down the path. Perhaps have the number of nightghaunts that can spawn decrease after each leader is killed.
we also were unable to finish this scenario. I had to edit the save file in order to get it to move on to the next one. we got our leaders sufficiently far into the SE corner (based on the scenario.cfg) to trigger a victory, but it didn't happen.

Sixth scenario, freezing river:
Not bad, I like that the objective really reflects what your trying to do, escape, not kill everyone. (even if we did kill everyone anyway, why waste the xp)

Seventh scenario, invisible undead cave:
Not too bad but the two gold chests seemed to be much easier to access with the elf units. perhaps move one of them to the tunnels in the NE. finished on turn 96 so I would say the turn limit is pretty much where it should be.

Eighth scenario, labyrinth:
Kind of annoying but not too bad. There is one problem with it. I once had a spectre spawn in the middle of my army, where I expected no enemies to be able to get to. This is either a bug and should be fixed or is by design and if so the players should probably be notified of it. It was a fairly easy scenario and there was a lot of xp to give to my lower leveled units. I do not feel that i even needed 12 units as almost half of them did almost nothing until right at the end when I was waiting for my partner to get to the end.

Ninth scenario, desert:
currently playing this one. perhaps it would be helpful to explain what exactly the rules about being thirsty are. I haven't been able to figure out what they are yet as they seem inconsistent.
Insinuator

Post by Insinuator »

I started playing through this campaign with a friend of mine recently. I have a couple of things to say about it.

The second level seems very difficult. My friend and I had to try three times to hold off the initial onslaught. Even once we got the upper hand, it took a long time to break back out of the caves and hunt down the remnants of enemy forces. Particularly the Orcs in the NE corner. The swamp near their keep held our forces off three turns till the end!

The third level has a bug in it. After the story mode plays, the game reports this error: Could not get image for terrain:xx
It also said that I should mention this in the bug report: Condition 'false' failed at src\minimap.cpp:91 in function 'getMinimap'.
The campaign then crashes.
geronime

Post by geronime »

Hello,

I was also unable to finish the 5th scenario. How should I edit the savegame to proceed to the next level?

Thanks
geronime

Post by geronime »

To complete the 5th level when the win condition does not trigger just change appropriate victory_when_enemies_defeated=no to yes in the savegame and next turn makes you victorious. I am playing this campaign on 1.9.12+svn version.
Njord

Post by Njord »

I'm really enjoying this campaign. I'm playing both the elves and the dwarves sides alternately. I've come across 2 problems so far, the second one I can't figure out.
First, in the early crossing the river scenario, the weapons in the river disappeared after a few rounds, as well as the icons for the two ships. I wrote down their square numbers and luckily everything worked ok when I landed on them, even though they were invisible.

But second,
Spoiler:
Thanks for the great campaign.

I'm playing on 1.10.2 with a Mac OSX 10.5.8
Njord

Post by Njord »

Ahh, sorry, I just located the two runes. Either they were fogged over or I'm really losing it.
dsotr

9th scenario

Post by dsotr »

Hi guys,
first of all thanks for the campaign, it's great!

I'm stuck at 9th scenario: I've "opened sesame" but it seems there is no visible door I can use to get to the middle of the map. Can anybody give me a hint? should I just walk around until I find something?

thanks a lot!
bobby_brown

Post by bobby_brown »

Hello all,

Nice campaign, we're having fun here with it... ..but found a bug.

running wesnoth 1.11.5 so I don't know if it's still interesting to report, but
in Level 5 the flaming sword event trigers but the attack does not appear for the unit.
adding a

Code: Select all

[filter]
id="$unit.id"
[/filter]
and commenting the remove_attack effect makes it work for me.

Looking at the code I wondered how making a new attack and then removing it could work. Only, refering to the source in Httt I tried using

type=blade
instead of

name=sword
but that didn't work either.

Also, not knowing if this is intended, the three backstabing ghosts have appeared at least 8 times so far.

For what it is worth.

cheers,
bobby_brown
trewe
Translator

Post by trewe »

bobby_brown wrote:Hello all,
running wesnoth 1.11.5 so I don't know if it's still interesting to report, but
in Level 5 the flaming sword event trigers but the attack does not appear for the unit.
Thanks for reporting it. Looks like some grammar change in 1.11.
Also, not knowing if this is intended, the three backstabing ghosts have appeared at least 8 times so far.
Can you provide the savefile? To some extend that is supposed to happen, but in the other hand it should be nigh impossible to trigger that many times.
For what it is worth.

cheers,
bobby_brown
Glad you enjoyed t.
dragonold

Post by dragonold »

Hello, Im new in the forum, but Im not new in the game.

I have a problem when I pass the second stage. Look the image.
Attachments
Error RFC
Error RFC
shaldos

Post by shaldos »

I love your scenario. I finally managed to get through the second one after a really long time, but it was fun. Thank you!

The only thing I really miss is, that I can not recall my units from prior scenarios (eg the first or second one). That kind of breaks it for me, since I would really want to be able to have some of the strong units I leveld before again.
Is there a way to make this happen? Or something I can change on my own do get there?

Greetings
H-Hour

Post by H-Hour »

Multiplayer campaigns must be saved and loaded in a particular way or else the level'd units will be lost. See this thread for tips on how to do this.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

i am playing right now the second scenario and i found some flaws?
the ghost, bats and drakes can fly into the cave through the hex 15,29
it is annoyning when a whole drake army attacks you from within, supported by bats and ghosts :(
correction: there seems to be at least one other hex where the drakes can enter, i just cant see it yet, will update when its visible
btw. i have got as enemy leaders in the cave a goblin & a necrophage
if i remeber correctly it should have been a Troll and a dark sorcerer
also the book isnt there...
how can i fix this?