The Archive of HODOR

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Turuk
Sithslayer

Re: The Archive of HODOR

Post by Turuk »

Des wrote:I understand a ladder alias by the name of HODOR has beaten several decent players on the ladder. I believe that player to have superior skill in general than his opponents, which explains his incredibly good win percentage (probably a developer).
I'm a bit surprised that no one has put two and two together on this one, but oh well.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Des

Post by Des »

Turuk wrote:I'm a bit surprised that no one has put two and two together on this one, but oh well.
I always thought it was Gallifax.
Redrock Gulch (Winter 2009 Map Contest Submission)

To rely on rustics and not prepare is the greatest of crimes; to be prepared beforehand for any contingency is the greatest of Virtues. - Sun Tzu, The Art of War
donkey_noob_trash1

Post by donkey_noob_trash1 »

ElvenKing wrote:
donkey_noob_trash1 wrote:Furthermore, I have used HODOR tactics to beat several highly ranked ladder opponents, including Elven King, Sweet (twice), WackererWichtel, and Zarak (a top 10 player, at one point). To say that HODOR cannot be used against even highly tallented players to good effect is a statement that has been repeatedly disproven.
I'd be careful about using highly ranked ladder players as examples. The ladder rankings are widely known as being somewhat inaccurate when actually compared with player skill. For instance, I'm not really that good; I reckon that I only play well in at most a quarter of my games. And from what I've seen Sweet still has a lot to learn(it has been a few weeks since I've seen Sweet play though). Haven't seen WackererWichtel play so I can't comment. Zarak is pretty good though.

I don't think Noy ever said that HODOR wasn't a viable strategy against top level players. Just that it might be a good idea to learn to play the basic game better, rather than focusing on HODOR all the time. I do agree it was a very combative(although I guess this is Noy were taking about, so that's probably not unusual) and strange, considering the the light-hearted tone of the thread, way to give advice; it makes me think that he wasn't being entirely serious.
Good post here, EK. Yah, I have my doubts about the ladder system as well, since I was able to make it into the top 15 briefly O_o. No way I should ever make it that high.

Regarding the Noy thing, yah, I don't know if he was serious or not. Seems like he usually is, though. That's my concern about him. I feel that maybe he should lighten up a bit, since most people view this as a game to be played for fun. If he was being serious, my problem is that he intruded on the forum topic itself to offer advice on my skill (when no advice was asked for)... which is apparently not up to scratch. At least, that's how it came across. I didn't appreciate it :|
"Oh noes, I'm trapped by corporeal beings!" -Caphriel (in a discussion about ghosts and ZoC)
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Donkey_noob_trash1, I believe we had a conversation about your issue with Noy already, a week ago through PMs. It is over and done with, and you are only restating yet again what you said previously. Leave it alone.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
inkblot

Post by inkblot »

Since i'm a bit of a noob, can someone tell me exactly how he screwed up?
donkey_noob_trash1

donkey_noob_trash1 wrote:HODOR now in top 10! :shock:
Now up to 7th, as of May 1st.

*ahem*

HODOR!!!!
"Oh noes, I'm trapped by corporeal beings!" -Caphriel (in a discussion about ghosts and ZoC)
donkey_noob_trash1

Hello everyone :) I just thought that I'd upload HODOR's recent victory over MidNightExpress. Classic blitzkrieg HODORism.

:eng:

Enjoy!

Oh, and HODOR is still in top 10!!
MidNightExpress

Post by MidNightExpress »

Well, HODOR is a very interesting style and this was my first time I met it. :D

Now I'm thinking of using this in one of my future games... hope, it won't be my usual luck of -20 inflicted :lol2:

As I understand, HODOR is awesome against Knalgans (who haven't any mages) - but what about undead with their plenty of skeletons? Using footpads as main force? won't it negate the effectiveness of core - thief?
Caphriel

Post by Caphriel »

MidNight, a Knalgan in a mirror match can meet HODOR with HODOR (which I have seen several times and usually leads to epic games!)
donkey_noob_trash1

MidNightExpress wrote:Well, HODOR is a very interesting style and this was my first time I met it. :D

Now I'm thinking of using this in one of my future games... hope, it won't be my usual luck of -20 inflicted :lol2:

As I understand, HODOR is awesome against Knalgans (who haven't any mages) - but what about undead with their plenty of skeletons? Using footpads as main force? won't it negate the effectiveness of core - thief?
Hey Mid-Night, hope you don't think that I was making a statement about you or your playing skills. As you can see, there are many, many replays on here with wins against good opponents that DO know what HODOR is.

As for your comment about the effectiveness of UD vs HODOR, I suggest you watch my first encounter with HODOR from the server. I was one of his first ladder victims. You will get to see just how well the adept spam works vs HODOR. Not that I was a great player at that time.

Oh, and I suggest that you DO try out HODOR some time. As you can see from the archives, many people have used it to great effect. Takes a little getting used to. Good luck, and make sure to post your replay!
MidNightExpress

Post by MidNightExpress »

Well... I tried )
but my first experience was so disgraceful, so I will not put replay here...

Thanks for the advice, I'll check some replays.

PS
In my country there is a ex-businessman, who tried to became a politician and was imprisoned.
His last name is Khodorkovskiy, but public usually call him Hodor )
Quite funny, isn't it? )
jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by jb »

Some of you may wonder where HODOR playing style came from. That would basically be Becephalus and I. He had an irrational love for thieves, and I had an irrational love for poachers. And we started shunning dwarfs just to be different.

But where did the real actual HODOR come from?

http://grrm.livejournal.com/90255.html
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
The Altaz Mariners - with Bob the Mighty
donkey_noob_trash1

JB, you are instantly my hero. Er, one of them...

And what is this "irrational" love you speak of? What's not to love about thieves and poachers? My love for them gets me out of bed in the morning...
Lathai

Post by Lathai »

Actually a random vs. random, but when I saw I was knalgans with a rogue leader I decided to try out a hodor style.

So, here's a casual hodorism game. I'm pretty new to multiplayer so constructive criticism would be nice. I started off with just thieves and footpads, but when I say drakes I figured poachers might be prudent.
Attachments
Caves_Basilisk_replay.gz
(48.15 KiB) Downloaded 270 times
palloco

Post by palloco »

I rarely played hodor style, but I think you are missing the main point: swarming
Hodor is not about building your defence. It is about advancing. Sometimes without caring if the unit is going to be killed, but if it does get killed, it would be because the the enemy gets exposed. Remember the cost of you units and the costs of the enemy units.
You were far too slow, you could have advanced a lot in turns 3-4, but you didnt. You've lost initiative here.
After that you didnt advance at all. Why? You have more units, your economy gets ruined doing that.
You got lucky the next day, and your opponent didn't know how to deal with it or how to recruit.
You ignored the centre of the map: you have to create as many fronts as possible.
I would have shifted my main forces to one side, in this case the right, as there are more villages there.

But congrats, you're on the right track.