Combatting anti-social behavior on the mp serv

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

governor

Post by governor »

Zookeeper, is correct. It seems palloco's argument is better as an argument for integrating nickname reservation as quickly as possible. Thereby minimizing potential problems.
DEATH_is_undead

Post by DEATH_is_undead »

zookeeper wrote:
palloco wrote:Don't you think these people will start reserving names of known people such as Mythological, Turin, Gallifax or whatever.
Then those known people just need to ask an admin to get their name back. Sounds rather unlikely to happen in amounts large enough to be a real problem.
what if the poser asks administrator for the nick name?
3P MP Scenario - Great Dwarves Escape
The best way to learn is to follow. In order to learn WML, you have to follow other's work, and check their codes.
joshudson

Post by joshudson »

I hope you don't go to reserved names. I use Glorfindel online. I know of another who does. We are about 10 timezones apart and so almost never encounter each other. It would create a problem for one of us.
CHKDSK has repaired bad sectors in CHKDSK.EXE
palloco

Post by palloco »

DEATH_is_undead wrote:
zookeeper wrote: Then those known people just need to ask an admin to get their name back. Sounds rather unlikely to happen in amounts large enough to be a real problem.
what if the poser asks administrator for the nick name?
Exactly, maybe the admin can verify if he is one of their friends, but there are many people, and all around the world, and in most cases there is no way to check who is the one who "should" use that name.
That is another thing, having used a nickname for long time gives you more rights to maintain it than a newcomer?
Who will get the name if 2 people use it like joshudson appointed? Obviously the first one registering, something that will create tensions between some players.

This game has a great appeal to casual gamers because you can quickly start an online game. Registering may make it harder to get into an interesting game.
Haibane

Post by Haibane »

DEATH_is_undead wrote:What if the poser asks administrator for the nick name?
Could be problem with less known players without many friends at MP server (and they don't need "their" nicknames so much), but hardly with (fe) Mythological. Should be quite easy to find true Mythological :wink:
Generally, you should be able to confirm your identity when you ask for already registered nick (friends, forum account or so), otherwise it's first come first serve.
It should be rare anyway.
joshudson wrote:I hope you don't go to reserved names. I use Glorfindel online. I know of another who does. We are about 10 timezones apart and so almost never encounter each other. It would create a problem for one of us.
From the other point of view, now it can be confusing for other players or may there are problems which you don't see, fe. you spoiled reputation to your shadow player :P
I don't see problem here, if you must, use Glorfindel1 and Glorfindel2 fe. Or share your registration with your shadow if you don't mind. Or simply don't use it (in the case of optional registration).
It's your problem, not problem with registration, we want registration to prevent this :roll:

Finally, I agree with (optional) name registration. I lost my previous nick to some newcomer and even if I like my current one, it was pain with friends and may I even lost some during incident. And I wouldn't be happy to repeat it.

Edit:
Also should be response for you, palloco - there is nothing wrong about first come first serve system. It's not about rights, it's about problems with change for long term user and for newcomer. Similar to emails.
If it's all a dream, now wake me up. If it's all real, just kill me.
DEATH_is_undead

joshudson wrote:I hope you don't go to reserved names. I use Glorfindel online. I know of another who does. We are about 10 timezones apart and so almost never encounter each other. It would create a problem for one of us.
what if someones posing him in a differnt time zone?
3P MP Scenario - Great Dwarves Escape
The best way to learn is to follow. In order to learn WML, you have to follow other's work, and check their codes.
F8 Binds...
Saurian Cartographer

Post by F8 Binds... »

I surely can tell you that someone may imitate F8_Binds, but they will be caught quickly because of F8_Binds_n3t. Surely I wouldn't register without that in there. Maybe you can only sign up if you have an account on the forums, and this must be the same as your forum account or something. Creating this might be able to be done via forums, so that any phonies would be detected instantaneously. And it doesn't have to be done with posting, nor should it.
Proud creator of 4p- Underworld. Fascinated by Multiplayer design and balance.
I am the lone revenant of the n3t clan.
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

F8 Binds... wrote:I surely can tell you that someone may imitate F8_Binds, but they will be caught quickly because of F8_Binds_n3t. Surely I wouldn't register without that in there. Maybe you can only sign up if you have an account on the forums, and this must be the same as your forum account or something. Creating this might be able to be done via forums, so that any phonies would be detected instantaneously. And it doesn't have to be done with posting, nor should it.
As we discussed before in this thread, making a big lengthy, red taped regrestration process really doesen't go well with Wesnoth's mood - which is more casual, friendly and laid back. To reserve your name - if you feel like it - sounds far more easygoing to me - perhaps with an option to link it to your fourm name.

