Upgrade the Shadow

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

JW

Upgrade the Shadow

Post by JW »

I had the thought yesterday, after playing some Age of Heroes MP, that the Shadow is still weak compared to his brother the Wraith. He's pretty devastating in night attacks, but he's easily killed once he deals his backstab damage. He has no ranged defensive weapon, and he deals less melee damage than the Wraith (when not backstabbing), and without drain. To compensate for this he gets Nightstalk and +1hp. His Nightstalk is useless once he's made an attack - he's now visible for a turn; so the only benefit the Shadow now has over the Wraith is his +1hp.

This is a real bummer. Now I know Shadows are used much differently than Wriaths, and that they are quite devastating when they get their backstab. The problem is, that I see, is that in any situation where you might level up into a Shadow (for Deafault play), you would almost always want to level into a Wraith. This has been mentioned before, I know.

Since it would probably be overkill to add more damage or resistance to the Shadow, I think his hp should be boosted slightly to make him longer-lasting and a more appealing choice when compared to the Wraith.

I don't know exactly how much of a boost would be appropriate, but I was thinking 28 or 29 hp and then 38 or so hp for the Nightgaunt - that's about a 10% increase. (Just to get the ball rolling.)

Since the Shadow cannot regain hp like the Wraith - or even the level 1 Ghost! - I think the unit should be compensated by some amount of hp increase.
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

Seconded. That or augment its worst resistances so he becomes the real almost invulnerable unit.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
Dragon Master

Post by Dragon Master »

thirded. So far whenever I see a ghost level up to a shadow, I can kill it next turn
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

Half-baked idea of mine:

Give it Regeneration.
The Shadow could be made into something that can make extremely nasty strikes (with backstab), however take a whole load of damage in return, then hopefully limp off to recover (with the help of Nightstalk and perhaps some friendly ZoC).

Anyone else think this could work? It would be somewhat more interesting then raising HP.

PS. That is poorly explained. Apologies.
kshinji

Post by kshinji »

i agree - it should have regeneration, and it woulkd solve the problem with a bit of balancing. Give me reason why he losses it?
User:Kshinji
Probably there's no point for me posting here, but i'll raise my PC to 1337 before leaving again ;P -- just kidding.
yeeha

Post by yeeha »

I agree too, everytime i take shadow i am asked why did u take him :P and i regret trying to make use of backstab over wraith 1-2 turns later :).
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Don't upgrade the Shadow, downgrade the Wraith. Make its melee weaker and do Cold damage.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Undead is my fave faction, but I think I have to agree with EP on this one.
Alks

Post by Alks »

Elvish Pillager wrote:Don't upgrade the Shadow, downgrade the Wraith. Make its melee weaker and do Cold damage.
Not so harshly. EITHER decrease melee OR do Cold damage. Wraiths are powerful, but they are important to the faction - they have to be powerful. That's why I'm also for giving regeneration to Shadow - he has to be a good alternative.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Alks wrote:
Elvish Pillager wrote:Don't upgrade the Shadow, downgrade the Wraith. Make its melee weaker and do Cold damage.
Not so harshly. EITHER decrease melee OR do Cold damage.
What, is the Cold damage type some sort of disadvantage? I always thought of it as mildly better than Blade, in general.

The main reason I said to change to cold is that reducing the melee damage without switching to cold would result in RIPLIB concerns.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
JW

Post by JW »

It would be nice if the Wraith did Cold, but I remember that idea being shot down. I would prefer to keep the Cold drain on the ghost because the RIPLB is really annoying versus every faction except Rebels and Undead. Undead v Undead won't create any Wraiths though.
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

*checks*

It doesn't do Cold?. Well, unless someone start spamming bats and their Cold res i guess one shouldn't have problems.

Now... why it was decided none should do Cold. One of them must, right?.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Wraiths do have cold damage, it's just only on their ranged Wail attack. I wonder if that was the reasoning behind not giving their sword cold damage as well.
'
I also think it's cheap to give Wraiths blade damage because then it negates how fearsome I think Woses should be to Undead.

Yeah, I'd really like to see the thread where this idea got shot down.
toms

Post by toms »

What about less movement costs in water for the shadow?

Or downgrade the wraith by regiving the complete holy weakness (-100%)?

First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
Silence of Echo

Post by Silence of Echo »

toms wrote:What about less movement costs in water for the shadow?

Or downgrade the wraith by regiving the complete holy weakness (-100%)?

The undead already have enough movement over water. The holy weakness would only be for rebels or loyalists. no one else does holy damage.