An Unnatural Winter (MP Campaign)

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Rhuvaen
Inactive Developer

Post by Rhuvaen »

Version 0.5.0 is now on the 1.3.3 campaign server.

The villagers flee (not always a good idea, but generally gives players more of a chance to catch up), enemy traits depending on difficulty are now working, reworked the map a little, lowered Dil Gaddyn's starting gold but increased his village gold (making him a more powerful enemy if given the chance).

I think all those changes since 0.4.1 add a lot to the gameplay, and if you haven't played the new version for 1.3.3 yet you should! :wink:
Truper

Post by Truper »

I'm looking forward to trying it! Maybe Saturday...
Nosmos

Post by Nosmos »

we played teh first mission on challange
wasnt really hard, but we only had a 90 gold bonus in the end

something really strange : all the orcish archers and assassins only attacked melee, ever vs horses during day, only unit the archers did attack range where mages

####
aggression=1.4
caution=0.7
####

thats the setting for side 5
i always thought aggression shoud be 0-1.0 ? was that changed in 1.3.3 ?
and caution 0.7 + aggression 1.4 really looks strange
with aggression = 1.0 the cpu always attacks if it can do damage, i dont think caution will have an effect here
Rhuvaen
Inactive Developer

Post by Rhuvaen »

Truper wrote:I'm looking forward to trying it! Maybe Saturday...
So - did you? :)
Nosmos wrote:we played teh first mission on challange
wasnt really hard, but we only had a 90 gold bonus in the end
Yeah, it's still designed as part of a campaign - finishing it isn't really hard, but doing reasonably well is (like not losing lots of Drakes, getting and keeping some mages for those sides that won't be able to recruit mages later on and so on).
Nosmos wrote:something really strange : all the orcish archers and assassins only attacked melee, ever vs horses during day, only unit the archers did attack range where mages
Of course, that would also affect difficulty. I saw exactly the same when I tested it. I've used those AI settings since 1.0.2 and never had a problem with them. Checking out the wiki now I agree with you - I find a much cleaner description of aggression now and think I must have misinterpreted the information earlier! I believe earlier it said that values up to 2.0 have a meaning... :?

Thanks for pointing that out, Nosmos! :D I'll try to change that and see if it was the problem.

EDIT: uploaded the fix as version 0.5.1.
Rhuvaen
Inactive Developer

Post by Rhuvaen »

I uploaded a new version of Unnatural Winter (0.5.2) onto the development campaign server (version 1.3.6).

I fixed some of the critical bugs with scenario two, and while technically it would have been possible to continue onwards with scenario two, I've taken it out because it still has so many issues and practically no "meat". So the good news is it's on its way, the other news is that I'm taking it to the dry dock until it is.

I corrected some possible bugs on the first scenario when some players positions aren't filled. This scenario is better than ever since version 0.5. So all in all, still worth a try. :wink:
Olf

Continue Unnatural Winter

Post by Olf »

Hi Rhuvaen!
Great Work you have done the last months! I load the newest version from development server (1.3.8) and played it with friends in Hot Seat mode.
Because we could not play till the end of the first scenario we saved and tried to reload. But Wesnoth said there were "illegal characters" in the map.

Do you know anything about a problem with the new map scheme?

Unfortunaly I see no way to continue this fine game yet.

Update: I tested with stable version, it works here. Me and my friends will restart, use the stable version. Can you estimate it is a bug in your WML or a bug in C++ engine?

Best Regards,
Olf
Duck and cover!
Rhuvaen
Inactive Developer

Re: Continue Unnatural Winter

Post by Rhuvaen »

Hi Olf,

Thanks for the kind words of appreciation.
Olf wrote:Because we could not play till the end of the first scenario we saved and tried to reload. But Wesnoth said there were "illegal characters" in the map.

Do you know anything about a problem with the new map scheme?
Are you sure it mentioned the map, and not the save in general?
Olf wrote:Unfortunaly I see no way to continue this fine game yet.

Update: I tested with stable version, it works here. Me and my friends will restart, use the stable version. Can you estimate it is a bug in your WML or a bug in C++ engine?
I'll look into it - it's a problem with my WML I suspect (although a quirkiness in the WML parser, too).
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

I still support this map for mainline inclusion. You need to let Ivanovic know so he can approve it for the next stable. There is going to be a MAJOR string freeze soon. So hurry up and finish that dialogue if you haven't already. ;) Then you have to run it by Doc Paterson for the final stamp. Sorry I haven't been around much lately.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Rhuvaen
Inactive Developer

Post by Rhuvaen »

I just uploaded a fixed version 0.5.3 on the campaign server - saves should work now. In the process I also changed the gold/income locks so that they work.

Sapient, I'm pretty sure you don't mean this scenario, but Dark Forecast? :)
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

whoops! yeah, I posted in the wrong thread. good catch.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Rhuvaen
Inactive Developer

Post by Rhuvaen »

I just realized this hadn't been updated for recent dev versions. Here's a quick release (v0.5.4 - on the add-on server) which is just wmllint run over it to make sure it's up-to-date for wesnoth 1.3.13 (and upcoming 1.3.14).
nelson

Re: An Unnatural Winter (MP Campaign)

Post by nelson »

I just attempted to play Unnatural Winter MP 0.5.4 on Wesnoth 1.4, and had a fatal error in the 2nd level... I had a fencer controlled by side 1 walk onto the goblin banner, he said "ha! down with this rag!" and then the Error appeared:

Error while playing the game: game_error: invalid side(8) found in unit definition.

Can you please fix this or help me find a workaround? I was really enjoying the scenario until the game crashed.
Attachments
An_Unnatural_Winter_replay.gz
Replay of level 1 on easy, which went fine. However, the Drake player wasn't limited in gold the way the instructions said he would be.
(82.91 KiB) Downloaded 240 times
Don't_Play_Me-Auto-Save5.gz
Level 2 autosave, right before the game crashes when player 1's fencer grabs the goblin banner.
(86.21 KiB) Downloaded 275 times
Rhuvaen
Inactive Developer

Post by Rhuvaen »

Hi nelson,

Thanks for your appreciation. :)

The second scenario is a completely bugged, work-in-process mess that I am going to continue working on soon (I keep telling myself that for the last year or so, so it must be right :oops:). I plan to concentrate on finishing this for 1.5, now that we have a stable version with MP campaign support.
jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by jb »

Rhuvaen
I am going to continue working on soon (I keep telling myself that for the last year or so, so it must be right )
You know, this has been an ongoing project for a long time. It would be a shame to leave this gem unfinished. I consider it in many ways the orginal MP campaign (even if it has more bugs than the swamp) and perhaps it's time to make it a priority to finish this one.

Right after you help me with my WML problems of course. :P
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
The Altaz Mariners - with Bob the Mighty
Rhuvaen
Inactive Developer

Post by Rhuvaen »

jb wrote:It would be a shame to leave this gem unfinished.
Aye.

That's why I'm slowly polishing it up. ;)

Another release, 0.5.6, concentrates on polishing the presentation - by adding story images and side-specific intro explanations - and makes it conform better with today's WML standards. Published for both the 1.4 stable and 1.5 versions.

Now I just want to add some score-keeping mechanism and report the scores in the epilogue, remove the death of any leader loss condition (so you can keep on playing when your friends are foolish), and then nothing is in the way of getting scenario 2 to run.