Defense of the Goblin II - A new version, a new world!

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

MCP

Re: Defense of the Goblin II - A new version, a new world!

Post by MCP »

I uploaded version 2.3.3 after testing it out:
1. Changed the cost of upgrading hero HP to 25 gold. It now also heals a 'free' +10 hp.
2. Changed the prices of some custom creeps. Added in the cuttle fish.

I won the game despite my ally being a first timer and the other side pretty much dominating me. I ended up gating in with the saurian skirmisher at night, two or three hit kill.
MCP

Post by MCP »

Uploaded version 2.3.4:
I am trying some things to hopefully make the town portal less abusable.
1. It costs 15 gold to use.(worth it to steal a village for one turn, but not if you lose it before you get the gold)
2. It displays in RED, town portal.
3. It moves you next to the shop 'TOWN', and leaves every unit with at most 2 movement. This allows even mermen to reach shop.
4. You can still attack and TP out safely, or take a village and TP out safely.

So a little bit less abusable.
MCP

Post by MCP »

Uploaded version 2.3.5:
1. Fixed that stupid bug where units go invisible when they die, and then again when they are resurrected. Now they not only re-appear on their next turn, you can laugh at them while they wait in purgatory.

2. Changed the initial cost of a town portal spell from 15 to 5, but only for the first purchase. After the first purchase, it goes up to 15 and stays there.

3. Re-arranged the shop menu just a bit. It now shows the amount of damage/exp/healing each of those spells will do in the bottom shop; where it should be.

next stop: healing spells will heal a percentage of total health.
MCP

Post by MCP »

New bugs/things:
1. When some is killed, they still gain exp. This can be problematic close to leveling up, because they have can like 41/40 XP required to lvl.
2. Are berserkers too cheap? I'm not sure lol. I think they're ok, but maybe 5 more gold or so.
3. I'm thinking of adding a tentacle rape, err swarm attack weapon for heroes. The less HP you have the less effective it is. Also the opposite, the less HP you have, the more effective it is(more #strikes).
MCP

Post by MCP »

I uploaded version 2.3.6:
1. Re-arranged the shop to be more new player friendly. Mostly extra descriptions and compact. Got rid of the marketplace and its bums, one way or another.
2. Changed cost of Berserker to 34 gold on first turn, so you can't buy three of them per person.
3. Added flashy text to all spells, so you know what just happened. It will say 'TOWN PORTAL' or 'XP DRAIN' for instance.

I think that's it.
lightdragon

Post by lightdragon »

spells are very overpowered--- for 4 g u can get 2dmg.. if you have around 200g then u can get lots of dmg and spells +saurian skirmisher+ dmg spell= BAAANG
MCP

Post by MCP »

Someone else finally noticed ;). hahaha yea. Combine a damage spell with skirmish yea that could be powerful. For 80 gold you could have a 40 damage spell. Then buy one first turn, you could drop any one+ enemy heroes. Assuming they didn't spend any gold first turn, they'd lose about 31 gold, your team would get 75 gold on 3 players. Totally worth it economically speaking.
TheChosenOne

Post by TheChosenOne »

lightdragon wrote:spells are very overpowered--- for 4 g u can get 2dmg.. if you have around 200g then u can get lots of dmg and spells +saurian skirmisher+ dmg spell= BAAANG
I beg to differ.
A few days ago, I tried out the spell strat. I played a 2v2 vs Sonic.
My team consisted of saurian skirmisher + mage and the other team has a queen + dark adept (MERC era)

At first, yes, I was pwning them both left and right...but as the game progresses, I realised that you can only use one spell per turn, so you can't use damage spell and town portal spell at the same time. This means that the enemy could steal my villages and get more income than I could from killing them both.

