Allowing post-game Chat and Stats

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ozymandias

Allowing post-game Chat and Stats

Post by ozymandias »

Hmm, I agree that reserved nicks would be a nice feature, and though I don't think I'll bother myself with lists in the near future, those wouldn't hurt either.

But on a related point... how about instead of dis-couraging anti-social behaviour, something encourage social behaviour? What has bothered me a bit is the aprupt way you get dumped back right into the crowded MP lobby when winning/loosing a game - at that point I'd usually like to discuss a lucky kill or a valiant defense, but the lobby isn't really the place to do that. In theory of course, I could do it *before* I kill off the other leader (or the other way around), but usually I'm to caught up to remember. So how about some kind of "debrief lobby", maybe a chat window with statistics shown?

MOD NOTE: Split from Combatting anti-social behavior on the mp server
Last edited by ozymandias on February 21st, 2007, 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stilgar

Post by Stilgar »

I agree with ozymandias here, I've been playing MP games more often these days and I find the abrupt way in which games end rather disconcerting; there is no real place to say "good game" or "well played" or whatever after the game is concluded.
commanderkeen

Post by commanderkeen »

Yeah, a way to congradulate/compliment the other player(s) and generally talk about the game would be a great idea. Also, it would allow the players to discuss if they want to play another game more easily.
tsr

Post by tsr »

ok, I'm going to continue OT:

I think a beautiful solution would be for the game to just not kill the game when the game is over, and then offer a community based (so that all players share the same view) replay button to the players.

I think this would inspire people not only to stay and chat but also to review their game, etc.

/tsr
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

tsr wrote:I think a beautiful solution would be for the game to just not kill the game when the game is over
That would be great. I'm often pretty annoyed to get thrown back to the lobby immediately when the game is over, instead of being allowed to stay in and chat about how it went, etc (that's not nearly as convenient to do in the lobby).
Imp

Post by Imp »

zookeeper wrote:
tsr wrote:I think a beautiful solution would be for the game to just not kill the game when the game is over
That would be great. I'm often pretty annoyed to get thrown back to the lobby immediately when the game is over, instead of being allowed to stay in and chat about how it went, etc (that's not nearly as convenient to do in the lobby).
Is this because of lobby lag? I've always attributed the inconvenience to lobby lag, but perhaps there's a different underlying reason.
commanderkeen

Post by commanderkeen »

That, and the fact that it could annoy other players who are talking in the lobby. And, in the lobby you can't be as sure of the other players still being there and listening to you. Plus, of course, not all people want to chat in the lobby.
ozymandias

Post by ozymandias »

Pretty much the same reasons for me... lobby is majorly laggy, and the chatspace there should be used for stuff that might interest everybody, i.e. "anybody feel like a game with IE?" and stuff like that. An "after-game-lounge" would be more private, wouldn't bother anybody else and wouldn't be bothered by anybody else.

Also, it would be kind of symmetric to the pre-game chat - the epilogue to its prologue, as it were...
R121

Post by R121 »

An after-game chat would be great. If this gets implemented, another nice feature would be the option to create a rematch on the same map, or a different map, without needing to return to the lobby first. It would automatically slot the players into the correct positions for another game.
bert1

Post by bert1 »

I think this is a good idea too. Post mortems are half the fun. And I think there is often some psychological damage to players if there is not a proper de-briefing after the battle.
RCG Tiburon

Post by RCG Tiburon »

Can you say stats?

Halo 2 has a nice lobby system for this sort of thing (different genre i know, but it's a good idea).
Duffchong

Post by Duffchong »

It would be nice to have the victory/defeat announcements displayed in the right side of the screen in a format analogous to the chat display. The stats could also be displayed in that area, which would be nice because players could discuss the stats without having to constantly pull up windows. Also- like tsr said, offering the opportunity to issue a replay command would be just dandy.

From my non-programmer guesstimate, this would be simpler to implement than a new 'post-game chat 'n stat interface'.

Cheers,
Duffchong
Yogibear
Retired Developer

Post by Yogibear »

Imp wrote:Is this because of lobby lag? I've always attributed the inconvenience to lobby lag, but perhaps there's a different underlying reason.
No, the lobby lag hasn't got anything to do with it. It's simply because no one cared for implementing it yet. But it's a good idea. And unless i am completely mistaken it shouldn't be any difficult at all. I will keep that in mind :wink: .
Smart persons learn out of their mistakes, wise persons learn out of others mistakes!
SaintDust

Post by SaintDust »

On a slightly different note. What about private messaging people. right click on their names and chose private message or view Win/Loss games and other information about player..
Sorry if that is OT
Hurry up and take your time
Only the dead have seen the end of war