Speeding up gameplay

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

CuddleFish

Speeding up gameplay

Post by CuddleFish »

The main problem with Wesnoth IMO is the slowwwness of the MP games..
even when the players are good and move quickly, the games are slow as hell

wesnoth is fine if you play single player, the AI moves very fast, and if you dont have time you can always save and continue the game later

but with multiplayer, this is very difficult, I often find myself tied to my computer for 2 hours because my buddy wants to play on a "normal map" (instead of those puny 1 vs 1 maps)

does anyone have any ideas on speeing up gameplay? It would make wesnoth much more popular
(most people dont have 6 hours to waste everyday)
"Quantity has a quality of its own" Joesph Stalin
Baufo
Inactive Developer

Post by Baufo »

You mean something like "death match" options in other games?

PS: Obviously nobody has 6 every day to spend for Wesnoth but on a rainy sunday afternoon...
I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again. -- Oscar Wilde
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

Well, wesnoth is not a FPS, you have to learn some patience to play wesnoth MP. :)
JW

Post by JW »

1) turn off unit animations
2) use a timer
Viliam
Translator

Post by Viliam »

Maybe there could be some options to speed up multiplayer. For example your income from villages could be progressively decreased by 1 each turn. Like this:

(NOV = number of villages)

Income in turn 1: NOV + 2
Income in turn 2: NOV + 1
Income in turn 3: NOV
Income in turn 4: NOV - 1

After some time, players could not recruit large armies, and the game would be finishing (and getting faster). Yet having more villages than opponent would be an advantage...

However when it becomes impossible to recruit for both players, there is no more incentive to fight for villages, so both could just avoid combat and go to their preferred terrain. :-( This idea needs some improvement.
Baufo
Inactive Developer

Post by Baufo »

A simple limit where it stops to drop might do it. But what about doing it noth with income but units max hp. It goes down 1 or even 2 hp per turn for each new recruit. So a 30hp unit that is recruited at turn 5 gets 25hp.

Or simply starting with 300 gold but setting the income to -10?
I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again. -- Oscar Wilde
Becephalus
Inactive Developer

Post by Becephalus »

OK this thread is stupid. Yes games can be too slow sometimes, but when people are playing quickly if he game is still too slow for you MP TBS is JUST NOT FOR YOU.
There are three roads to ruin: by gambling, which is the quickest; through women, which is the most pleasurable; and through taking the advice of experts, which is the most certain. -de Gaulle
Viliam
Translator

Post by Viliam »

Baufo wrote:A simple limit where it stops to drop might do it.
Yeah, this could do it. The simplest way would be to specify the limit as a minimum "total income". For example if minimum total income is 10, the dropping will stop before the total income of all remaining players would drop below 10 gold per turns. So it leaves the incentive to fight for villages, but does not allow to recruit too many units.
Baufo wrote:But what about doing it noth with income but units max hp. It goes down 1 or even 2 hp per turn for each new recruit. So a 30hp unit that is recruited at turn 5 gets 25hp.
I like the idea, but it would unbalance factions, IMHO. If one unit is decreased from 40 to 30 HP, it is not so terrible as when another goes from 15 to 5 HP. Or something like this. Maybe the decrease could be in % rather than in absolute numbers.
CuddleFish

Post by CuddleFish »

Becephalus wrote:OK this thread is stupid. Yes games can be too slow sometimes, but when people are playing quickly if he game is still too slow for you MP TBS is JUST NOT FOR YOU.
Becephalus.... most people have something called a "life"
they dont sit in front of the computer all day like you
"Quantity has a quality of its own" Joesph Stalin
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

Cuddlefish.... shut it.

Putting up with your petulant personal attacks is not worth the small fruits your threads occasionally yield.
Cuyo Quiz wrote:I really should push for Temuchin's brainstorming with all my might someday, when the skies are cloudy, the winds dance and the light is free to roam over the soil along the fog.
Yogibear
Retired Developer

Post by Yogibear »

That doesn't make you have a point, though.

I have a life, a family, two children, time consuming work, a house, sports, friends etc.

Still i manage to find the time to play some wesnoth here and there. But (and this is a big "but"): You won't find me enter the server for playing with less than two hours time for it. Of course that needs some planning. However it's a matter of your attitude rather than intrinsic to the game.

There already is a solution to your problem, actually: It's called rumble. One major concern of people playing rumbles is that it does not take so much time. I don't enjoy rumbles very much but i played 3 or 4 when i was short on time.
Smart persons learn out of their mistakes, wise persons learn out of others mistakes!
jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by jb »

Becephalaus
if the game is still too slow for you MP TBS is JUST NOT FOR YOU.
Agreed, 1000%. Turn Based has never been known for speedy play. It requires thought and patience.

RTS - Click Fest is by far the more popular of the game styles. I hate those games, but I'm sure you can pick up Warcraft 3 for 10$ in the bargin bin.

CuddleFish
I often find myself tied to my computer for 2 hours
Wow, 2 hours isn't that long for a good game. A typical 2v2 game should last longer than this, imo, if it is a good match.
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
The Altaz Mariners - with Bob the Mighty
Becephalus
Inactive Developer

Post by Becephalus »

CuddleFish wrote:
Becephalus wrote:OK this thread is stupid. Yes games can be too slow sometimes, but when people are playing quickly if he game is still too slow for you MP TBS is JUST NOT FOR YOU.
Becephalus.... most people have something called a "life"
they dont sit in front of the computer all day like you
Heh I would suggest I spend something like 2 hours playing wesnoth a day, maybe 3? I hardly think thats abnormal for a hooby, and certainly not abnormal for a computer gamer. I would be careful before you find yourself entirely without sympathy.
There are three roads to ruin: by gambling, which is the quickest; through women, which is the most pleasurable; and through taking the advice of experts, which is the most certain. -de Gaulle
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Uh, play with 1 gpv on a small 1vs1 map. Usually I can get one done in 5-15 minutes.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
JW

Post by JW »

Becephalus > Cuddlingfish