As the devs expressed before though, people trying to steel someone elses nickname should be rare enough that it should'nt be that much a problem. In other words - don't worry about it. If it happens the devs will handle it.
Creater of the campaign, "Northern Rebirth"

Compleater of the campaign, "Son of the Black Eye"
F8 Binds...
Saurian Cartographer

Post by F8 Binds... »

I suppose that works as well. Really, I'm fine as nobody tries to mimic my person online.
Proud creator of 4p- Underworld. Fascinated by Multiplayer design and balance.
I am the lone revenant of the n3t clan.
Zlodzei

Post by Zlodzei »

Taurus wrote:For some reason this proposal rubs me the wrong way. Perhaps it goes against my perception of Wesnoth. I myself have always viewed Wesnoth as pretty casual, and relaxed. Ratings, registrations, the and all that other red tape/restrictions don't really exist. You get to know peoples personalities and skill level from personally playing and intereacting with them, or other people that know them. It kind of resembles real life in the way that everyone isn't walking around all the time with this or that rating or title strapped to their forehead.

Oh the other hand, Wesnoth is getting bigger and bigger, and perhaps 'red tape' like this are starting to become necessary. But I personally prefer the relaxed system that we have now. With all the ratings and red tape... I just don't think it would be Wesnoth anymore...

P.S. It would be a lot of work to set up and maintain a system like this. Instead of deticating manpower to police the Karma system, why don't the just be general cops instead?
Agree.
I can see you!...
Zlodzei

Post by Zlodzei »

If u wish to implement authentication, u r better do it email based (so, it will require more efforts for asocials to get new nickname and no problems with non-static IP).

And, as for me, problem of "asocial element" is not actual for wesnoth on this stage because:
1) in wesnoth play people that enjoy USING their brains
2) who does not like using his brain won't stay for a long
3) community is still quite small and almost everyone knows everyone. (i mean non-new player).

Now more about authentication. Really, i do not enjoy this idea. I like in wesnoth anonymity (hate logging in in general :P ) and it also it's fun when only friends can guess your prime nickname. Heh, but regretfully with an expanding of wesnoth's community there are may be no other choice...if not today then tomorrow.

So, after all, here my view of this problem:

1) Authentication should be implemented.
2) No global rating system, but system of PERSONAL RATING, given manually by player and saved locally.
3) NOT ONLY Ratings for behaviour. I think that rating should have 2 dimensions at this point:
i)Behaviour
ii) level of gameplay
Also there should be possibility to mark players as "friends" and "banned"
And in future system of filters and ability to sort users by ratings (It's not a matter of today and even tomorrow)
4) Ability to easily exchange with RATING CONFIG files though backupping and exprting it. May be, in future, there should be a default RATING CONFIG, that will contain RATINGS of very few REMARKABLE persons (for example: forerunners, developers, tournament champions)
It would help new players to understand which games are they better to watch and in general to reveal "fathers" :)
5) As soon as behaviour problem is not really important, i think there SHOULD BE NO moderators and other privileged group of users. All groups of user had the same rights.
6) And...hm...May be, there should be a difference between login and alias. So person would be able to have 1 login , but many aliases and had a possibility to hide it's login and to reveal it only when anoniity can't be tolerated -- for example, in games of Tournament of champions.

P.S. Sorry for the flood. :)
I can see you!...
DEATH_is_undead

why not suspend the players who copy you? get there IP address, suspend them, they get back on, suspend that one!!!
Imp

Post by Imp »

DEATH_is_undead wrote:why not suspend the players who copy you? get there IP address, suspend them, they get back on, suspend that one!!!
Sounds like a lot of work.

How will you know they're back on with a new IP?
DEATH_is_undead

Expel them from the server! don't let either IP adresses on! if hes on a friends, he should ask why hes not playing on his com, so that should not be a problem.
and making reserved nicks would also be a problem. there would be more people mad at others on the MP server, and probobly people using it to hack into others coms, right? so no matter what, there will be these posers! the way it already is is good enough! and newcomers, what will they do? more stuff to learn, they would not want to join. it was hard enough to teach my mom to play, and this would be one of the 3 ways that i could contact her! thats the only reason she joined, reserved nicks, she wouldint have!
Mist
Inactive Developer

Post by Mist »

Ever heard of dynamic IP adress ranges? Half of the world uses them. Of course you could ban all of them, but hardly anyone could connect then.
Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep.
Disorder.