A Random RPG Adventure

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

PapaSmurfReloaded

Re: A Random RPG Adventure

Post by PapaSmurfReloaded »

Update the screenshots in the first page. :D
jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by jb »

Hi Papa,

I gave this scenario a go today. There are really a lot of great things here!

I didn't finish the map so these are incomplete thoughts. If i say something silly I don't mean to be obtuse.

Overall, I found it a 'bit' tedious playing alone, but I'm totally sure it would be a lot more fun with a good group. I played Classic AI DM as all 4 random units (Dwarf Guardsman, Drake Burner, Wose, Troll Whelp)

I've got a pros and cons list of things I liked and my opinion on things that could be improved.

-I really like healing after battles, this really keeps things moving
-I like the fatigue/thrist/hunger system (though i felt the penalties a bit weak at -3 HP)
-I like the options at town - town is simple and fun
-I like alignment growth (though I haven't seen a benefit to it yet!)
-I like the quest system, it's really cool (though it's buried deep in the tavern menu and easy to miss)
-I like how resurrection works (I'd even add a gold penalty for death)
-I like the shared inventory (though why isn't gold shared too?)

-I didn't like that I couldn't choose my advancement. My Drake Burner leveled on defense into the Flare when I preferred the Fire Drake.
-I don't like that I have to click click click the Profession action. It's 5 clicks each use. I don't need to see a dialogue box for the attempt, then the roll, then the result. Attempt, roll, and result can all be reduced to 1 dialogue box? If not, just display the result.
-I was constantly clicking into the menu to see the Party Status. It was a lot of clicks. A good solution here is to actually display the Hunger/Thirst/Fatigue status on the actual map as labels. Each label as it's own color. (maybe Red for fatigue, blue for thirst, and brown for hunger?) It's important enough to warrant a constant display. Plus, it adds drama as you see the stress meter rise after each action! (additionally, it reminds players that Profession costs fatigue...I missed this for long time).

CRAFTING:

I personally don't like crafting in games. This is just my opinion, I know it's very popular & most people like it. I find it tedious (esp. in multiplayer). So, I was a bit annoyed that crafting can fail. Though I guess this is to balance the number of ore/animals found. Also, I was unsure of the crafting 'tree' for weapons and armor?. It seemed different for each unit? Still, there are some good things here. It's important to have an upgrade system and this one is unique! Anyway to streamline this or make it fewer clicks would be welcomed.

CAMPING:

I was (and am still) a bit confused when and how to camp. Perhaps limit camps to item use. e.i. you can only make camp if you have firewood item. This also increases the value of towns/inns.

TYPO:
In the Professions help manual it reads "Each side counts with" and should be "Each side starts with"???

Really nice work! I will give it a more complete go in the future.

cheers,
jb
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
The Altaz Mariners - with Bob the Mighty
PapaSmurfReloaded

jb wrote: August 17th, 2018, 4:36 am Hi Papa,

I gave this scenario a go today. There are really a lot of great things here!

I didn't finish the map so these are incomplete thoughts. If i say something silly I don't mean to be obtuse.

Overall, I found it a 'bit' tedious playing alone, but I'm totally sure it would be a lot more fun with a good group. I played Classic AI DM as all 4 random units (Dwarf Guardsman, Drake Burner, Wose, Troll Whelp)

I've got a pros and cons list of things I liked and my opinion on things that could be improved.

-I really like healing after battles, this really keeps things moving
-I like the fatigue/thrist/hunger system (though i felt the penalties a bit weak at -3 HP)
-I like the options at town - town is simple and fun
-I like alignment growth (though I haven't seen a benefit to it yet!)
-I like the quest system, it's really cool (though it's buried deep in the tavern menu and easy to miss)
-I like how resurrection works (I'd even add a gold penalty for death)
-I like the shared inventory (though why isn't gold shared too?)