Of course, this is an exceptional case, as not only the Queen is powerful, with 25-4 melee drain and 12-7 plague slow ranged (upgraded at shop), but the wasps that she creates with the plague allows her to hold my villages. Even with 130 damage spell, I was unable to recapture my lost villages, which translates to a 100g loss per turn. Also, in a 3v3, my team would not be so easily outmanouvred, especially without merc. era.
Numbers do not win a battle
---Konrad III
(A loyal member of the pro-loyalists)

Would you like to translate the Battle of Wesnoth into Indonesian? Then come and join us at http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/IndonesianTranslation
MCP

Post by MCP »

Also, HP grows exponentially(by percentage), damage spell grows linearly, so pretty soon HP will be higher than damage from spells. This is again one of those short term useful things to get an economic edge and it may be coincidentally useful later on in the game if you've attacked a hero or goblin, left it at only a few hit points, and then cast damage spell.

I am considering if rage is overpowered because it doubles your damage output to the goblin with enough damage/strikes even though it is perfectly fine against everything else. It is THE weapon to buy to warp/kill the goblin in one turn.
MCP

Post by MCP »

Version 2.3.8 Uploaded:
* Tried to make the Library more clear with some more helpful tips.
* Tried to Balance the price of weapons a lot more by considering the price of damage/strikes.
- Mostly, rage is more expensive(50 gold), ranged attacks are not magical anymore. Added a marksman melee blade and marksman ranged bow. Drain is a lot more expensive and is arcane only. All regular weapons are 7-3, 20 gold base.
* Ancient's Gym: Strikes cost 36, damage costs 6, so the optimal damage/strike ratio is exactly 6:1, before strikes cost 38 so it was off by a bit.
* Changed the cost increase for changing the terrain. It goes up by 10% + 1 each time, starting at 8 gold. So it goes 8,9,10,12,14 and so on. Before it grew by 50%!!! The price would quickly explode out of range.

* I tried yet again for it to show 'shopping' or something, but I simply can't make it update until the shop is over. I don't even know what makes the shop update for everyone when someone finishes. Is it the shop prompt that causes this? If that is the case then I am going to try a pre shop menu, where people just hit 'ok', then it will pop you into the real shop afterwards.

I also tried Baufo's version 2.4 og DotG II, but the shops don't work after the first turn... ???

Some things I want to change potentially: The % the bankrobber blades works at. The terrain changing feature will include some 'worse' terrain. That is there will be some mountains in the hills pack, there will be some shallow or deep water in the ford pack. I still don't know if the damage spell is really cheap, if it is too easy to kill the goblin with skirmish or a fast moving unit, then I will definitely change it.
Delek-Ouzken

Post by Delek-Ouzken »

(sorry for my english)

I found 1 bug in each version of DOTG :

In classical version : Shop don't work after the first turn...
In DOTG CC version : You can win gold easily with the chaman (when you are full heal, you win 1 gold per click on "full heal")
MCP

Post by MCP »

Thanks, I will check out the bug in dotg cc, however I messaged baufo a long time ago about the shop bug and he hasn't responded.

Edit:

Version 2.3.9:
1. Fixed above mentioned bug: (free gold if maxHP==currentHP)
* Shaman charges zero when current HP == max HP
* Shaman charges one for when 0 < maxHP-currentHp < 20 (or 15?)
* Shaman charges two for when 20 <= maxHP-currentHP < 30
* and so on.
2. Slightly reduced price for creep upgrades.
* 17 gold per damage point
* 33 gold per strike
* 51 gold per HP upgrade
* 51+33+17 = 101, no first turn plus one to hp/strike/dam.
* 33*2 + 17*2 = 100, first turn 2 strikes/2 damage possible.
* 33*3 = 99, first turn 3 strikes possible.
* 51+17*2 = 85, first turn HP/2damage possible.
* 17*5 = 85, 5 damage possible.
* 51+33 = 84, HP and one strike possible.
3. Upped the spell damage increase price from 4 gold to 5 gold.

For wesnoth 1.5.6 there are many bugs, I will try to get WML lint or something. Run it, check it. Right now the AI does not function after turn one, and every attack gets the bank robber blade bonus. Very few bugs noticed bugs considering. Shop appears to function properly.
Delek-Ouzken

Post by Delek-Ouzken »

Thanks a lot. Now I can play DOTG.
MCP

Post by MCP »

I have run WML Lint. It appears to work in 1.5.8. Uploaded to the add ons for 1.5.
MCP

Post by MCP »

I will update it for 1.6 and test it out. Will be updating this weekend unless there are some serious bugs.