The Archive of HODOR

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

TheMasterOfBattle

Re: The Archive of HODOR

Post by TheMasterOfBattle »

yay, hodor is back! May his awesomeness never dim!

May the Hodor be with you donkey_noob_trash1. :)
donkey_noob_trash1

Post by donkey_noob_trash1 »

Yes, I am carrying the torch until the one true HODOR returns to the ladder.

Here's a recent game of mine on the Freelands against a somewhat good opponent who gets an early edge on me with some nastily good luck. But... the power of HODOR cannot be undone...
donkey_vs_sweet-_the_end.gz
(27.59 KiB) Downloaded 423 times
"Oh noes, I'm trapped by corporeal beings!" -Caphriel (in a discussion about ghosts and ZoC)
Foolsgold

Post by Foolsgold »

Here's a 1v1 win recorded earlier today (my first Hodor win) on Caves of The Basilisk against Knalgans. Starting gold was 200.

I quickly crushed the majority of my opponent's forces and gained an economic stranglehold. After that, a brave attempt to cut through the centre and reach my leader was eventually defused and I took the victory (although I tried hard to throw it away against a dwarven stalwart). Some of my play was pretty careless at times and my opponent had just returned from a 2 year hiatus, but it's the thought that counts :P .
Attachments
Foolsgold.vs.dragondrop-Round1.gz
(23.3 KiB) Downloaded 411 times
donkey_noob_trash1

Yay! HODOR is back on the ladder! He is now ranked again! Woooot!

:D
"Oh noes, I'm trapped by corporeal beings!" -Caphriel (in a discussion about ghosts and ZoC)
donkey_noob_trash1

Well, ladies and gents, here it is- another sacraficial lamb in the name of all-mighty HODOR. Ladder game on Weldyn against a noobish opponent. However, he did make a number of good tactical maneuvers. His problem was mostly that he lost his expensive/powerful units early, and couldn't replace them later, because I had taken over several villages.

donkey_vs_solange1_(1).gz
(19.17 KiB) Downloaded 331 times
Anyways... enjoy!

p.s.
So nice to see HODOR ranked again on the ladder. I hope to see HODOR eventually make it in or near the top 10.
donkey_noob_trash1

Everyone... your attention please... I'd like to present (drum roll) the first ever team Operation H.O.D.O.R. replay. Enjoy, and as always, may the Hodor be with you :)

~donkey

OPERATION_TEAM_HODOR.gz
(17.38 KiB) Downloaded 391 times
TheMasterOfBattle

Post by TheMasterOfBattle »

I was there to watch it, the opposers of HODOR never stood a chance. :)

LONG LIVE HODOR!
Foolsgold

Post by Foolsgold »

I have a handful of new replays which I hope will be of some interest to the legions of Hodor appreciators that I know are out there :P .

Contained are 8 replays. I can't be bothered to describe them all so I'll talk about my favourites.

There's a second Team Operation H.O.D.O.R match I recorded with donkey_noob_trash. This was much more interesting than the first match due to some slightly better opponents, and we came perilously close to defeat. Good thing I had donkey to advise me, really...

The match against Dydy is also worth a mention. It was on a massive randomly generated map and the gold settings had been pumped up, with the result that I had around 60 outlaws of all kinds by the end of the match compared to about 20 units on the opposing team. The recruitment patterns of my Rebel opponent were unconventional to say the least. Apart from a small handful of fighters near the start, he bought nothing but scouts and woses, with disastrous consequences for him. He disconnected on turn 15 when I had approx. 30/38 villages. Worth watching for the hordes, even if I didn't get to use many of them.

Finally, a few replays contain defeats for the armies of Hodor (boo! hiss!). The first of these was a match against franz on Silverhead where I took up arms against the Hodoric forces (as Rebels) and after some terrible early game movement almost cost myself the match by taking a village in the water with my leader, leaving myself exposed to the wrath of Hodor with only 20% def. I can only assume that the RNG was angered by the presence of a thunderer in the ranks of what was otherwise a Hodoric army 8) .

The second defeat was against joueur on Sulla's Ruins (is that the name?). I would normally hesitate to diminish my standing in the eyes of Hodor by posting a defeat, but this was the unluckiest defeat of my (short) career to date, and I think that no description can do it justice. I don't know how I could played to avoid the outcome, but maybe a better player would have been able to do something. See how joueur adds insult to injury by letting me think I'm going to get a chance to assassinate his leader. The foes of Hodor are vile indeed :wink:.
Attachments
HODOR_Forever.zip
(159.86 KiB) Downloaded 319 times
donkey_noob_trash1

TheMasterOfBattle wrote:I was there to watch it, the opposers of HODOR never stood a chance. :)

LONG LIVE HODOR!
This guy is too awesome. :D

Thanks for the support TMOB! Or should I call you Silent Death?
donkey_noob_trash1

Foolsgold wrote:
Good thing I had donkey to advise me, really...
An ironic statement, considering it was Foolsgold's leader alone that managed to survive. I haven't watched the replay yet, but I don't remember advising him all that much anyways. Take some credit, bro 8)
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

;)

Fooling around on some "design a t-shirt" site. I considered having them make and send this to me, but it was a little pricey.
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
nani

Post by nani »

Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

Nani, that was top tier! :)

And now for some American foreign policy:

http://www.acapela.tv/Sam-1-bcbbb4423e5f8
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
grrr

Post by grrr »

Doc Paterson wrote: Fooling around on some "design a t-shirt" site. I considered having them make and send this to me, but it was a little pricey.
My friend, you probably never have heard of iron-on transfer paper, or you don't have an inkjet printer. Anyhow - it is a very cheap way to make fun shirts. Though the quality may not be the best ...
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

The shirt would also have to be white.

I would suggest that you use a team-color rather than the base sprite. Though I agree it would be nice to have a Team Hodor shirt.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."