Ladder Site Online...

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Post Reply
User avatar
cookie
Posts: 171
Joined: December 21st, 2010, 6:57 am

Re: Ladder Site Online...

Post by cookie »

Doc Paterson wrote:I'm actually not sure if we'll be needing any more council volunteers. I think we have a strong base now, and honestly, we can't take just anybody. I want veterans and masters! ;)
I fit there! HIRE ME TOO! I WANT IN! PICK ME!!
Bye says the cookie.

User avatar
tekelili
Posts: 1038
Joined: August 19th, 2009, 9:28 pm

Re: Ladder Site Online...

Post by tekelili »

After an oponent made me lost my nerves I becomed to think that may be a "ladder behavior guide" quite visible on ladder page would be a good idea. It mostly could be resumed as "try to be a decent human being", but it looks like for some people it is not evident how do it. I want mostly point a frecunt behavior: Complaining about bad luck.

I find understable that every player can feel himself very bad about how rng wiped his/her chances in a game. I also find understable from human behavior that sometimes you cant avoid look for emphaty and use game chat to show your hurted soul. But frecuent complaining in almost every game about any attack that went with a low chance of misses is IMHO a badly behavior.

I think is disrespetfull to your oponent for several reasons. You are negating him value to his game skill (and victory if happens), as it looks that just "rng cursing you" was reason for your defeat. It is also disrespetfull because your oponent is going to have the same undesirable outcomes from rng, if not in that game, in any other, and is not fair for him have to read very often that "rng just curses you". And finally, frecuent complaings in same game looks like your only target is make your oponent feel bad and I think all ladder players should be looking for make games an ejoyable experience.

This behavior can hurt so much, that can even push a guy to post here complaining about it :mrgreen:
Be aware English is not my first language and I could have explained bad myself using wrong or just invented words.
World Conquest II

User avatar
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer
Posts: 1973
Joined: February 21st, 2005, 9:37 pm
Location: Kazakh
Contact:

Re: Ladder Site Online...

Post by Doc Paterson »

tekelili wrote:After an oponent made me lost my nerves I becomed to think that may be a "ladder behavior guide" quite visible on ladder page would be a good idea. It mostly could be resumed as "try to be a decent human being", but it looks like for some people it is not evident how do it. I want mostly point a frecunt behavior: Complaining about bad luck.

I find understable that every player can feel himself very bad about how rng wiped his/her chances in a game. I also find understable from human behavior that sometimes you cant avoid look for emphaty and use game chat to show your hurted soul. But frecuent complaining in almost every game about any attack that went with a low chance of misses is IMHO a badly behavior.

I think is disrespetfull to your oponent for several reasons. You are negating him value to his game skill (and victory if happens), as it looks that just "rng cursing you" was reason for your defeat. It is also disrespetfull because your oponent is going to have the same undesirable outcomes from rng, if not in that game, in any other, and is not fair for him have to read very often that "rng just curses you". And finally, frecuent complaings in same game looks like your only target is make your oponent feel bad and I think all ladder players should be looking for make games an ejoyable experience.

This behavior can hurt so much, that can even push a guy to post here complaining about it :mrgreen:
Well said. I've found that it's easy to spot guys like the one you described by looking to see if they have a 4 for their sportsmanship. It's shockingly difficult to get an overall/average sportsmanship of 4, and if somebody with a lot of games managed that, you can assume that they complain about luck a real lot. It's funny too, because I had an example in my mind, which ended up being the very guy you described: http://ladder.subversiva.org/profile.ph ... I_Draculea

Guys like that will give you a 5 as long as you agree with them that you won because of luck.
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme

User avatar
Rigor
Posts: 941
Joined: September 27th, 2007, 1:40 am

Re: Ladder Site Online...

Post by Rigor »

i will do that as soon as we have the next map pack version and post it together. i also thought of vlad as soon as i read what u have written.

The Black Sword
Posts: 373
Joined: October 13th, 2008, 4:35 pm

Re: Ladder Site Online...

Post by The Black Sword »

lol, I remember when I first joined the ladder I gave pretty much everyone 3s for sportsmanship, the odd 4 if they were really nice. Somehow it has transitioned to 5s for everyone :D .

Scatha
Posts: 111
Joined: March 29th, 2008, 2:55 pm

Re: Ladder Site Online...