-I didn't like that I couldn't choose my advancement. My Drake Burner leveled on defense into the Flare when I preferred the Fire Drake.
-I don't like that I have to click click click the Profession action. It's 5 clicks each use. I don't need to see a dialogue box for the attempt, then the roll, then the result. Attempt, roll, and result can all be reduced to 1 dialogue box? If not, just display the result.
-I was constantly clicking into the menu to see the Party Status. It was a lot of clicks. A good solution here is to actually display the Hunger/Thirst/Fatigue status on the actual map as labels. Each label as it's own color. (maybe Red for fatigue, blue for thirst, and brown for hunger?) It's important enough to warrant a constant display. Plus, it adds drama as you see the stress meter rise after each action! (additionally, it reminds players that Profession costs fatigue...I missed this for long time).

CRAFTING:

I personally don't like crafting in games. This is just my opinion, I know it's very popular & most people like it. I find it tedious (esp. in multiplayer). So, I was a bit annoyed that crafting can fail. Though I guess this is to balance the number of ore/animals found. Also, I was unsure of the crafting 'tree' for weapons and armor?. It seemed different for each unit? Still, there are some good things here. It's important to have an upgrade system and this one is unique! Anyway to streamline this or make it fewer clicks would be welcomed.

CAMPING:

I was (and am still) a bit confused when and how to camp. Perhaps limit camps to item use. e.i. you can only make camp if you have firewood item. This also increases the value of towns/inns.

TYPO:
In the Professions help manual it reads "Each side counts with" and should be "Each side starts with"???

Really nice work! I will give it a more complete go in the future.

cheers,
jb
-In order to camp you need to click in an adjacent hex while there are no enemies in a 6 hexes radius.
-Crafting options depend on the unit level, I believe the categories are 0/1, 2, or 3 or higher.

-Reducing the amount of clicks is something is something I've done in the past and I should take a look to see if I can do something about in the crafting menu in future versions.
-I'll see if I can think of a non invasive way to display to Thirst, Hunger and Fatigue, either on the map or by right clicking.
-ARRPGA crafting is really, really basic.
While I gave it a somewhat big rework some time ago, I can still be improved.
I want it to be a a way to improve units slightly (unlike SX or Colloseum) while keeping it rather simple.
-About being able to choose the advancement, I'll see if I can find out how to do that.
-I like the idea of losing gold when resurrecting a unit, maybe halving it just like experience.
PapaSmurfReloaded

Minor update with changes to a couple of maps.
PapaSmurfReloaded

Uploaded a new version with a few minor changes in gambling and the manual.
Now resurrecting a unit costs 25 gold to the side doing it (not the side of unit being resurrected).

Soon I'll start working on a new patch with quests for the Classic Map.
PapaSmurfReloaded

New version, it's got a few new quests in Classic AI DM map.
PapaSmurfReloaded

New version: Improved a little quests in AI DM mode.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Hi. Some suggestions:
-It would be nice if there a few smaller maps (the size of the average bfw multiplayer maps) for the human DM mode.
-It would also be very great if the addon came with a multiplayer mod that allowed using the human dm interface on any map (with the dm side being adjustable by [slider] in [options]), but a few smaller maps should be enough, I suppose.
PapaSmurfReloaded

ForestDragon wrote: September 17th, 2018, 8:48 am Hi. Some suggestions:
-It would be nice if there a few smaller maps (the size of the average bfw multiplayer maps) for the human DM mode.
-It would also be very great if the addon came with a multiplayer mod that allowed using the human dm interface on any map (with the dm side being adjustable by [slider] in [options]), but a few smaller maps should be enough, I suppose.
Well, the idea of making the DM mode work as a "mod" sounds cool, I'll see if I can figure it out how to do it.
PapaSmurfReloaded

Tweaked the party health system and things related (campsites and manual).
PapaSmurfReloaded

Added more variety to random monster spawns in AI map.
Level 2 units spawn Level 2 and 1 (rather than just 2)
Level 3 units spawn Level 3 and 2 (rather than just 3)
PapaSmurfReloaded

Players now have a choice to select companions at random in the AI Map.
PapaSmurfReloaded

Small update:
-Gathering resources now has a lesser chance of finding items.
-When you sleep, now a sound is played corresponding to the time of the day.
PapaSmurfReloaded

New version, testing an improved version of random terrain events.
Events or items that caused damage now use harm unit instead of effect.