Post by Scatha »

I think that that kind of rating inflation is a consequence of publicly visible individual ratings. If you give high ratings to people they are more likely to rate you highly, so there is incentive to give high ratings. This might be averted by not making individual game scores visible, but that has a various other problems ...

User avatar
Paxe
Posts: 34
Joined: January 14th, 2008, 9:02 am
Location: Madrid

Re: Ladder Site Online...

Post by Paxe »

Doc Paterson wrote:It's funny too, because I had an example in my mind, which ended up being the very guy you described: http://ladder.subversiva.org/profile.ph ... I_Draculea

Guys like that will give you a 5 as long as you agree with them that you won because of luck.
Good night everyone
I think is not fair pointing this guy. I have been playing Wesnoth lot of time and I can tell you that everybody, (yes, I wrote everybody) has sometime justify his/her no victory because of bad luck. When you have more experience playing you get to realize that this game is not only a question of luck is much more than this... You all should now.

This happens allways at first playing ladder games (this guy is new at ladder). I invite all players to check first ladder games of any player and check their commentaries.

Other thing is bad manners and bad words using... But this is simple solution: do not play anymore with that player.

This is my way of thinking

Have a nice weekend

Sincerely

Paxe
Best computer game ever played?...... Wesnoth, The Battle for Wesnoth, of course!

User avatar
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer
Posts: 1973
Joined: February 21st, 2005, 9:37 pm
Location: Kazakh
Contact:

Re: Ladder Site Online...

Post by Doc Paterson »

Paxe wrote:
Doc Paterson wrote:It's funny too, because I had an example in my mind, which ended up being the very guy you described: http://ladder.subversiva.org/profile.ph ... I_Draculea

Guys like that will give you a 5 as long as you agree with them that you won because of luck.
Good night everyone
I think is not fair pointing this guy. I have been playing Wesnoth lot of time and I can tell you that everybody, (yes, I wrote everybody) has sometime justify his/her no victory because of bad luck. When you have more experience playing you get to realize that this game is not only a question of luck is much more than this... You all should now.

This happens allways at first playing ladder games (this guy is new at ladder). I invite all players to check first ladder games of any player and check their commentaries.

Other thing is bad manners and bad words using... But this is simple solution: do not play anymore with that player.

This is my way of thinking

Have a nice weekend

Sincerely

Paxe
"Everybody does it" is a terrible argument (and for what it's worth, *not* everybody does it). Obviously when we refer to specific individuals as being badly behaved, we speak in context, relative to other players that we've interacted with. I personally feel that this guy has no redeeming qualities- being consistently insulting and rude, complaining about maps, complaining about factions, complaining about luck, calling people, maps, and/or situations,"gay" (which drives me crazy)...... etc.
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme

Huumy
Posts: 292
Joined: October 15th, 2009, 9:52 pm

Re: Ladder Site Online...

Post by Huumy »

Sup.
Some people are always bad mannered, in a open ladder system like wesnoth you can just not play with them.

Anyway I just came here to say you can kick me out of the map counsil (if you haven't already). Atm I'm taking a break from wesnoth to be honest I just find starcraft 2 be more interesting to me and more competive and less luck based (not much but still slightly). I will still be playing some occasional games on wesnoth ladder.

Before I "go" I just wanted to say that playing on wesnoth ladder have been a great joy. When I started playing the ladder I was first afraid :) it was my first experience playing a strategy game in system that ranks you and I was serious about getting up the ranks. I don't remember what exactly happened in my first games but I remember my first games went 1-2 to player named ScoutShine (I hope I got it right) he is/was 1700 or 1800 player (he was really nice btw). I loved the nervous feeling when playing some1 high ranked player, and after close wins after some really good players I had hard time not crying for joy. Of course there was also the stupid losses after them I would shake my fists in anger or take a short walk :) before playing more.

Anyway I just want to remind people that this game is awesome! :) Not just the game, the community is awesome there's so many good mannered and nice players out there that I have shared my wesnoth experience with I just want to thank you every single one. I've always tried to be good mannered but I've had my bad days, I'm sorry if I offended any1. Sorry about the finnish translate thing :( I just didn't have enough self-discipline.

I have the worst sense of time. I think I have played wesnoth 2-4 years now and will continue to play (lot less tho). Just wanted to say it have been great to "see" so many good fellows during those years :)

Ps. The game truly takes 5 mins to learn but a lifetime to master :)

Edited in ScoutShine instead of Cylon_Centurion :D
Last edited by Huumy on May 29th, 2011, 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
"And the girl that you want is directly out in front, And she’s waving her caboose at you, You sneeze achoo, She calls you out and boom!"
The offspring, trolling you since forever.

User avatar
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer
Posts: 1973
Joined: February 21st, 2005, 9:37 pm
Location: Kazakh
Contact:

Re: Ladder Site Online...

Post by Doc Paterson »

Huumy wrote: Anyway I just came here to say you can kick me out of the map counsil (if you haven't already).
Well, you were a Royal Advisor, and will be, forevermore. The title stays. ;)
Huumy wrote: I remember my first games went 1-2 to player named Cylon_Centurion (I hope I got it right) he is/was 1700 or 1800 player (he was really nice btw).
Who, this guy? http://ladder.subversiva.org/profile.ph ... _Centurion

He's trouble. 8)

Anyways.....

You will be missed!

I'm glad you're not quitting altogether, so hopefully we'll still see you around from time to time.
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme

User avatar
cookie
Posts: 171
Joined: December 21st, 2010, 6:57 am

Re: Ladder Site Online...

Post by cookie »

Huumy wrote: Atm I'm taking a break from wesnoth to be honest I just find starcraft 2 be more interesting to me and more competive and less luck based (not much but still slightly). I will still be playing some occasional games on wesnoth ladder.

I have the worst sense of time. I think I have played wesnoth 2-4 years now and will continue to play (lot less tho). Just wanted to say it have been great to "see" so many good fellows during those years :)
HUMMYY BUMMYY!! You're leaving it the same time I am! Co-incidently.
HAha You will be missed! Who else will know about Willy? :(
At least you didnt waste so much time. I prolly wasted over 5 years. :?

And I know I am an awesomee fellow ^^

Also Cylon_Centurion is a genius! Prolly one of the kindest people around on the server. Perhaps Hummy should know the secret of Cylon? *HINT HINT*

You play starcraftt?? :OOOO maybe we would see each other in the game and not know itt !
Bye says the cookie.

Huumy
Posts: 292
Joined: October 15th, 2009, 9:52 pm

Re: Ladder Site Online...

Post by Huumy »

Who, this guy? http://ladder.subversiva.org/profile.ph ... _Centurion
Ups, wrong guy I didn't check it just and I remembered it wrong :)
It was this guy :) ScoutShine
You play starcraftt??
My Starcraft account is Rasvapallo and character code 764 it's EU account. Actually I'm playing 2v2s with some1 who I met on wesnoth :)
I'm glad you're not quitting altogether, so hopefully we'll still see you around from time to time.
I'll be active forum member still :)
"And the girl that you want is directly out in front, And she’s waving her caboose at you, You sneeze achoo, She calls you out and boom!"
The offspring, trolling you since forever.

Gallifax
Posts: 131
Joined: October 23rd, 2006, 5:36 pm
Location: Who cares?

Re: Ladder Site Online...

Post by Gallifax »

Edit:Questions answered.
Last edited by Gallifax on June 2nd, 2011, 8:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Gambit
Loose Screw
Posts: 3266
Joined: August 13th, 2008, 3:00 pm
Location: Dynamica
Contact:

Re: Ladder Site Online...

Post by Gambit »

Gallifax wrote:"Maybe this guy is very good (I dont know how much since he got better rng also). BUT HE IS REALLY REALLY ANNOYING (at least for me). If there is less than "lousy conduct" he will get it ... Hope you will be nice with another players"

Here is the replay , maybe others can tell me what else is there more to say than gg and bye bye. Not aware of having insulted you at any point, Shorty. But maybe you can eleborate your point.
I would prefer, if this discussion is going to involve any sort of argument or heat, that it would take place privately.

wisefighter
Posts: 1
Joined: June 4th, 2011, 11:58 am

Re: Ladder Site Online...

Post by wisefighter »

Hello guys,

attached please find a good example of non existent sportsmanship in a ladder match.
druid_log1.png
druid_log2.png
It's a great pity that this kind of people belong to ladder ... :shock:

Post Reply